Janick Gers, Dave Murray, John 5 spring to mind, as do guys like Ritchie Blackmore and YJM. Mikael Akerfelt uses one on certain songs. Going more classic rock, you find Jeff Beck, Clapton, Gilmour and, of course, Jimi Hendrix.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 12, 2016,
Jari from Wintersun used a Telecaster in the first album.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
As long as you have a humbucker or single-coil sized humbucker then a strat is perfectly capable of doing metal, it's not super weird or anything.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Izzy Stradlin used a Telecaster on some of the AFD songs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Kytokinesis
As long as you have a humbucker or single-coil sized humbucker then a strat is perfectly capable of doing metal, it's not super weird or anything.

I don't know. I've done plenty of metal stuff with single coils, especially for leads.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't know. I've done plenty of metal stuff with single coils, especially for leads.

I don't doubt it, plus I know lots of people use single coils for solos/leads. As for rhythm/bridge position It probably depends a lot on the specific pickup and the amp.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Kytokinesis
I don't doubt it, plus I know lots of people use single coils for solos/leads. As for rhythm/bridge position It probably depends a lot on the specific pickup and the amp.

In fact, the other day after listening to None So Vile I rerecorded an old track with my telecaster through an MT-2 direct in. With the right LPF and a bit of touching up in the EQ in post, it can sound very good despite popular opinion.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i use a pink hello kitty telecaster with triple active EMGs, brings the metallica black album riffs right out !!
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Adam Dutkiewicz of KsE used a 3/4 sized Squier mini Strat with an active EMG 81 in the bridge position for the early days.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Guitarist for Dark Tranquillity from 1995-1999 played an SSS fender Strat. He made the sound work really well on the albums.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline