I don't get the hype, personally. I know quite a few people who've been going nuts about this band, maybe I'm missing something. Listened to this album a couple of times the other day, and until roughly the second half it's mostly bland and directionless, composition-wise. There are some good moments further on, and a handful of tracks manage to stay interesting all the way through, - but hardly worth the praise.

Perhaps it's just me, though.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Thanks for objections man, i get it. Its like i can't get teally into that math Djent Metal stuff.
Quote by rockstar256
Thanks for objections man, i get it. Its like i can't get teally into that math Djent Metal stuff.

No worries! Unfortunately it's one of those cases where on paper it has lots of potential, but the execution is lacking.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
No worries! Unfortunately it's one of those cases where on paper it has lots of potential, but the execution is lacking.

I'd have to agree.

I was going to write more, but I was essentially rewriting exactly what you'd just said over and over again
Couple of my friends have been blasting this recently and what with me now rather enjoying actual liturgical music, I thought that that part was solid, but fundamentally, the aesthetic language of liturgical music and extreme metal don't mesh to either my mind or ears. At least not this type of metal - although my old self recognizes that some of the individual passages are good. Either way, the writing is inconsistent from what I heard.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Couple of my friends have been blasting this recently and what with me now rather enjoying actual liturgical music, I thought that that part was solid, but fundamentally, the aesthetic language of liturgical music and extreme metal don't mesh to either my mind or ears. At least not this type of metal - although my old self recognizes that some of the individual passages are good. Either way, the writing is inconsistent from what I heard.

It's the metal parts that rub me the wrong way. They are not interesting; the liturgical component neither augments them (like the odd fragments that are used in Dead Congregation - I know this might not be the best example, just one that comes to mind if one thinks of the more successful integration), not serves as a base and letting metal play off an atmospheric foundation (e.g. Summoning). At any rate, any band that meshes other elements into its framework should for all intents and purposes remain a METAL band. In the instance presented, most of the heavier parts sound like an afterthought to fit the context - or to make the overall atmosphere interesting by using a gimmick. They are not developed, they don't (for most part) take you anywhere, and the overall result feels contrived.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus

You're right, it doesn't add anything. This is why I'm saying that these two elements, polar opposites one might say, don't mesh in either practice or principle. As far as the execution goes, it's not a horrendous mix ala Fleshgod Apocalypse, but not used to good or interesting effect either. You generally have the metal and liturgical parts as separate elements, though occasionally when they mix, I feel like the more melodic and softer approach naturally works with the liturgical parts to some degree. These bits provide one with some promise and an uplifting atmosphere. As soon as it goes full blast, full tremolo, either with or without the liturgical bits, it's played out, stale and jarring. Furthermore, I don't know why this stupid trend to tune your guitars as low as possible is still burgeoning. Take away the gimmick and this is like a dozen other bands who lack any distinct identity.

There was something I couldn't quite put into words, which is the effect the band is going for in their attempt at mixing such disparate elements. But I think their general sentiment is this: the liturgy is "badass" and religion is the new cool again. It's a bit comical, because the liturgy is supposed to be solemn and introspective, which this is certainly not.

And then of course, like you say, it goes nowhere. There's some confusion as to what specific stylistic elements to use, as the drum beats and riffs change without any kind of proper transitions.
I've found Jesus
Every time I hear this music I get the same feeling I get when I hear modern deathcore. Don't know why.

Yeah, I don't care for it.