6 12%
Science is understood by the public in general
4 8%
Science is not understood by the public in general
44 90%
Voters: 49.
Page 1 of 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

Facebook link if you can't watch on YouTube: https://www.facebook.com/LastWeekTonight/videos/896755337120143/

Do we have a problem with science in the media? How could this be improved? How do non-scientists see science? Do we need more science literature in general?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Do we have a problem with science in the media? yes.
How could this be improved? journalistic integrity instead of clickbait sensationalism designed to generate ad revenue.
How do non-scientists see science? either the devil's work or an infallible quasi-religious answer to the Ultimate Truth.
Do we need more science literature in general? better science literature.
Yeah, definitely. I'm not gonna say that people need to be more scientifically literate and well-versed in how to read a study, but the media is definitely irresponsible with how it presents science. The way science is viewed to people who've never taken a research methods class is "here are the facts" rather than the arduous scientific process of performing experiments, data analysis, drawing conclusions, publishing, peer reviews, repeating the experiments, and so on.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Cancer gets cured every week
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by neidnarb11890
Do we have a problem with science in the media? yes.
How could this be improved? journalistic integrity instead of clickbait sensationalism designed to generate ad revenue.
How do non-scientists see science? either the devil's work or an infallible quasi-religious answer to the Ultimate Truth.
Do we need more science literature in general? better science literature.

da

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Science is boring and people who say stuff like "I fucking love science" are the worst.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The news does that with every subject though, not just science.
Its a bigger problem than merely scientific studies being innacurately portrayed in the media.

ISIS is in your backyard right now trying to kill you
White men are monsters
Feminists want your balls in a jar
Oh and btw
And coffee both kills you and saves your life.
also john oliver is very unfunny

I think the fact that a significant chunk of the population still believes in religion pretty much says all that needs to be said about people's knowledge of science and acceptance of it.
Quote by TobusRex
I think the fact that a significant chunk of the population still believes in religion pretty much says all that needs to be said about people's knowledge of science and acceptance of it.

I think the fact that you think they are mutually exclusive speaks volumes as well...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Trowzaa

There's a reason he failed in the UK.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Arby911
I think the fact that you think they are mutually exclusive speaks volumes as well...

Tip of the day...they are exclusive. The church routinely tortured scientists who extolled scientific fact. The church still claims the patently ******ed idea that the Earth is only 6,500 years old and claims prayer and miracles can cure cancer.
Quote by TobusRex
Tip of the day...they are exclusive. The church routinely tortured scientists who extolled scientific fact. The church still claims the patently ******ed idea that the Earth is only 6,500 years old and claims prayer and miracles can cure cancer.

Prayer can cure cancer. The placebo effect is a measurable thing, it's just worse than most medicines.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
can we not get into another fucking pointless religion vs science argument tobus, please.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by TobusRex

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Please try again, conflating "religion" and "the church" is a nonstarter.

If you would like to revise your claim to read that science is antithetical to many of the various religious sects, I'm right there with you, but your generalization was incredibly overbroad.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by EpiExplorer at #33965711

Being known as "that one that was sometimes on Mock The Week but no one knew his name and he talked too much before getting to a punch line which ultimately fell flat" is not failing okay.

Quote by EpiExplorer

Well all uk exports can't be as amazing as piers morgan
I like to think I can cus that's what I get paid for but who knows anything amirite. #nonreproducible #p-hacking #datadredging

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by Trowzaa at #33965696

Truest statement in this thread TBF
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Transformers and megazords
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
also rapture i got to operate a NMR spectroscope today, shit's top banter

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Science is just the art of describing how something works. I dont think the general public/social media cares how stuff works. I think there is a slight problem. I think religious folk need to learn more about the origins of life, and I think non religious folk need to learn to accept god using what we have learned from science.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Science is just the art of describing how something works. I dont think the general public/social media cares how stuff works. I think there is a slight problem. I think religious folk need to learn more about the origins of life, and I think non religious folk need to learn to accept god using what we have learned from science.

science isnt an art its a science

Quote by JamSessionFreak
also rapture i got to operate a NMR spectroscope today, shit's top banter

literally so boring deflooing it was the worst thing ever

nah nigguh it's cash

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
you just set it up and stick the thing in the hole

setting it up is cool tho, i like dialing shit in

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
you just set it up and stick the thing in the hole

huehuehuehue
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
science is simultaneously abused by the media and misunderstood by the public to the same extent that any other thing is.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
science is a tool of white heteronormative society

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Seems like "science" and "scientist" are too often used as exclusively to mean things that happen at a university but nothing and nowhere else.

The guy in the lab coat or the campus 4 life math geek professor
Last edited by EyeNon15 at May 11, 2016,
It seems like if someone says they're a scientist, their words become infallible in the public eye.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I am in a fun boat where I studies social sciences and do work in the humanities, but have a heavily scientific background (took many classes for biology and chemistry in pre-med, was in robotics and was the physics tutor in high school, etc.)

mostly, a lot of people in the scientific disciplines are not taught how to communicate well socially as part of their disciplinary work, and a lot of folks in the communications arenas are not taught enough nuanced scientific theory to understand what they are hearing when they are told to relay info
is a bad cycle
is why my "frame this as a newspaper article" science assignments tended to get much better graded than my peers
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at May 11, 2016,
Yeah it is definitely an issue that can become an increasingly frustrating problem and this video is fantastic for pointing out why.

The whole system of academia is detrimental to the field when we don't motivate and encourage people to fact check or re-do experiments.

I admit, when i'm reading into academic literature I tend to believe or subscribe to theories because the person saying it has a PhD and give in based on believing hell they're way more qualified and smarter than I will ever be so they must know what they're saying surely.

But then there is the possibility that that doctors work hasn't been peer reviewed or published in a reputable journal and if it had been then they could have found glaring errors that change everything.

TL;DR - Most people can't wrap their heads around science and are too lazy to understand it so they have to oversimplify everything.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
that John Oliver sure likes shouting
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Baby Joel at #33965880
science is simultaneously abused by the media and misunderstood by the public to the same extent that any other thing is.

yeah

Page 1 of 2