I'm hoping to buy a new guitar at some point in the next few months, and the one I've had my eye on for a while is this Sterling JP170d (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JP170D-RRB)

Does anyone have any experience with this particular guitar, or even Sterling JP guitars in general? It seems nearly perfect considering the specs I'm looking for, but I figured I'd get the opinions of some people with actual experience with these guitars.

I'm also cool with recommendations of other guitars as long as they are in a similar price range(800$-ish) and have somewhat similar specs. The most important being that it be a 7 string, and has some sort of trem. I would prefer passive pickups and something that isn't a floyd rose, but I don't care too much

Thanks!
Last edited by Cheeseshark at May 11, 2016,
The Sterling instruments are some of the best 'budget' guitars currently available IMO. Back when they were OLP, they were some of my favourite playing and sounding instruments especially the old OLP John Petrucci sig.

There isn't really a whole lot about them that needs doing out the box. You may, MAY, want to change the pickups to something a bit more high end but it's honestly not necessary. The action and the feel is crazy good. Just impressive instruments all around.

I'm not sure how they compare to their American made counterparts but if these are anything to go off I'm sure they wonderful.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
don't really play 7-string guitars much but I have tried the 6 string versions of the petrucci guitar. sterling makes some pretty nice guitars for the money. I've tried the cheapest and the highest end petrucci models and was impressed with both. the high end ones have his sig pickups in them so sound a fair bit better. the cheaper models pickups are very usable though. I have yet to really play a sterling guitar that wasn't decent.
Quote by Eppicurt
TYou may, MAY, want to change the pickups to something a bit more high end but it's honestly not necessary.

This one comes with John Petrucci's signature Dimarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pickups, are those not good or were you referencing the Sterling pickups that come in some of the slightly cheaper models?

Quote by Eppicurt
The Sterling instruments are some of the best 'budget' guitars currently available IMO. Back when they were OLP, they were some of my favourite playing and sounding instruments especially the old OLP John Petrucci sig.

There isn't really a whole lot about them that needs doing out the box. You may, MAY, want to change the pickups to something a bit more high end but it's honestly not necessary. The action and the feel is crazy good. Just impressive instruments all around.

I'm not sure how they compare to their American made counterparts but if these are anything to go off I'm sure they wonderful.

I think the 7 string is pretty much the same thing, so that's cool to hear.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at May 11, 2016,
Quote by Cheeseshark
This one comes with John Petrucci's signature Dimarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pickups, are those not good or were you referencing the Sterling pickups that come in some of the slightly cheaper models?

I think the 7 string is pretty much the same thing, so that's cool to hear.

he meant the stock pups on the cheaper models.
i've never owned one but the ones i've played in stores have been very nice guitars.

the necks are in a goldylocks zone for me. they aren't "fat" or "thin" imo, they just felt "good".
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Sterling offerings are very good. Hell, even the Sterling S.U.B. series are amazing at their price point.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah pretty much any guitar related to or produced by Music Man is generally an awesome instrument. I have been very impressed by the Sterling offerings.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I have a USA EBMM jp6 and recently tried a sterling 6 string model that is similar to the model you are looking at. First, I really like the liquifire and crunch lab pickups, they are outstanding.

As for the comparison, I thought the neck on the sterling was great, felt extremely close to the USA model. The frets ends were a little rough, but playability was very good. I was trying out some used amps and wanted something similar with the same pickups for comparison purposes. It was better than I expected. Unfortunately, I can't really gauge quality as Guitar Center sucks. The bridge was hanging so low, the strings would hit the bridge pickup after the 15th fret, the strings sucked and it looked like someone was messing around with the bridge for intonation but it needed a real setup.

I don't believe it was the sterling, I tried several new Gibson les Paul's a few months ago and one had a bad pickup and 2 others wouldn't stay in tune. Guitar Center is hit and miss with guitars.

Overall, I was very impressed with the PRS SE models, maybe a little more than the Sterling models, but both are very solid value for the price.

Good luck.
my GC has idiots burning up transformers on a regular basis according to one guy there i used to talk to. GC isn't a good place to judge. i don't buy anything from them in store.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I play a jp70, which is very similar from the jp170, apart from the fact that they are sterling branded pickups. Petrucci has switched to a new set of dimarzios called the illuminators, but the crunch lab and liquifier were his previous signatures. Overall, I love the thing. It stays in tune very well and the term was set up to flutter and dive-bomb easily. It doesn't have the range of a floyd, but it is more than enough IMO. The pickups are the only thing I don't love about the guitar, but that should not be a problem with the jp170, as it comes loaded with true dimarzios.