Hello Folks,

Looking for some insight on SG necks, and just the difference between maple and mahogany necks in general.

A few of the SG special models have maple necks instead of the usual mahogany neck. Why is this? Is it cheaper? Would the maple neck be heavier than a mahogany neck?

I'm just trying to understand the logic, as to why Gibson would produce certain SGs with a maple neck, vs. mahogany, and what possible pros or cons those may have.
Quote by StoneyIommi at #33965693
Hello Folks,

Looking for some insight on SG necks, and just the difference between maple and mahogany necks in general.

A few of the SG special models have maple necks instead of the usual mahogany neck. Why is this? Is it cheaper? Would the maple neck be heavier than a mahogany neck?

I'm just trying to understand the logic, as to why Gibson would produce certain SGs with a maple neck, vs. mahogany, and what possible pros or cons those may have.

Yes

The difference will be slight (if its even something you can hear). The claim is that maple necks produce a brighter, crisper tone compared to mahogany. YMMV

The most important thing is if the guitar sounds and plays well for you. Doesn't matter what the thing is made of.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
As I recall, maple is also a harder wood than mahogany, so it may improve durability. ESPECIALLY if you're one of those guys who does neck bends.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
maple is cheaper than mahogany so that is the reason it's used on cheaper models.
Among other things:

Maple is cheaper, more durable, and brighter. Paradoxically, it's more sensitive to moisture changes than mahogany is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.