Hi, I dont have very much; if any, guitar/music theory knowledge, but i'm pretty decent at 'guitar karaoke,' as i've learnt mainly from friends and tabs.

I've recently joined a band, and they're doing a cover of Umbrella by Rihanna, among other songs that i wouldn't particularly want to cover, but i want to add some sweeps to the chorus, which i believe is an F C G Am chord progression.

Now I know a simple 5 string major and minor sweep shape. So my question is how do I know what my root is, and which shape do I play? I really dont have much theory knowledge, so please try and keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks.
hello, there are 3 basic shapes for the arpeggios, you can use the one you like the most, just do the one in the chord, you can cheat by doing the arpegio of the tonality of the song( at risk), i found a gp archive of the song and made the first two compases of the chorus i put it fast but you can do the arpegios with more feling or if you are covering the song with a faster tempo you can change the figure of the notes ( sorry if the terminology is wrong i am from Colombia), i put some taping because the basic taping technike is basic arpegios. It does not sound well with the vocal melody but in the first compas of the chorus i use the 3 basic shapes of Gb...the arpeggios are in the last track
Attachments:
Rihanna - Umbrella (Pro).gp5
Last edited by grigori.solomon at May 12, 2016,