I own a Squier Strat Affinity Series. One day my high e string broke and as I noticed all the other five strings tuned half a step up. is this normal ?
On the main forum directory hit 'NEW THREAD' button towards the top of the page.
To explain it a bit - string tension was decreased when the string broke, and therefore the spring which holds the bridge in correct position pulled the bridge towards the body, resulting in increased pitch.
Your Strat has a floating tremolo bridge and the bridge will tilt backwards if the string tension decreases. And that will happen when your string breaks (it will also happen if you just tune one of your strings down). And when the bridge tilts backwards, it causes the tuning of the other strings to go sharp.

This applies to all guitars with floating tremolo bridges. And actually, there will be a slight change in tuning even on hardtail guitars because the decrease of string tension will also cause the neck to bend slightly backwards which will affect the tuning of the other strings.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Your Strat has a floating tremolo bridge and the bridge will tilt backwards if the string tension decreases. And that will happen when your string breaks (it will also happen if you just tune one of your strings down). And when the bridge tilts backwards, it causes the tuning of the other strings to go sharp.

This applies to all guitars with floating tremolo bridges. And actually, there will be a slight change in tuning even on hardtail guitars because the decrease of string tension will also cause the neck to bend slightly backwards which will affect the tuning of the other strings.