Hey guys, I have a question:

I have a gig coming up in the next couple of weeks, and the bar owners will have the backline prepared, but they are telling us their amps were stolen and we will have to bring our own. Now, I have a Peavey Vypyr 75, and I´ve never used it for more than home practice, at low volumes (crappy neighbours won´t let me try it out loud, and it´s a pain carrying it to band practice). When playing at home, it sounds great, but i´m worried i´ts not gonna sound very good crancked up. Have anyone played a live gig with that amp? I would appreciate the feedback
what do you use when your band practices? you do practice right? try the amp there
I don´t really have the means to take it to band practice, we go to a rehearsal room with gear already there
c'mon if you can get it to a gig then you cn get it to band practice. this is part of being in a band. you need to set levels and readjust eq and gain levels for band volume. if you don't then I promise you a long night at the gig. man up and be a pro.
Squeeze in a band rehearsal and take your amp so you can dial in a decent sound early rather than on the night.

It'll be fine for a gig. I played a couple gigs with an old Marshall MG50 before and it was adequate for what it needed to be. The audience won't give 2 shits.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Squeeze in a band rehearsal and take your amp so you can dial in a decent sound early rather than on the night.

It'll be fine for a gig. I played a couple gigs with an old Marshall MG50 before and it was adequate for what it needed to be. The audience won't give 2 shits.

well the audience will give shit if you sound awefull so again make the effort to get your amp set up for band volume.
Quote by monwobobbo
well the audience will give shit if you sound awefull so again make the effort to get your amp set up for band volume.

You misunderstood my point.

The audience won't have a particularly well developed ear for tone. If it doesn't sound as brilliant as it usually does, they won't notice or care. A Vypyr would be fine to get them through a gig.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
You misunderstood my point.

The audience won't have a particularly well developed ear for tone. If it doesn't sound as brilliant as it usually does, they won't notice or care. A Vypyr would be fine to get them through a gig.

no actually i didn't. the idea that the audience doesn't care is only partially true. sure they may not notice if the tone isn't exactly like the record or be able to tell minor differences. the one thing they can tell is if your tone is garbage though. often an amp set for home practice volume sounds like total crap at stage volume. the OP doesn't seem to have any actual band experience with his amp which as diabolical mentioned can have a number of presets. sure a plug and play sound can be fixed at the venue fairly fast but once you get past that it can be a real pain to correct a modeler.
Quote by monwobobbo
no actually i didn't. the idea that the audience doesn't care is only partially true. sure they may not notice if the tone isn't exactly like the record or be able to tell minor differences. the one thing they can tell is if your tone is garbage though. often an amp set for home practice volume sounds like total crap at stage volume. the OP doesn't seem to have any actual band experience with his amp which as diabolical mentioned can have a number of presets. sure a plug and play sound can be fixed at the venue fairly fast but once you get past that it can be a real pain to correct a modeler.

Which is why I suggested getting in a band rehearsal beforehand?

Not sure exactly what you're arguing. It's a one off thing, according to OP. A Vypyr will be fine. The audience wouldn't care if it's a real or modeled 6505.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
i wouldn't ever go to a gig with an amp that i don't know how acts at band volumes. ESPECIALLY one with presets (as they can be at different levels as far as patches go).

drag it to rehearsal at least once and get it set up before the gig, or you could have a painful sound check.

but i am sure it would be loud enough, but not sure how GOOD it will sound, nor how frustrating it will be to get set up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/