im looking at doing a pickup swap on the cheap on my Schecter Omen 6. Guitar is used for D Standard/Drop C and used to play metal, i mostly cover a lot of Children of Bodom song with some Killswitch Engaged / Hatebreed / Pantera and other metal bands.

ATM i have the stock diamond series pups, i found them to be very dark and muddy even after playing with the pickup height, hell even playing harmonics sound muddy and lifeless.

what im looking at ATM are those two:
-GFS Power/Crunchy rails, what i have found as now is that the Crunchy Rails try to be some sort of DimarZio Super D copy while the Power Rails try to be a DimarZio X2N copy - while a lot of people say they sound very alike and even the GFS one sounding a bit better-

-Dragonfire 81c/85a set. try to reproduce the ever popular EMG 81/85 combo.

i mostly play this guitar at home through a Peavey Vypyr VIP2.

i want to see what you UG'ers think of these choice, if any of you have experience with the aforementioned pickups or of you come with better option on a budget stand point.
Last edited by SlabPloX at May 13, 2016,
GFS seems to get pretty decent marks, Dragonfire less so. Note also that the dragonfire are actives, which will NOT be as simple a swap.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I think you should keep passives in it personally, and the perfect pickup combo (while remaining entirely passive, of course, but, if you're more experienced in wiring, refer to solution 2) is an Invader in the bridge (nice, bass-ful, gainy chugging rhythm) and an Alnico II (searing, but still clear) higher end lead.

Solution 2:

I did this to my Schecter Demon and I absolutely love it. Run an active neck pup (I used a blackout) to one pot as neck volume, (with the normal hookups to the battery) then the neck pot to the switch in the proper position that a neck pup would have on a standard wiring diagram. Then, run the bridge to the other pot, and wire it as a bridge volume, then the bridge pot to the proper switch position on a standard passive wiring diagram. After this, wire it (using how you would on a standard active wiring diagram) to an active-style output jack, and you're now running a active/passive rig, and the output should be similar enough that there's no issue. Keep in mind, one pot will act as a gate for the other. (in my case, neck was the gate) meaning in order to play ANYTHING, the neck pot always had to be on full, or else it would stop the signal entirely. It's not like it'll mess anything up, but just don't get nervous if that happens. If you need any more explanation on this, or want me to diagram it out, reply to this and I'll be happy to.
I have a few GFS pickups in some guitars. While I don't play COB music style I do play metal, Punk and Prog Metal/rock. My favorite GFS pickup I have tried is the Fat Pat. It actually replaced a Dimarzio Super Distortion and I like the GFS better, it is pretty articulate and not very muddy if your not adding a ton of bass. The GFS VEH is also a nice pickup

Just a question, what are your EQ settings? because using a scooped setting will make most pickups muddy regardless of make.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate