Gravity picks showed up in my local shop for 6 bucks each. I can get 8 dunlop Pretrucci picks for that. It seems like a ripoff but what do you guys think?
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
Gravity picks showed up in my local shop for 6 bucks each. I can get 8 dunlop Pretrucci picks for that. It seems like a ripoff but what do you guys think?

It depends what you like out of a pick. I do have a couple of Gravitys, but personally, my favourite picks are Ultex Sharp .73s, though I also have a Dragonheart carbon pick for acoustic stuff.
I'm just not generally a fan of very firm picks. I like quite a bit of flex.

If you like the feel of very heavy, but hard and light picks, Gravity's acrylic picks are probably worth a go.

I mean let's face it, people will happily pay $6 for a coffee, so $6 for a pick that will last months sounds like a pretty fair deal to me
What claims are they making that seem like BS to you?

If it's just "these are good picks, they're $6, take them or leave them" I don't see what's worth complaining about. There's always going to be gear more expensive than you're willing to pay for. No point in getting upset about its mere existence.
I have some picks that are less than $1 each. I have freebies. I have picks that cost $30 each. Different picks do things differently. They sound different, feel different. They have differing levels of durability, flex and grip.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
not bs at all. I've pretty much used every regular pick htat exists. My v-picks are the best picks I've ever used. Just don't lose your picks.
They use a different material, most of them are handbuffed and they are a bit of a different style then anything you can get from the big manufacturers.

That being said, this style of pick has been out for years now...I don't see why dunlop or somebody doesn't have a product that is similar by now.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Roc8995
What claims are they making that seem like BS to you?

If it's just "these are good picks, they're $6, take them or leave them" I don't see what's worth complaining about. There's always going to be gear more expensive than you're willing to pay for. No point in getting upset about its mere existence.

Not angry about it. Like with "premium" bottled water these seem to be more expensive than normal picks for..perhaps no reason at all.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
Not angry about it. Like with "premium" bottled water these seem to be more expensive than normal picks for..perhaps no reason at all.

That's a little harder to say for water. But you looked at these picks right. Like there isn't a gravity pick that's built that same as any of the common picks you can buy.
Quote by 21GunSalute

It just seems like this was an excuse for complaint. It's pretty obvious that this wasn't just a good faith attempt at an unbiased "what do you think" thread. Something about this product seemed to bother you enough to make a thread about it, and it seems like it was more of a demand for justification than a genuine curiosity about the actual picks. And I'm not sure it's productive to complain that some things cost more than you think they should cost. That's pretty cheap talk.
I use Gravity Razers. I can get a 2 pack for $10 at my local Sam Ash. I like them because they're nice and thick (2mm) and don't move. They also last a really long time. I've been cycling 4 for 6 months now with zero signs of major wear. Sure I could probably buy Ultex Sharp 1.2s for like $6 a 12 pack and get the same results but I just like the feeling that I'm buying the premium and my money isn't being wasted on something so disposable.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I bought a variety pack from them. I now use almost exclusively my Gravity Sunrise picks. They're super high quality picks with a lot of different options. If your JP signature picks work for you (they're probably my fourth or fifth favorite picks), then good for you! That's awesome!

I just really like the stiffness and feel of the gravity picks.
So they are stiffer than ultex, at the same thickness?

I like stiff picks since I mostly practice soloing.

I can't imagine the handmade edging does much but if the properties of the material are different, it would be worthwhile

EDIT: In response to posts about me being biased against boutique picks, I suppose I am. At the same time, I really want to hear from people who have tried them, and see what the price difference is all about. I figured I don't want to buy them if there is really no difference, but if you guys recommend them I can give it a shot
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at May 12, 2016,
Stone picks can deliver a sharp stock, do not flex, and can glide over strings like they were glass.
http://www.stonepicks.com/jpicks.html
http://www.picksandstones.com/

Carbon Nylon feels like regular picks, but is much firmer, even for thin picks. It has a little bit of flex, but not much.
http://www.amazon.com/Pickboy-Sharp-Carbon-Nylon-1-00mm/dp/B003VT9SJ6

Metal picks- copper, steel, titanium, tungsten carbide, etc.- are like stone ones in their inflexibility, but they're much thinner.
http://epicgrip.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 12, 2016,
Gravities are pretty cheap. I prefer v-picks.

They aren't nylon. The stone and metal is cool but I think it's kind of gimmicky. I've got a bunch and I don't really like them.

V-picks and Gravities are made out of acrylic. Blue chip and red bear are some kind of nylon I think. and Winspear is a polyethelyne blend.

All these picks are stiffer then anything you can get at the store. Definitely thicker then ultex.

It's not really just a price thing though. I've got a couple of the 30 dollar bluechips and red bears and I don't really like them at all.

v-picks are definitely great though. If dunlop made a 3mm ultra stiff ultex pick that would be pretty cool but they don't.

They also last a long time.

new pick on the right and a 3 year old pick on the left. I can buff the point back in with sandpaper but I use the rounded one for my acoustic.

speaking of which i should order some winspears.
i haven't tried them, i just never think to buy one.

i really like the dunlop carbon fiber jazz iii's. they are very aggressively etched for good grip, and they last forever. pretty reasonable too. $9 for 24 picks.

i heard somebody on one of these threads (it may have been you AM), but something along the lines of "you stop losing picks when you don't view them as disposable" i think that is a good statement.

personally i would go through too many of them in different places, and cars, and gig bag,s and people unintentionally (maybe some intentionally) pocketing them in my studio. i sometime have a lot of people coming and leaving there.

if i see one for $5 i will buy one to see. who knows? maybe i will be converted. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Personally, I like a bit of flex in my picks. I drop stiff ones too much when I get aggressive.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
One of the things I like about the stone picks is the glassy polish they take. Unlike most materials, a good agate, jade, or similar stone pick will be too slick to do a proper pick slide without using the point. They're too smooth, too rounded..

Instead, though, if rhythmically rubbed along the string, you can get short,pulsing bow like effects.

Quote by 21GunSalute

But there is a reason why they are more expensive.....
..I was watching my death.
FWIW the big corporations like Dunlop will always have an advantage as far as mass producing at a cheaper rate, truth be told they could sell their products cheaper if it were not for marketing costs.

Smaller companies do not enjoy the economies of size that larger ones do and still are out marketing costs, insurance etc. Everything is more expensive when manufacturing smaller quantites vs. mass quantities.

Also there is often more attention to detail in the manufacturing process of less than mega corporations.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 13, 2016,
Quote by 21GunSalute

I've been using Gravity picks for several years; he's relatively local (well, middle California) and I was around when he first started making them. He actually offered free samples in those days. I wanted a very stiff, fairly thick pick with a sharp point, and the Razer in 2mm filled the bill. Like you, of course, my initial reaction was, "You're charging HOW much?"

I've used a pretty wide variety of picks (they give/gave away V-Picks to folks who attended the LA Amp Show, and I've had one each of almost everything else, including stone, wood, brass, etc.) and sort of settled on this one.

I expected to lose it right away, but I still have the original nearly-clear slightly bluish pick. Maybe if you know they're six bucks, you take better care of it. Recently Rob Chapman discovered them and he now has a signature pick. Much as I do NOT care about all things Chappers, his signature pick turned out to be... a 2mm Razer, but in an easier to see color with a couple of "custom" add-ons that I really didn't want to pay extra for. But since the Chappers pick is the same price as the standard, I'm willing to suffer the slings and arrows and accusations of fanboi-ism, and I have them shipped to me in a plain brown wrapper.

Short story long, my answer would be, "No, they're not a ripoff."

But neither do I leave them out for my pick-thieving friends. Instead, there's a small dish of Pick Punch-manufactured picks made of various materials, including old gift and credit cards. My hipster friends think the credit-card ones are somehow intended as ironic and steal them first.

Dspellman, thanks for the details. Maybe I'll pick up one similar to that razer 2.0 or Chapman you mentioned, just to see.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
BTW got a gravity pick, stealth triangle 2mm today. So far I like it a lot! Very stable and the attack is louder than the JP for sure.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
I mainly use Tortex and Star picks which are made from the same material. I have a few VPicks and other that I use for different things. The thick VPicks are great for bass and blues playing. There's something about hitting that note with heavy pick in blues.
Quote by Roc8995
It just seems like this was an excuse for complaint. It's pretty obvious that this wasn't just a good faith attempt at an unbiased "what do you think" thread. Something about this product seemed to bother you enough to make a thread about it, and it seems like it was more of a demand for justification than a genuine curiosity about the actual picks. And I'm not sure it's productive to complain that some things cost more than you think they should cost. That's pretty cheap talk.

I don't see what the problem was with the thread- he said, "they seem like a ripoff but what do you guys think?". sounds to me like he wanted to know if they were worth more and if so, why. (plus it looks like he bought one now, so )

Not saying you can't have a thread started with a loaded question, but this seems like a pretty low level version of that (if even at all), to me anyway. and to be fair to 21GS, there's a lot of BS in other boutique guitar products.

I guess I just get a bit concerned (I'm talking in general here, not about this thread) that if people get jumped upon when they make a thread, people will be scared to make a thread. That already happens in some of the other forums here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 12, 2016,
21GunSalute Dead Easy to answer this IMHO - what picks do all your favourite artistes use ? Loads of different ones. Yep - I've got a pick made from a silver unicorns foreskin and I sound..........pretty average! If you want a $6 pick then it ain't the end of the World if it doesn't turn you into SRV.
Quote by 21GunSalute
BTW got a gravity pick, stealth triangle 2mm today. So far I like it a lot! Very stable and the attack is louder than the JP for sure.

Is that something carried by one of the online stores? Sweetwater?