Page 1 of 7

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7566

A self-proclaimed fat activist, Virgie Tovar, promoted the idea that overweight people are an oppressed class at a University of Minnesota event called “Dispelling Myths: Fat, Fatphobia, and Challenging Social Stereotypes.”

“Fat activism” puts overweight individuals into a category with other groups of people who claim to be oppressed. It puts the blame of being fat on society as a whole instead of the individual.

Tovar, who gave her talk through Skype, told the small crowd in attendance that negative body perceptions are taught through societal mechanisms, and that overweight people cannot lose the extra fat.

“Weight loss is not a realistic goal for most people,” Tovar said.

She claimed 80 to 90 percent of people will regain the weight that they lose while on a diet and that it is important for people to realize that “the body you have now is the only body you will ever have.”

Tovar said diet culture is a tool of “white heteronormative society” and declared that “exercise and diets are constructs.” Society, she said, is fat phobic and that “Fat phobia is a form of bigotry, is a form of discrimination.”

Tovar harped about discrimination regarding choices in sexual partners, how chairs are designed, and public transportation usage. In fact, Tovar claimed that fat shaming has made her avoid public transportation during peak hours.

It's time we all own up to our bigotry. Have you discriminated against fat people by not having sex with them?
you know i believe that body shaming does exist to a degree, but eventually people are going to have to decide if they want freedom of consequences or a pure totalitarian regime.

you can be fat in america. society throughout the world will judge you. they would do it if you were skinny. or short. or tall. be totally comfortable being fat. but be totally comfortable understanding and accepting the outcomes of being fat.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
There are people who have real health issues that don't allow them to shed weight safely. And then there are the other 99.9999% of people in America. No one has to be at a more healthy weight than they are, that's anyone's own prerogative.

However, if you think that you're entitled to my acceptance of you for it, tough shit. Weight is something that in most cases (and overwhelmingly so) is controllable. I'm not going to change my beauty standards to fit your busted self esteem. You feeling good isn't my responsibility.

That makes me sound like a dick, I realize, but whatever. You don't have to accept me for things that are totally my doing either.

Quote by Baby Joel
you know i believe that body shaming does exist to a degree, but eventually people are going to have to decide if they want freedom of consequences or a pure totalitarian regime.

you can be fat in america. society throughout the world will judge you. they would do it if you were skinny. or short. or tall. be totally comfortable being fat. but be totally comfortable understanding and accepting the outcomes of being fat.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at May 10, 2016,
I am anti-fat people. I hate their labored breathing, their constant BO issues, and them not being able to take a shit in a public restroom with using half a roll of TP every time cleaning up whatever disaster they just brought upon that poor porcelain.

Fuck fatties
They're constructs in that they're how you construct a body that isn't gross.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I was just thinking earlier about how much I dislike these types of people

EDIT: damn, just read what she was saying

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at May 10, 2016,
Quote by neidnarb11890
I mean what does it even mean to say that exercise & diet are "constructs"?

i assume it addresses the changing (psuedo)-science of dieting. atkins diet, low fat diet, raw diet, etc, whatever.

cause yeah i mean those are constructs, but being fat isn't.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
i assume it addresses the changing (psuedo)-science of dieting. atkins diet, low fat diet, raw diet, etc, whatever.

cause yeah i mean those are constructs, but being fat isn't.

All this fatty is doing is giving me more reasons to dislike fatties
I have nothing important to say
Diabetus loves you too, lady.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
People like this are everything that's wrong with the world. As much as I love bashing constructs fucking taking care of yourself is not a construct and these people need a swift kick in the ass by reality.
Quote by JustRooster
There are people who have real health issues that don't allow them to shed weight safely. And then there are the other 99.9999% of people in America. No one has to be at a more healthy weight than they are, that's anyone's own prerogative.

However, if you think that you're entitled to my acceptance of you for it, tough shit. Weight is something that in most cases (and overwhelmingly so) is controllable. I'm not going to change my beauty standards to fit your busted self esteem. You feeling good isn't my responsibility.

That makes me sound like a dick, I realize, but whatever. You don't have to accept me for things that are totally my doing either.

Pretty much this. Fat activists are the worst because they're literally out there promoting disease. We would have no tolerance for someone saying that smokers are an oppressed class. Fuck you. Do something to better yourself for once instead of bitching about your circumstances.
Quote by Eastwinn
i think mocking people for being fat is cruel

That's true. There is a difference between mocking someone for being fat and a fat person approaching you and demanding "accept me!"
I do not want my critical regard towards the dubious bandying about of "construct" to be construed as cruelty towards people for being fat, ftr -- the fact of the matter is that at the end of the day some girls are bigger than others, some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers -- but what is the implication of "diet & exercise being constructs for white heteronormative society" -- are food deserts & a junk food industry that preys on the socioeconomically disadvantaged only a problem if we are beholden to a white heteronormative bourgeois ideology that is repulsed by "fat people"? Furthermore, what are the implications of “the body you have now is the only body you will ever have" for, for example, trans people who decide to undergo sex reassignment?

Yes, there is plenty to criticize vis-a-vis how we are inundated with unrealistic standards of beauty, & how industries prey on our insecurities with fad diets & weight-loss supplements &c., but this whole thing seems very facile to me, ok? I don't know, just think through it a bit more & get back to me.
neid: it's fat-as-ethnicity

Quote by JustRooster
That's true. There is a difference between mocking someone for being fat and a fat person approaching you and demanding "accept me!"

does that happen to you often
Quote by Eastwinn at #33964939

Yeah. I mean I even sympathize for the girl in the OP to a degree.

It's like yeah I'm proud to be fat, diets are a construct, real women have curves blah blah blah. Oh and by the way I've got such a complex over my body that I can't take the bus during rush hour.

Under the bullshit there's a person in a lot of pain I think.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
if someone feels comfortable in their body that's fine, but what she's spouting is complete bullshit.

Saying shit like...
She claimed 80 to 90 percent of people will regain the weight that they lose while on a diet and that it is important for people to realize that “the body you have now is the only body you will ever have.”
is just awful and promotes the opposite mindset that most people need
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I love playing with chubby girls, they can be a lot of fun, but I couldnt see myself being mentally attracted to someone that wasnt healthy. It isnt normal be to fat. That is a problem due to poor diet. Exercise is good for the muscles to stay strong, but eating right is all you gotta do to not be fat.
It's so obvious these people are in denial about themselves. They preach this shit to make themselves feel better by trying to justify their own obesity. Grow up and accept the fact that it's your own damn fault you're fat and unhealthy, this shits embarrassing.
My response is the usual "this doesn't affect me so I have no reason to care or have an opinion on it".

If this isn't your philosophy, then your philosophy is dumb.
If there is a God, it's me.
Someone should do a is food addiction real? Poll.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by qrEE
My response is the usual "this doesn't affect me so I have no reason to care or have an opinion on it".

If this isn't your philosophy, then your philosophy is dumb.

You cared enough to reply to prove you didnt have an opinion, which means your philosophy is dumb (;
Confession: i can't take the word "fatphobia" seriously

at all
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger

I mean of course dieting (chocolate diet, paleo diet, juice diet, gluten-free diet etc) and gymming have turned into social convention, but do people think that anything that's a 'social construct' should be rid of? Pretty much anything that enters the zeitgeist or our language becomes a construct. Space and space exploration and interstellar travel are social constructs, but it doesn't mean that they're either not real or that we should forget about the damn galaxy (we should guard it )
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
You cared enough to reply to prove you didnt have an opinion, which means your philosophy is dumb (;

You think I actually care about anything I post on UG? You've overestimated me.
If there is a God, it's me.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
(we should guard it )
No we shouldn't we should fuck this planet into the sun like a pool ball rocketing into a hooker's cooch we must end this terrible existence
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
No we shouldn't we should fuck this planet into the sun like a pool ball rocketing into a hooker's cooch we must end this terrible existence

I wanna stand in a circle tho
join us in the Destruction Circle(tm)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
fat-nazis
maybe they have just heavy bones
but srsly, this will turn into a real thing one day, such as your homo issues
all things that were never normal are suddenly advocated
sucks
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Quote by Eastwinn

I don't think anyone's advocating mocking. Normalization of unhealthy bodies and lifestyles is dangerous though and shouldn't be encouraged.
Quote by Banjocal at #33965037
Confession: i can't take the word "fatphobia" seriously

at all

I can't take any of those cliché tumblr-ish words seriously. Fatphonia, shaming, problematic. I always cringe when I hear these used in a serious manner.
Thing is problematic is a perfectly good word that's been ruined by association. Philosophical statements can be (and are) called "problematic". Shaming is at least semi-justifiable because it simply describes being shamed for being something that isn't within a certain ideal.

Whereas fatphobia is a semantic nightmare and refers to a prejudice which simply isn't on the level of race, sex, gender, etc
Quote by EndTheRapture51
good for her, is she infringing on anyone's rights? If not whatever. People are free to have stupid ideas, fat activist? About the same as a cigarette lobbyist.

No you shouldn't make fun of fat people, you also shouldn't be fat so it goes two ways.