I'm very conservative in my guitar tastes, anything flashier than a plain black strat or LP Jr is getting to be too much of a good thing for me. - No binding, carved tops, fancy timber, inlays, gold hardware, odd shapes, whatever.

Yet in this vast ocean of stuff I wouldn't be seen out with is one tiny island of outrageousness that I would love to own - an original Zemaitis with engraved metal top, like the ones shown in a recent thread.

In acoustics, there are no exceptions, a basic sunburst or a single abalone soundhole ring is the limit.

Does anyone else have an oddity like that, that runs completely counter to their normal tastes?
I like mostly traditional looking guitars and low output pickups. So your typical R* series Gibbies or RI Fenders are right up my alley.

That being said, one of my favorite guitars I own is a blueburst Dean Z Standard with a flame top, hot Dimarzios and a ton of flash.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Tony Done
I'm very conservative in my guitar tastes, anything flashier than a plain black strat or LP Jr is getting to be too much of a good thing for me. - No binding, carved tops, fancy timber, inlays, gold hardware, odd shapes, whatever.

Yet in this vast ocean of stuff I wouldn't be seen out with is one tiny island of outrageousness that I would love to own - an original Zemaitis with engraved metal top, like the ones shown in a recent thread.

In acoustics, there are no exceptions, a basic sunburst or a single abalone soundhole ring is the limit.

Does anyone else have an oddity like that, that runs completely counter to their normal tastes?

I bet you'd find a similar enjoyment of Grath gutitars, which also frequently have incredible engraving work.
http://www.grathguitars.com

Personally, though? My tastes are pretty broad, and I don't have much in the way of exceptions that I can think of. I don't think I've seen a reliced guitar I've liked, for instance.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
In the last year or two I've developed a very close attachment to Leo-era Fender designs, the Tele above anything else. I'm a sucker for jazzy archtops, though.

Amp-wise, I have pretty much the same preference - classic Fender or nothing, for the most part - but when I see a H&K head glowing an obscene shade of blue my inner magpie wakes up and tells me I want it (with no real idea how it sounds).
My inner magpie has access to all my credit cards & bank codes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

thought about this and can't think of anything that I normally would go for that fits. I try real hard not to limit myself when it comes to guitars. things like color, wood or even shape are kinda secondary to feel and sound.
Actually...I have reverse exceptions: there are designs I like that I will NEVER buy because they're totally wrong for me. Like Vs: love the visual aesthetic, hate the feel. Ditto probably all of Minarik.

Danny, there are also modern versions of the Zemaitis (MIJ?) that look good, but it is at least partly about the mojo of the originals. His acoustic were alos highly sought after, but the workmanship was terrible according to one luthier I know who worked on them.

The idea of reverse exceptions is interesting and worth following up. I generally like the look of plain semi-hollows, but mine has poor sustain by solidbody standards, so I wouldn't get another.
I am all over the place, I like V shaped guitars and variants of that shape, I guess I get a lot of my taste from growing up a die hard metal head from around 1980 on, I still have an affection for those whacky and wicked off the wall pointy metal guitars, high output pickups and Floyds.

Lately though I have grown more fond of the traditional shapes Strat/Tele, LP/SG, although I still have not purchased any of them as of yet, so far the closest I have come to a traditional is super strats I have 7 of them ranging from 1987-2014, most were impulse buys, great condition and price when I had some cash in the old wallet, my favorite is probably the Jackson DKMGT with the string thru hard tail.

I would like a traditional strat eventually but if I had to nail it down to one specific guitar I have always wanted an American Hamer Sunburst which I would substitute for an LP.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 11, 2016,
most of the guitars i own are fenders, gibsons, or ibanez'.

so a little variety, but not much.

for amps, i own a little bit of EVERYTHING. i have 5f1 clone, a 18w clone, a JTM45 clone (not working ATM), a pair of splawns, a pair of mesas, a pair of peaveys, a pair of oranges, a musicman, a fryette, and several others.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Despite being a metalhead, once I grew out of my young teenage years I started to love the classics over they pointy extreme metal guitars, I always loved Les Pauls but other than that I was an ESP Explorer and V kind of guy.

Anyway once circumstances happened that made me have to sell off all my gear and it came round to buying guitars and stuff again I found myself wanting Les Pauls, Strats and PRS's over my previous ESP's and Jacksons.

The most extreme I would go now is Ibanez RG's for my seven string fix, but for 6's it's LP's, Strats and a PRS CU24 on my gas list.

My exception is I really, really keep getting drawn to Jackson RR's and I definitely think I will end up with one at some point.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I like really simple guitars...but I always end up with really complicated ones because that's all that show up used.

qq.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer