#1
So I just changed the batteries in my schecter diamond series bass for the first time and after removing the old 9v battery and checking the polarities I connected it expecting to hear that sweet sweet bass but instead I heard a pop and started smelling smoke (like an electrical fire)

I removed the back plate and tried again but the same thing happened. The moment I plugged in the jack smoke erupted from the wiring

PS: the first time I didn't pull out the jack while changing the battery could that be it???

I'm stressing out a bit so help would be much appreciated


Also the bass has a master volume knob and and a thee band eq, no pickup selector if that helps
#3
Quote by kabadi.man
Does it still work?


no its completely Kaput i cant put a battery in without it smoking up and since the pickups are active you kinda need the battery
#4
Quote by Spaz91
A 9v battery shouldn't be able to do much damage, except to itself. A daft question but was the bass plugged into an amp at the time?

yeah it was

a peavy 115 watt thing thats about 20 years old that i bought from a mate
#5
if the electronics are fried, you have option to upgrade them to something better, or replace components and copy the wiring schematics of your bass guitar. just need a good soldering iron, solder and careful hands.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
#7
Quote by dspellman
This is the result of too many attempts at Smoke On The Waaaaaaawwwterrrr.


LoL... i smell weed.

please take no offense. i'm jokin
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
#8
Coincidences do happen but look for the simplest solution first. Assuming all was working before you changed the battery????

The simplest explanation is that you have created a short circuit somewhere. Have you accidentally shorted the battery leads, perhaps they were a bit frayed and are now touching where they weren't before, have you put one of the screws through a lead? Are there any metal plates that are shorting the leads.

If there is smoke then there ought to be scorch marks, open her up again and have a really careful look.