Got a crate gx130c. Need to replace the speakers. Looking at eminence 1258. Is it a good choice? Don't do a lot of drop tune, & don't want to fork out a lot of loot.
Honestly unless you are, for some strange reason in love with the sound of that GX130, I wouldn't invest any cash into it.

Save your money and get a used Peavey 6505 combo or Vyper or something like that.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Did you get it for teh death metulz? They DO sound pretty great for that, being an Ampeg VH140 clone. The 1258s are pretty decent speakers, perhaps not my FIRST choice but it really depends on what you are doing with the amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Hey got the thing for $20, & it had an electro-voice with a horn driver in it. That's why I was thinking the 1258. Not too much loot to put into it.
6505s aren't that readily available around here, & when they are they're not that cheap. Neither are vypers not with any decent wattage.
Hey man if it gets the job done. What type of music are you going for? Like, bands in particular?
I run the gamut from aerosmith to rob zombie. I'm pretty eclectic. Lately it's been more stones & blues.
Hmmm, the 1258 would probably be okay for that, but there may be better options... What's your max budget? There are some things that I would recommend but it doesn't do a lot of good if you can't afford them.
Hit me with your recommendations. I'll look at the prices & see if it's worth it. It already has an electro-voice in it, along with the original g12 m70.
Honestly, you want a good all-rounder as you have a wide variety of music that you play. The EVM12-L (Electro-Voice) is about as good as a speaker gets, but it is very expensive. The Eminence Legend EM12 is supposedly a clone, as is the Delta Pro 12A (which isn't actually listed as a guitar speaker).

Failing that, maybe something a bit lack a Celestion Greenback. I know that Eminence has it's own Greenback -alike, search Google for that one. Also, check out Warehouse Guitar Speakers, very reasonable prices, and they have their own version of all the big popular speakers.
The 1258 has a *pronounced* mids bump and struggles for low end.

The Eminence Delta Pro 12A mentioned above will handle anything up to the 200-400W area, and it's a really good guitar speaker, even though you'll find it listed in Eminence's Pro Audio section. For years it was the go-to replacement for the EV-L. It will work well in an open-back combo, but it really thrives in a vented or ported closed-back cab, where you can use its ability to get right down to 52Hz to reproduce serious bottom end. Drawbacks: It's more expensive than the 1258 and the magnet, like the one on the EV-L, is heavy.
Yeah the fairly balance frequency response (or at least it seems that way to me) of the EVM-style speakers makes them great for a LOT of different things.

TS, do you know what EV speaker you currently have in your amp?
I can't tell which ev is in there. I know it's got an 1829 horn driver with a horn. The little white sticker on the cone magnet is too faded to read. Tried googling the white #'s on the cone, but it didn't get me anywhere. E-mailed EV but haven't heard a response yet.
It looks almost like a evm12l, but it has a horn in it & uses 2 speaker leads one for speaker, & one for horn. I'm assuming in its normal state an external crossover is used.
I tried doing pics. But it keeps telling me file size is too large. I guess the 20mp resolution on my phone is too much for forum to handle.
Quote by snaggleyoda
I tried doing pics. But it keeps telling me file size is too large. I guess the 20mp resolution on my phone is too much for forum to handle.

Gotta put 'em on photobucket or dropbox or similar and link to them.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
A buddy actually was crazy for a while and did exactly that, stuck a Celestion G12T-75 in one of these as he had the speaker just laying around. Surprisingly the amp was not the reviled dog it originally appeared to be, actually turned out to be quite decent amp.
why are you looking to upgrade? i wouldn't get rid of an EVM to be honest. i am not a fan of the 1258 either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I likes the speakers in my Ampeg of the same type... I think they where kinda V30-ey?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The amp has an ev & a celestion. That's why I'm trying to find out what model the ev is, so I can find the specs on the speaker itself to see if it'll have correct frequency range. It has a horn in it, so I don't know if the fr is too low on the high end for guitar. The stock celestion has to go, that's a given.