I'm thinking of writing an instrumental at some point. This could be soon or in the future. I do have an idea of how I want it to kind of sound, the ways I would like it to sound would be how the first guitar solo or intro solo from metallica's one. That's kind of the speed I want it to be at etc. I also have an idea of what scale I want to use. I am thinking of either the minor pentatonic scale or maybe the Harmonic minor scale, both of which I know fluently. But does anyone have any tips for writing an instrumental as I am a total beginner for writing instrumentals I have written songs and solo's but no instrumentals as of yet.
Take this for what you will, because I'm not speaking from an authority. When I think of instrumentals, be it guitars or orchestral, they do have their parts. Now, I don't know how detailed you want to go, having a basic format of Verse,Chorus,Verse,Chorus and building from that is my vote for where to start. Now, the fun part is getting the verse/chorus parts created.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Take this for what you will, because I'm not speaking from an authority. When I think of instrumentals, be it guitars or orchestral, they do have their parts. Now, I don't know how detailed you want to go, having a basic format of Verse,Chorus,Verse,Chorus and building from that is my vote for where to start. Now, the fun part is getting the verse/chorus parts created.

I agree here. Still needs to have the parts, otherwise it will not feel solid nor complete. It'll feel like a pandering track struggling to find its path.

The "chorus" should be a very catchy melody/riff. And each time it's repeated, altered a bit so it doesn't sound like a song that someone forgot to record vocals for.

REMEMBER THOUGH!
Music is a reflection of self and doesn't need to follow ANY formula, all the theory in the world will not help you write music. It'll help you understand why you're able to express yourself through it though.