Hi, I have been playing guitar for over 30 years but never really paid much attention to the positioning of the guitar when sitting as opposed to standing. Lately I began to notice that when sitting my left hand seems more relaxed and comfortable and I'm able to play difficult licks or solos more accurately with more speed. What I found was that when sitting, I tend to angle or tilt the guitar slightly towards me, which gives me a better view of the fret board and also that positioning gives better leverage or positioning on the fret board allowing me to play faster and more accurately. When standing, I have noticed that the guitar fret board is in more of a vertical position as the guitar rests parallel to my body. This makes it a little harder to play and seems to hinder my speed and accuracy. Anybody else ever notice this or am I just getting old and losing flexibility? I was thinking of a way to force the guitar to tilt slightly when standing.
I like the beer belly idea but I work too hard to try to keep from getting one so won't do it for me.

Anyway, what I would like to know is does anyone tilt the guitar when sitting and do you find that this helps as far as comfort, speed, and accuracy in playing?
Just for reference, there is no 'correct' way to hold a guitar, so long as the fretboard isn't facing your body, you're good to go

Personally I like a middle height guitar when standing, so the center of the guitar is pretty much at belt buckle level. Funnily enough the other guitarist (a James Hetfield fan) wears his super low to the point where my crotch is still higher the upper horn. Our drummer who plays a minor bit of guitar on his own wears his like the Beatles, so everyone really is different.

A trap a lot of players fall into is playing difficult guitar passages sitting down, specifically if they start juking the neck quite high for ease of access. You're just not going to get that ease standing or playing live. Sometimes mastering a solo can mean mastering it sat down, and then mastering it stood. Petrucci songs are an absolute mother for this kind of thing, just when you think you've got it, it's time to learn with the training wheels off.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I also find it easier to play whilst sitting down, which is what I have been doing for the past 11 years. Now that I joined a band, I find myself having to adapt a little bit. It'll be interesting if I can become equally good at both.
When I have to play fast in our songs, I stand on my left foot while lifting the right high up, resting the guitar on it. And then I anchor my right foot on my left thigh, such that it doesn't slip. I find this position really comfy for shorter periods of time. This way, I get the guitar in the same position as if I were sitting, and can get those solos down.
Always have it on a strap so it's in the same position whether sitting or standing.
Only have an acoustic at the moment and I used to play it sitting down with the guitar on my right knee.

Recently I have been following some instructional video in which I found out my picking hand is incorrectly positioned. I now find that it feels awkward on my shoulder sitting with the guitar as above. Switched it to the left knee and it's all good now. Guess left knee is more representative of how the guitar would be positioned I were wearing a strap.
I once had an instructor tell me to "hold it like you would a woman".

Apparently he did NOT mean to use both hands around the neck...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Hold it like I hold a woman?

What part of the guitar, exactly, is the "butt"?
Quote by Arby911

He's right, I hold my guitar like a woman. I sit and look at it from across the room and imagine how cool itd be to touch it but never actually do. Surprisingly this strategy hasn't made me better in either field
I cannot do a barre chord while sitting. Maybe it's my chair. Is there any benefit to buying a guitar stool as opposed to a church basement folding chair?
Quote by jhaynes2
I cannot do a barre chord while sitting. Maybe it's my chair. Is there any benefit to buying a guitar stool as opposed to a church basement folding chair?

I play exclusively on a folding chair my church was getting rid of, funny enough. The chair is never going to make a difference. If you can't do it you have to just keep trying until you can
I play with the guitar on the left knee for anything technically demanding, and on the right if I'm just playing.

If you're having technique trouble, I'd suggest using the left knee, and elevating the left foot with a footstool or a thick book or something else about 6" high.
Leaning the guitar slightly towards you isn't a bad thing, and in fact was recommended by my teacher and many books I was going through when I was playing classical guitar. On an acoustic, it angles the sound hole slightly up which allows the sound to project further in a room. It also shifts the center of gravity, meaning the shear weight of your fingers can do most of the work and not the muscles (great for full Barre chords). I don't know how you would "force" this standing up except by experimenting with the length of your strap and making sure you're standing up straight.