Had an electric guitar years ago but sold it when I quit playing. It was some SG copy and I can't even remember the brand! Anyway I started playing again and want to get an electric. I'm 34 now so really would like something nice that will last me for a long time and more.

Budget is £1200 for the guitar alone.

Im leaning towards the Fender American standard which retail for around £1150 on Andertons. Alternatively I was looking at a PRS USA 24 or USA standard single cut. I've tried both in a store and like the feel of both of them but... and this is going to sound silly, I really want the strat as its a piece of American history. But reading around here and elsewhere I've seen lots of people advocating PRS over other leading brands.

Would I be making a bad choice with the Fender? I didn't consider Gibson as I'm not sure if £1200 will get anything decent. Shout if you think otherwise.

Thanks
Quote by bthethy
Had an electric guitar years ago but sold it when I quit playing. It was some SG copy and I can't even remember the brand! Anyway I started playing again and want to get an electric. I'm 34 now so really would like something nice that will last me for a long time and more.

Budget is £1200 for the guitar alone.

Im leaning towards the Fender American standard which retail for around £1150 on Andertons. Alternatively I was looking at a PRS USA 24 or USA standard single cut. I've tried both in a store and like the feel of both of them but... and this is going to sound silly, I really want the strat as its a piece of American history. But reading around here and elsewhere I've seen lots of people advocating PRS over other leading brands.

Would I be making a bad choice with the Fender? I didn't consider Gibson as I'm not sure if £1200 will get anything decent. Shout if you think otherwise.

Thanks
£1200 will get you a new SG Standard(the T or HP spec IIRC), so it may be worth having a go with one. Explorers, Vs and Firebirds would be around that price point, too, as would the LP studio/decade tribute models.

On eother thing it may be worth looking at, though, is if any stores have any remaining American Deluxe Strats. The series was discontinued in 2014/15, and replaced with the Elite series, so when I got mine just before Christmas, it was actually about £100 less than a Standard.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
PRS makes great guitars. So does Fender.

The thing is, of your heart is set on a Fender then odds are good that no matter how rp good a guitar you buy, if it isn't a Fender, you won't be happy,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
PRS makes great guitars. So does Fender.

The thing is, of your heart is set on a Fender then odds are good that no matter how rp good a guitar you buy, if it isn't a Fender, you won't be happy,

This is true, too.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I just got a 2013 SG Deluxe brand new from www.musicstore.de for 1111 Euros (see my last NGD thread). They´re blowing out 2013, 2014 and 2015 leftover Gibsons. I already ordered three (LP Standard, LP Classic and said SG) and am trying hard not to order yet another one.
As someone who owns an American Standard Strat, I can attest that they only get better the more you dicker/tweak with them at home. I love all of my guitars, but my Strat is easily the most customizable, and therefor the most tailored specifically to me. You can do literally almost anything to/with them, and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

As far as going with Gibson, at this point, honestly I'd go Epiphone over Gibson. QC has been really ridiculously questionable in recent years for Gibson, and I've preferred almost every Epi I've played. Admittedly, that's not a ton, and in the Gibson vs. Fender realm I'm a die-hard Strat guy, but there's my penny's worth of thought on it.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at May 11, 2016,
Why do you want the fender?
Comparing the strat to the PRS is apples and oranges. Both great guitars but different in terms of darn near everything. Also comparing single coils to humbuckers, so it depends on what sound you want. Are you looking at an S2 or Custom PRS?
If you are able to score a Custom 24 or SC245 for the price of an american standard strat then do it!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bthethy
I really want the strat as its a piece of American history.

then get one.

and get a PRS later if you feel like you still want one.

both are great guitars.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If I was you I would take the Fender
IMO both PRS and Fender makes great guitars it depends on what's your style and stuff
I think PRSs looks wayyy classier than Fenders
But the Fenders looks simple and and classic that's all at this price point you pretty much get what you'd pay for (good quality obviously)
IMO Fender makes wide range of guitars for example (S-S-S,H-H,H-S-S,H-S-H) Floydrose,Normal trem,fixed bridge
You can Modify the Fender more than the PRS IMO just like an.interloper (btw nice guitar mate)
Go with the one you like the most in feel and sound rather than looks! In the end you're going to play it, not hang it up for display.

I've found my own dream guitar but that cost me around 2000 Euro ( 2012 Gibson ES-335 Professional, Custom made in USA), it got a medium neck profile and great burstbuckers. Great choice if you can avoid getting a lemon as they can play virtually anything except maybe EXTREME BRVVVTAL Metal, but it's over your budget so get the one you like. Good luck!
In terms of sound - you could have a decent compromise in the CE line of PRS (I have a 2001 CE22 that is wonderful). Bolt on maple neck, rosewood fretboard, and with the switching options, you can get some Strat-esque sounds out of it. Just a thought.
OffsetOffset
CU > fender am strat
CE = american strat

haven't tried the S2's though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Humbucker (PRS) Vs Single Coil (Fender)
What fits your playing style the most...
My thought is to the strat. My US strat plays like a dream and I put a 500k pot to a hot rails bridge and a resistor for the singles. Unbelievable tone variety
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by trashedlostfdup
CU > fender am strat
CE = american strat

haven't tried the S2's though.

seeing as a CU goes for three times what an american strat sells for, i would hope so.

but hey it's all preferences.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.