Hope this is the right place to put this. I just swapped out my pickups in my plywood epiphone sg special. The guitar had a great metal tone to begin with but i had a pair of emg hz pickups that were free so i swapped them. They sounded worse than the epiphone pickups! I know thats subjective. The original pickups out of the 2000ish epiphone sounded high pitched with little low frequency tones and a hot crunchy distorted rackety sound with a large amount of sustain. I mean when i did a false harmonic the noise just kept going until it became feedback and then continued to squeal forever. The new hzs just sounded dead with little of that kind of sustain. No crunch, just a muddy thudd thudd when i went chugg chugg. Hzs are supposed to be hi output pickups but they both read 13.58 kohms on the ohm meter while the epiphones read just over 16 kohms. I feel like the hzs are not nearly as good for metal as cheap epiphone pickups and further more the hz sound very similar to some pickups i just bought on amazon for 20 bucks a pair and the 20 dolllar pickups have adjustable pole pieces.
Last edited by geo-rage at May 13, 2016,
because they don't sound good? personal preference? are ugly?

i don't get why you are asking.

i don't like them. i think they are shit, personally. have you re-EQ'd you amp?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Okay, I'm not the only one confused. Until recently, I didn't realize the dislike of the HZ's. They don't seem terrible from my end, but I don't have a gauntlet of experience or axes on hand either.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Okay, I'm not the only one confused. Until recently, I didn't realize the dislike of the HZ's. They don't seem terrible from my end, but I don't have a gauntlet of experience or axes on hand either.

are you confused or am i confused? or am i confused about you being confused?

i have had them in two jacksons. fizzy fuzzy muddy and just flat out nasty. i tore them out as soon as i could.

i think the only reason people end up with them is because they are cheaper than active EMG's, and think they sound the same. they don't. you would be better off with just about any seymour duncan or dimarzio on the market.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Save your pennies and get some Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers. Or maybe a RailHammer Anvil & Chisel set.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by geo-rage
The guitar had a great metal tone to begin with but i had a pair of emg hz pickups that were free so i swapped them.

Hzs are supposed to be hi output pickups but they both read 13.58 kohms on the ohm meter while the epiphones read just over 16 kohms.

Put the old pickups back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZctouMPIjk

Just so that you're aware, simply reading the resistance of the pickups will NOT necessarily tell you whether the pickup is high output or not.
I have HZs in my DXMG they came factory in it, I can't stand them the only reason they haven't been replaced yet is because I have several guitars and it hasn't just been a priority, I have a friend that likes them although for the life of me I can't figure out what he sees (or hears) in them.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 14, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
Put the old pickups back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZctouMPIjk

Second funniest movie of all time, only Blazing Saddles beats it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Oh yeah i put the old ones back. Hey i dont suppose the wiring had anything to do with it. They are 5 wire pickups. 2 wires are factory soldered together. That would be the single coil split and i wired the reds to the output and the green and bare to the ground. Does it make a dif what side of the coil goes to hot?
HZ's are pretty notorious as stock pickups on low-mid level guitars for beginners and the tone deaf. I guess Alexi Laiho rocked them but I have no idea why
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
The owner of the local music store said it is because they are designed to have a flatter response to be used better with modeling software. That makes sense.
Just tried them again in a first act guitar. Worst thing i ever heard in my life!! With a 223 cap they sounded like a neon lightbulb. With a 473 cap they sounded kind of normal but lifeless. Def putting the first acts back in.
I think if you have a set of HZ and a First Act under the same roof, you've got bigger problems than poor sounding pickups

But for real, its really not complicated. HZ are nothing more than a low end set of pups designed to be thrown into guitars from the factory, that cost the manufacturer very little. In their minds, they're better than nothing and they're hoping to capitalize on the EMG name.

Its like tubes in a Chinese made amp. They're almost all junk. But they cost the company next to nothing and HAVE to put something in there.
In before necro thread lock:

My Damien seems to have the H4/H4A set, which is allegedly based around the 81/85's, so that may be part of the reason I don't have a negative view. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Last edited by bjgrifter at Mar 16, 2017,
Quote by bjgrifter
In before necro thread lock:

My Damien seems to have the H4/H4A set, which is allegedly based around the 81/85's, so that may be part of the reason I don't have a negative view. 

Im curious what cap do they pair with hz's?
Haha. The answer almost has to be user error but i've been bumping this thread everytime i try to put those hz pickups in something and then emediately throw them out.
Quote by geo-rage
Im curious what cap do they pair with hz's?

I'd have to look. I remember stuff about the color bands on resistors back when I was in college, but not so much about caps. I'm curious anyway. 
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

bjgrifter

It's his thread.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
bjgrifter

It's his thread.

That's fine. I know there's been a push against thread necros. As long as the mods have no issue, I shouldn't care.  
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

You should really stop wasting your time and energy on them.  I've just always considered them throw-aways.  I'd be more apt to keep Duncan Design's or Wilkinson's.
Quote by bjgrifter
I'd have to look. I remember stuff about the color bands on resistors back when I was in college, but not so much about caps. I'm curious anyway. 
it should have a number on it 473 333 223 etc. The zakk wylde epiphone had 223 caps

Ok, ok go ahead and lock the thread i'll toss em and stop bugging people that like 'em.
Last edited by geo-rage at Mar 16, 2017,
np.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend