Page 1 of 3
Quote by Will Lane at #33967361
i could care less if a the flag touched the ground.

could have just put this and i'd know you're american
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

This would have more relevance back in the 00's when that type of thing was really mental. I remember flag manufacturers posting record numbers due to the amount of American flags they were selling, which were then burnt

I don't even understand why some people are so nationalistic either, why is your identity so linked to you as a person? I honestly feel that if people gave less of a shit about nationalism the world would be a better place.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Why would you burn flags when you could burn Bibles and Korans?
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Why would you burn flags when you could burn Bibles and Korans?

I'm for that
I used to have a T-shirt that had a picture of the American flag and underneath it said "Try to burn this one". At the time I was intimidating as hell anyway (I was big, strong, looked badass, and was meaner than a pitbull with AIDS).

Now I"m 51 and don't give a shit. There are a lot more pressing issues than people disrespecting a flag.
Ugh
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Will Lane
i am an american and i couldn't care less if a the flag touched the ground.

It's hard to explain the social construct of feeling a part of something if you don't fit in, nerd.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
its not worth its the investment
that keeps us tied up in all these strings
we draw lines & stand behind them
thats why flags are such ugly things
that
they should never touch the ground
Quote by Will Lane
i am an american and i couldn't care less if a the flag touched the ground.

Soooo the term desecration doesn't mean anything to you? Keeping the flag from touching the ground is an act of respect, no matter what state the country is in now the respect is for those who gave their lives for the freedoms that you enjoy and the ideals for which this country was founded now matter far today's politicians may have strayed from them!

Proper flag etiquette is for it be taken down and folded daily or if it is to be flown at night it should be illuminated at all times, once faded, tattered, or desecrated in some other fashion such as touching the ground or otherwise soiling, it should be properly folded and burned in a private ceremony then replaced with a new one, again as a matter of respect.

Nobody expects you to get the Stars and Stripes tatooed on your chest but a little respect for the flag is not too much to ask.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I saw quite a few guys get sent home from Iraq with the flag, I know at least some of those dudes were there cause the flag represented something they felt strongly about. A flag can be a comfort sometimes. Maybe that's corny but it's true.
I probably would've cared back then. I probably do now. It's just a bit of respect.
This sounds really dumb. But it's a pretty dumb thread topic anyway.
Last edited by Mad Sweeney at May 12, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine at #33967501
Soooo the term desecration doesn't mean anything to you? Keeping the flag from touching the ground is an act of respect, no matter what state the country is in now the respect is for those who gave their lives for the freedoms that you enjoy and the ideals for which this country was founded now matter far today's politicians may have strayed from them!

Proper flag etiquette is for it be taken down and folded daily or if it is to be flown at night it should be illuminated at all times, once faded, tattered, or desecrated in some other fashion such as touching the ground or otherwise soiling, it should be properly folded and burned in a private ceremony then replaced with a new one, again as a matter of respect.

Nobody expects you to get the Stars and Stripes tatooed on your chest but a little respect for the flag is not too much to ask.

i feel like this is a joke and i hope it is

Quote by Mad Sweeney
I saw quite a few guys get sent home from Iraq with the flag, I know at least some of those dudes were there cause the flag represented something they felt strongly about. A flag can be a comfort sometimes. Maybe that's corny but it's true.
I probably would've cared back then. I probably do now. It's just a bit of respect.
This sounds really dumb. But it's a pretty dumb thread topic anyway.

Thank you and there is nothing dumb having respect for those who are willing and those who have sacrificed their lives for the freedom of others.

And yes this thread is in poor taste!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 12, 2016,
I don't really care if someone wants to light a flag on fire. I care that someone else cares enough to feel the need to prove to everyone that they think lighting a flag on fire makes them better than everyone.
Quote by Trowzaa
i feel like this is a joke and i hope it is

The only joke is the lack of respect.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Thank you and there is nothing dumb having respect for those who are willing and those who have sacrificed their lives for the freedom of others.

And yes this thread is in poor taste!

No need for thanks man it was a job. I do think about those guys and some other buddies when I see shit like this though.

Respect isn't the same as patriotism or nationalism or whatever other word.
Quote by Mad Sweeney
No need for thanks man it was a job. I do think about those guys and some other buddies when I see shit like this though.

Respect isn't the same as patriotism or nationalism or whatever other word.

Yes there is a need for thanks for your service, that is my belief anyway.

That's my only point there is a lack of respect among the younger generations, I have respect always for the soldier even when a countries leadership has them fighting for a cause I don't believe in, a flags is a symbol of respect and patriotism, which if someone is enjoying the freedoms it represents they should be humble enough to have a little.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 12, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine

i understand the ideology behind it but we put so much symbolic emphasis on the flag rather than the actual meaning behind it, it just sounds like mindless patriotism. by your statements, if i am folding a flag for whatever reason and it touches the ground by accident, i have desecrated my entire nation and that is a silly weight on anyone's shoulder's when you are only handling the symbol of the reason- not the reason itself. i would be saying "screw those who died for our freedom" just because some fabric touched the ground. no, i have indefinite respect for those who fought and died, but idolatry for a flag? no.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 12, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
This would have more relevance back in the 00's when that type of thing was really mental. I remember flag manufacturers posting record numbers due to the amount of American flags they were selling, which were then burnt

I don't even understand why some people are so nationalistic either, why is your identity so linked to you as a person? I honestly feel that if people gave less of a shit about nationalism the world would be a better place.

This is what people say has nothing to be proud of. You'll understand if your country ever gets even halfway to the moon.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Will Lane
i understand the ideology behind it but we put so much symbolic emphasis on the flag rather than the actual meaning behind it, it just sounds like mindless patriotism. by your statements, if i am folding a flag for whatever reason and it touches the ground by accident, i have desecrated my entire nation and that is a silly weight on anyone's shoulder's when you are only handling the symbol of the reason- not the reason itself. it is saying "screw those who died for our freedom" just because some fabric touched the ground.

Nope it doesn't mean you have desecrated the entire nation because you accidentally touch the ground but it is a symbol of our freedoms and deserves to be treated as such, and in my opinion as well as many others it at least deserves enough respect that one should care if it touches the ground
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by theogonia777 at #33967544
This is what people say has nothing to be proud of. You'll understand if your country ever gets even halfway to the moon.

lmao

Quote by Trowzaa
lmao

You laughing at pride for the American flag is very funny considering your status says 2 world wars and 1 world cup... America won those wars for you... without that flags pride you would be speaking German or Japanese.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at May 12, 2016,
Quote by SFosterS at #33967560
You laughing at pride for the American flag is very funny considering your status says 2 world wars and 1 world cup... America won those wars for you... without that flags pride you would be speaking German or Japanese.

:')

i thank russia more tbh

Quote by Trowzaa
lmao

has the British space programme even put a man into space lol
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777 at #33967572
has the British space programme even put a man into space lol

we use the european space agency and yes, we currently have an astronaut on the ISS right now

Quote by Anthony1991
why is your identity so linked to you as a person?

I agree with you on the nationalism stuff, because nationalism is fucking dumb and taking pride in anything that wasn't your own personal accomplishment is fucking dumb, but this particular quote makes no sense to me.

Your identity *is* you as a person, that's what "identity" means, so you basically just asked "why is your identity your identity?" which doesn't make any sense as a question.
If there is a God, it's me.
Quote by Trowzaa
:')

i thank russia more tbh

That is why Japenese is there too :')
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by qrEE at #33967581
I agree with you on the nationalism stuff, because nationalism is fucking dumb and taking pride in anything that wasn't your own personal accomplishment is fucking dumb, but this particular quote makes no sense to me.

Your identity *is* you as a person, that's what "identity" means, so you basically just asked "why is your identity your identity?" which doesn't make any sense as a question.

it was probably a typo and he meant "why is your nationality so linked to you as a person" or something

Quote by SFosterS at #33967584
That is why Japenese is there too :')

if japan managed to make it all the way across to the other side of the world then i'd have accepted it, would have been impressive

Last edited by Trowzaa at May 12, 2016,
Quote by Trowzaa
we use the european space agency and yes, we currently have an astronaut on the ISS right now

so what you're saying is that

just like the World Wars

you had somebody else do the work /for/ you
Quote by Trowzaa
it was probably a typo and he meant "why is your nationality so linked to you as a person" or something

to be fair I'm horribly sleep deprived rn so I probably *did* misinterpret it. But whatever, a chance to rant is a chance to rant.
If there is a God, it's me.
Quote by theogonia777 at #33967628
so what you're saying is that

just like the World Wars

you had somebody else do the work /for/ you

he went up on the same rocket as your american astronauts do, russian built ones

Quote by Trowzaa
he went up on the same rocket as your american astronauts do, russian built ones

we save our good rockets for real missions

can't waste them on low earth orbit crap
Page 1 of 3