Hey I have a question, I have a very small buget and want some feedback from you guys. I have a 6 channel 100 watt receiver (designed for surround sound but you can run it to run just 6 power amps and everything directly from the input, and yes there are 6 amps in the thing)

and I was wondering instead of studio monitors, why not car audio? im not a huge music composer or recorder, much more of a hobby than anything but I was thinking of getting some car audio speakers like 2 subs and some 6x9" 3 way speakers just for kinda a nice sound, I would probably build some wood enclosures for the speakers or course.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on studio monitors or a whole new speaker system and I do other things besides recording, I do SOME electronic/dubstep music production and gaming as well so an all around system that could get good bass would be cool, again I am not shooting for getting the most accurate or superior sound, just something that sounds GOOD

(BTW I was thinking about going with JBL and some 10" subs, iv bought some speakers from them before and they are great for the price) any thoughts, concerns, or suggestions, let me know in the comments below
You need to correctly match the impedance of the car audio speakers.

They're typically different than home audio. It depends on what your receiver can handle.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Pioneer Kenwood amp is the go-to for cheap, but effective amps. Then these bad boys match the best (shallow mount ones pictured), but Type S's are great value/cheaper too:

Quote by wahappen
You need to correctly match the impedance of the car audio speakers.

They're typically different than home audio. It depends on what your receiver can handle.

Not only that, but building a cabinet for speakers is a lot more involving than just sticking some MDF together.

TS, I'd seriously reconsider the car audio idea. Grab some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and an SW150 if you positively must have a sub, or just grab some second hand Kefs or B&Ws off eBay or so.
You can buy pre-assembled woofer cabinets with the perfect amount of baffle built in.
Sure! Why not?

So long as you learn the sonic attributes of your own system so you can deliver well mixed and EQ'd material. It is far more about your creative style, taste, and technical capabilities, than the speakers you produce, mix and EQ the material on.

Get the best gear you can afford and go from there.

Many of the biggest hits from the last several deacades were mixed and EQ'd specifically so that they sounded great when played through car stereos and boom boxes.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Last edited by MusicLaw at May 10, 2016,
Studio speakers are designed to be as "neutral" as possible meaning no exaggerated lows or highs. For listening purposes this may sound boring at times but for recording and pro audio purposes it's essential. If your system has sub woofers and screaming tweeters it will give you the impression that you have enough bass, high end or other tones in your mixes when in reality they are only audible on your system. Take that same recording mix to another system and it sounds like crap with really bad and unbalanced frequencies. For the same reason it's not good to mix on speakers designed for a PA system. They may have cost hundreds of dollars each but were optimized for live PA work at high volumes not mixing or recording.

There is a reason that studio monitors cost so much. Intense engineering, tweaking and design is done by audio professionals to create and manufacture monitors that will give your great, flat sound and the ability to handle volume peaks and give consistent tone at any output level. Car audio just won't do it. It's a bad idea.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 10, 2016,
UPDATE:
I have impedance matching by adding a small 4 ohm tweeter and running it in series for the 6x9 speaker channels so its matched at 8 ohms, the subs ill be running stereo with some two 10" for just the fun of it (still looking for subs) and I am getting dual voice coil subs so I can either get their impedance to 2 or 8 ohms depending on how I wire them. The cabs for the subs are covered but I did hook up some older car speakers in no cab of course and they did sound pretty damn good. Again recording is much of a hobby so accurate sound is not necessary, just want a decent sound system. And the receiver I own is indeed a pioneer receiver FYI.