I have been playing with a local church band here for a bit and been basically plugging in direct and not digging the tone. I know this is a common problem and there are pedals and other effects out there that can really make a difference, but I was wondering for the sake of saving some $$$ if I could get a worth-while improvement in tone running into my electric guitar multi-fx. It's a zoom g5 and works wonderfully for my electric but have been curious if I could make it work for my acoustic.

The acoustic is an Ibanez AW400ce with a fishman soni-core pickup (piezo) and an Ibanez pre.

Obviously I was thinking some light compression, a very clean tone 'amp sim' ( may not even use.) some EQ (need some direction in this area), and some 'air' effects like very light reverb.

Is this something worth trying or has anyone else done this? And any suggestions ya'll may have would be greatly appreciated especially in the EQ realm. I can eq a bass all day long and an electric a bit, but acoustic I have no experience with.
You can pretty much use anything save for a distortion booster on an acoustic. Chorus, reverb, delay, hell add them all.

Many people do use compression on acoustics to combat errors in technique, the stray "too loud" note, or one where you didn't pick quite hard enough. You can't use compression anywhere near the extent you can with an electric though. The sustain from a compressor, will cause feedback
Quote by Captaincranky
You can pretty much use anything save for a distortion booster on an acoustic. Chorus, reverb, delay, hell add them all.

Many people do use compression on acoustics to combat errors in technique, the stray "too loud" note, or one where you didn't pick quite hard enough. You can't use compression anywhere near the extent you can with an electric though. The sustain from a compressor, will cause feedback

Like CC says ^ ^ ^ of course you can.

But like he also says, the trick is to keep whatever effects you use quite restrained. I often use my old Zoom 3000 multi-effects unit for my acoustics. I've dedicated 3 banks, each of 4 pedals, for acoustic use - mostly different combinations and levels of EQ, reverb, chorus. Works fine.
That is what I was thinking as well. Could you give me some quick a dirty EQ suggestions that I can fine tune with my particular setup? Thanks fellas, I'm going to give it a round and see how it goes. I am planning on recording some simple acoustic songs for a friend this week. Might post the results afterwards.
Best advice I can give is . . . . .play around. Devote a couple of hours keying in different effects and see how they sound. Keep notes of the settings you use so you can store the ones you like best.
The only FX I ever used with acoustic was a very sparing amount of (Accutronics spring) reverb, but there is no harm in experimenting. Just a word of caution though, based on experience. You can waste a hug amount of time mucking about with digital multiFX. That is the reason I gave up on them, not because of their performance.
Quote by bass.desires
That is what I was thinking as well. Could you give me some quick a dirty EQ suggestions that I can fine tune with my particular setup?
Not possible, as nobody has your ears, your studio, your guitars, or your taste in sound.

This is the same quagmire you get into with modeling amps. If you don't like the models they give you, it's gonna take a lot of doin' with the software to get want you think you want.

I find, "want I want", varies with mood, amplitude, and purpose. (IE: playing late at night, playing by myself, playing along with the stereo). Sometimes I even like to kick in a bit of crunch, for Townshend's power chord rants. ("Pinball Wizard" or, "Behind Blue Eyes"). (Sometimes I even play the 12 string without bothering to tune it. Tuning those biddies can be a pain in the ass.

Word of caution there though, if you kick in the dirty channel, make sure the gain is all the way down, until you get a feel for it. It's weird and frightening how feedback can make you guitar vibrate like it's going to explode. A word to the wise.

Most effects give reasonable results about 11 to 1 o'clock. Tweak from there, if that helps. Although, sometimes the chorus clock sweep likes to be turned way down slow.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 13, 2016,
I went ahead and did some google research and found some good advice on the eq. A great place to start anyways. I ended up just using some light compression, the EQ, an 'air' reverb with stronger reverbs and delays on tap. No amp sims, although some of the clean ones didn't sound bad. I was really happy with how it turned out. I need to make an account on www.guitarpatches.com so I can post it there. Or if anyone wants I can post it here as well.

(EDIT: It is now posted over there at Guitarpatches)

It isn't the exact tone of my acoustic mic'd, but it is close enough that I am happy plugging into the board that my guitar sounds well enough for the mix.

Multi effects are a lot of the same kind of animal once you get used to them. I used the software interface on my G5 to make changes much faster but even at the pedal it isn't hard. In my case, $250 and an afternoon spent with the guitar and amp is an investment I can afford. I have been buying pedals to complete my 'real' pedal board over and it is almost done. Looking forward to seeing how that setup goes.
Last edited by bass.desires at May 19, 2016,