So I just changed the batteries in my schecter diamond series bass for the first time and after removing the old 9v battery and checking the polarities I connected it expecting to hear that sweet sweet bass but instead I heard a pop and started smelling smoke (like an electrical fire)

I removed the back plate and tried again but the same thing happened. The moment I plugged in the jack smoke erupted from the wiring

PS: the first time I didn't pull out the jack while changing the battery could that be it???

I'm stressing out a bit so help would be much appreciated

Also the bass has a master volume knob and and a thee band eq, no pickup selector if that helps
Quote by kabadi.man
Does it still work?

no its completely Kaput i cant put a battery in without it smoking up and since the pickups are active you kinda need the battery
Quote by Spaz91
A 9v battery shouldn't be able to do much damage, except to itself. A daft question but was the bass plugged into an amp at the time?

yeah it was

a peavy 115 watt thing thats about 20 years old that i bought from a mate
if the electronics are fried, you have option to upgrade them to something better, or replace components and copy the wiring schematics of your bass guitar. just need a good soldering iron, solder and careful hands.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by dspellman
This is the result of too many attempts at Smoke On The Waaaaaaawwwterrrr.

LoL... i smell weed.

please take no offense. i'm jokin
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Coincidences do happen but look for the simplest solution first. Assuming all was working before you changed the battery????

The simplest explanation is that you have created a short circuit somewhere. Have you accidentally shorted the battery leads, perhaps they were a bit frayed and are now touching where they weren't before, have you put one of the screws through a lead? Are there any metal plates that are shorting the leads.

If there is smoke then there ought to be scorch marks, open her up again and have a really careful look.