Hi everyone,

I've been recently learning double thumb technique. I started to get a callous right next to my cuticle on the top of my thumb (from the up pluck, coming back up from the thump). I wasn't in too much pain practicing so I didn't notice until I took a break. I'm assuming I should just wait for it to heal? Also, am I plucking with the right part of my thumb? Should it just be my nail that is making contact with the string?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
Last edited by khh15 at May 11, 2016,
I get a callous in a similar place. As with all blisters, just take it steady for a few days until it heals. That patch of skin should be tougher when it's healed.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
you're fine. it's the skin's way of making itself a more durable tool. with double thumb, hit the string with whatever part of the thumb makes a good tone - since it's mostly a percussive technique, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference as long as it's (relatively) comfortable to you.

good news is you can still practice finger style until it heals. although, personally, once you get comfortable using that thumb for everything it's really hard to go back
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
although, personally, once you get comfortable using that thumb for everything it's really hard to go back

Hahah, that's the plan thanks for the advice you two. I had read somewhere online that you're suppose to only use your nail, but I know that could just be the opinion of whoever posted that. I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong because I know how hard bad habits like that can be to break once they're stuck in your fingers.
i definitely use more flesh than nail, but my nails are basically nonexistent. like i said, as long as it's comfortable (which it will be one you're properly calloused) and sounds good, you're fine, much like any technique.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.