Hi there,
after 10 years of service I'd like to sell my Ibanez AEG-10 and get a new acoustic guitar. My Ibanez is pretty decent when amplified, but way too plasticky and dull when played acoustic only. I'd like to get a guitar that sounds better and more natural. I'd like it in natural wood, with less poly finish possible (mine is black and very heavily finished). No dreadnought. The price should be within 300/320$/€. Any advice? Thanks a lot!
Ekam Sat
2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | Blackstar HT-5R
I see your Ibanez is a cutaway acoustic/electric. I'd recommend moving to acoustic only. You can get more guitar for your money that way. Also I'd recommend not getting a cutaway model unless it's critical to your style of play.

The usual candidates for your price range: I'll recommend anything you can find by Taylor in that range. Just did the exchange rate conversion and you have the equivalent of $361 American to spend. You can find the BigBaby used for about $200 in the USA pretty easily, but in Europe I have no idea. Very rarely I will see Taylor 110s in Craigslist for $400. I'd highly recommend stretching your budget a little if you see one of those, they are great guitars.

The other usual culprits: Seagull, Yamaha, and some other smaller makers. Seagull makes good instruments. That being said I bought a Seagull I'm now unhappy with (Entourage Rustic). I didn't realize how much the tone of that guitar would get on my nerves with time, but it's well made and plays great. Don't judge Seagull's other guitars too harshly, the Rustic has different wood than the others. The Seagull S6, if you can find it with a spruce top, would be great.

I'm quite fond of the Yamaha APX-500 series. I love thin, comfy guitars. It's an acoustic/electric just like your Ibanez. Patticake (she's mean) doesn't like them . If I was planning on an acoustic-electric I'd probably consider something like the APX-500.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 13, 2016,
Thanks a lot for the replies, but today I went to the store and it was just love at first sight with a Breedlove Discovery Concert... I tried it and I found it great for the price (and immensly better sounding than my Ibanez). I'm sure it's not as good as some pure acoustics TobusRex mentioned, but when you fall in love you just can't help it
Ekam Sat
2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | Blackstar HT-5R
Quote by davidrf
Thanks a lot for the replies, but today I went to the store and it was just love at first sight with a Breedlove Discovery Concert... I tried it and I found it great for the price (and immensly better sounding than my Ibanez). I'm sure it's not as good as some pure acoustics TobusRex mentioned, but when you fall in love you just can't help it
I'm baffled by what you mean by, "doesn't sound as good as the pure acoustics....[ ]..."? Your Breedlove IS a bona fide acoustic guitar. The electronics and cutaway effect that little to none. If you tried a pure acoustic version of your guitar, you likely wouldn't hear much of a difference, it would have just cost a bit less. Besides, in mid-priced instruments, having the on board factory electronics should make it easier to sell, should that occasion arise.

I don't want to rain on your parade but, that particular Ibanez is particularly ugly sounding. It's all laminate, and tuned to suppress feedback. Which ultimately gives it all the wonderful acoustic qualities of the box it came in, after being filled with packing peanuts. I have its slightly bigger brother, the AEL10, which hangs right in there suck-wise alongside the AEG...

Moving on, some players do prefer the sound of those mid-size bodies. They tend to be slightly more "present" without the bass boom of a dread. And true, you can't help who you fall in love with....

Anyway, "Happy New Guitar Day", best of luck with your new axe. If you feel so moved, you might throw up a few photos in a "HNGD" thread. Pics are always appreciated..
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 14, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm baffled by what you mean by, "doesn't sound as good as the pure acoustics....[ ]..."? Your Breedlove IS a bona fide acoustic guitar. The electronics and cutaway effect that little to none. If you tried a pure acoustic version of your guitar, you likely wouldn't hear much of a difference, it would have just cost a bit less. Besides, in mid-priced instruments, having the on board factory electronics should make it easier to sell, should that occasion arise.

I'm no expert in acoustic guitars I just keep hearing acoustic "purists" saying "if it has a cutaway it doesn't sound like a real acoustic", "if it has a slim body... bleah", and so on. Anyway I'm very happy with this Breedlove.

Quote by Captaincranky
I don't want to rain on your parade but, that particular Ibanez is particularly ugly sounding.

It really sounded like crap. I've never really noticed it before, since it was my first and only acoustic up until saturday. A friend of mine still has one, identical to the one I had, and out of curiosity, yersterday I asked him if I could borrow it. I played it alternately with my new Breedlove and... my God. The Breedlove may not be the best sounding guitar in the world but the difference with the AEG10 is mind blowing. I don't want to see another AEG10 in my life. Ever.
Ekam Sat
Quote by davidrf
I'm no expert in acoustic guitars I just keep hearing acoustic "purists" saying "if it has a cutaway it doesn't sound like a real acoustic", "if it has a slim body... bleah", and so on. Anyway I'm very happy with this Breedlove.

It really sounded like crap. I've never really noticed it before, since it was my first and only acoustic up until saturday. A friend of mine still has one, identical to the one I had, and out of curiosity, yersterday I asked him if I could borrow it. I played it alternately with my new Breedlove and... my God. The Breedlove may not be the best sounding guitar in the world but the difference with the AEG10 is mind blowing. I don't want to see another AEG10 in my life. Ever.

The cutaway makes no difference in the sound as far as I can hear. They are generally more expensive (usually around $100) more than the same model in the conventional shape. I believe that's because it's harder /more work to bend the wood into the cutout shape. I love the looks of an acoustic with a cutout but as far as usefulness, the heel of the guitar is still gonna make it difficult to reach the upper frets... cutout or not. The slim bodied acoustic do lack the volume and bass/tone of a full bodied guitar. That's just phsyics. I have an Ibanez aeg30e and I think it sounds decent for a slim body. It's actually only an inch at the most slimmer than a full dread.

I have a breedlove pursuit which is a very nice guitar. The only thing I don't like is the ugly shaped headstock. I think the logic that you get "more guitar" if you go without electronics is an antiquated notion. Buying a guitar with built in elctronics/tuner is a usually a very good deal, much cheaper and less hassle than trying to add electronics later. Even if you don't plug in much, it's nice to have that option in case you ever want to. Most mid level and up guitars come with electronics whether you want them or not.
Quote by hotrodney71
I have a breedlove pursuit which is a very nice guitar. The only thing I don't like is the ugly shaped headstock.

Funnily enough, I can't express how much I love that headstock
Ekam Sat
Quote by davidrf
Funnily enough, I can't express how much I love that headstock

haha, I didn't like the headstock on my seagull at first either but that one has grown on me. The breedlove, not so much. Sometimes I'm tempted to get out the wood saw and hack off that tip. I see you have the mustang 3 amp. I have one also, the options on that amp are unreal. Had it a few months and haven't even scratched the surface on it's capabilities.
Quote by davidrf

That's a fact...when you fall in love with a guitar the pricepoint doesn't seem that important

Congrats on the new guitar! That's a pretty axe, no doubt about it (which color did you pick?). Plus I've heard only good things about Breedlove. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. How much did you spend for it? Have to go outside your price range? I see they go for $499 new at Guitarcenter.

Regarding my comment on "pure acoustics", it wasn't meant as a slam on acoustic-electrics. I just meant that since part of the money is going towards electronics that a person couldn't get as much "guitar" for the same amount.

I am currently playing an acoustic electric and have only plugged it in once (to verify the electronics work).
Last edited by TobusRex at May 17, 2016,
Quote by hotrodney71
haha, I didn't like the headstock on my seagull at first either but that one has grown on me. The breedlove, not so much. Sometimes I'm tempted to get out the wood saw and hack off that tip. I see you have the mustang 3 amp. I have one also, the options on that amp are unreal. Had it a few months and haven't even scratched the surface on it's capabilities.

I like the very spartan headstocks on Seagull's products. They have the same headstock on their dulcimer (except smaller). Very distinctive headstocks.
Quote by TobusRex
I like the very spartan headstocks on Seagull's products. They have the same headstock on their dulcimer (except smaller). Very distinctive headstocks.
The S-12's (12 string), head stock looks like a whale's penis. Or a least that what someone passing through here seemed to think. (God knows, I would never say such a horrible thing).
Quote by Tony Done
Careful you don't offend a passing whale....[ ]...
As long as we don't have a whale for a moderator, I think I'll be all right.....
Quote by Captaincranky
As long as we don't have a whale for a moderator, I think I'll be all right.....

Or someone equipped like a whale.

Don't worry, I won't complain
Quote by hotrodney71
I see you have the mustang 3 amp. I have one also, the options on that amp are unreal. Had it a few months and haven't even scratched the surface on it's capabilities.

Yeah it is pretty awesome for its price. I used to be very skeptical about model amps but the Mustang III made me change my mind.
Ekam Sat
Quote by TobusRex
Or someone equipped like a whale. ...[ ]...
Being land animals, I thought exceptionally well endowed humans were more often compared with Equus Caballus.
Quote by TobusRex

Yeah at first I thought it was just so skinny and weird looking but now I don't mind it. At least it's asymmetrical. I have the SWS mini-jumbo spruce top and the guitar is a beauty. Sounds great too. The wider nut throws me off however since all the rest of my guitars are the standard 43mm(1 11/16). Having large hands, I thought I'd enjoy the extra space but I find myself picking up the breedlove more often for my everyday strummer. I like my Yamaha A1R better than both but it sits in the hard case right now in need of string change.
Quote by Captaincranky
Being land animals, I thought exceptionally well endowed humans were more often compared with Equus Caballus.

I'm compared to Equus Caballus frequently, but only when discussing how I smell.
Quote by davidrf
Yeah it is pretty awesome for its price. I used to be very skeptical about model amps but the Mustang III made me change my mind.

Yeah for the money, I don't know if you can beat the mustang 3. It has a gazillion effects and settings and it will rock your house off the foundation. However, I went through all 100 presets and couldn't a good basic dirty, crunchy, classic hard rock tone that I liked(like a marshall). Seemed like everything was either a clean sound with some sort of effect or else a high pitched speed metal sound, a little tweaking on the nobs got it closer. I know if I like marshall I should have gone with a Marshall but from my research, the fender mustang blows away marshall's modelling amps and I'm mostly acoustic and don't want to spend the money on a tube amp.
Quote by hotrodney71
Yeah for the money, I don't know if you can beat the mustang 3. It has a gazillion effects and settings and it will rock your house off the foundation. However, I went through all 100 presets and couldn't a good basic dirty, crunchy, classic hard rock tone that I liked(like a marshall). Seemed like everything was either a clean sound with some sort of effect or else a high pitched speed metal sound, a little tweaking on the nobs got it closer. I know if I like marshall I should have gone with a Marshall but from my research, the fender mustang blows away marshall's modelling amps and I'm mostly acoustic and don't want to spend the money on a tube amp.

Have you tried downloading some presets you can find here https://fuse.fender.com/mustang/presets/ ? I got 2 or 3 presets not bad at all.

To be honest, one problem I have with this amp is I actually spend too much time dialing in and fine tuning the various effects... for some strange reason, sometimes I wish it was more straightworward and simple. I know the best thing about this kind of amps is the versatility and the emulation of tons of effects, but it can happen you spend more time adjusting effects than actually playing...

Don't know if this makes sense to you.
Ekam Sat
Quote by davidrf
Have you tried downloading some presets you can find here https://fuse.fender.com/mustang/presets/ ? I got 2 or 3 presets not bad at all.

To be honest, one problem I have with this amp is I actually spend too much time dialing in and fine tuning the various effects... for some strange reason, sometimes I wish it was more straightworward and simple. I know the best thing about this kind of amps is the versatility and the emulation of tons of effects, but it can happen you spend more time adjusting effects than actually playing...

Don't know if this makes sense to you.

Yeah exactly! There's too much to choose from. I play acoustic 90% of the time, just tune and go. I'm a rock fan so I love electric but I don't like putting in all the time to the electric part of it with the amp settings plus the settings on the guitar. It's very time consuming even with a preset modelling amp.