This is my first post here.

After reading and watching lots about the EHX Germanium OD pedal I decided I would buy one. So I got it today and at first I was a little worried that I had wasted my money, I could get lots of nice clean tones but I had difficulty getting any of the dirty tones I had heard in the demos. After messing around with it for a while I did find some dirt and I like it!

I am new to using pedals and honestly I'm not exactly sure of the "proper" way to use an overdrive pedal. Currently I have a Big Muff Pi (The big case one) and a Dunlop Wah pedal. I found that the Big Muff going into the Germanium OD Creates some pretty wild distortion, and I like it.

My first question is, is a Big Muff into a Germanium OD a conventional thing to do?

Secondly, Am I connecting everything in order? - AMP> Big Muff> Germanium> Wah> Guitar.

Third and last, How do I eliminate the buzzing noise? If I have my guitar straight into the amp on either channel there is almost no buzz or unwanted sound. If I turn a pedal on (especially Germanium OD) the buzz is almost unbearable.

Hopefully someone can understand what I've written and can help me.

Thanks.
Quote by chestersumlin
I am new to using pedals and honestly I'm not exactly sure of the "proper" way to use an overdrive pedal.

Depends what you're trying to achieve, but lots of people like to use them to boost the signal into another pedal.

Quote by chestersumlin
Currently I have a Big Muff Pi (The big case one) and a Dunlop Wah pedal. I found that the Big Muff going into the Germanium OD Creates some pretty wild distortion, and I like it.

So far so good.

Quote by chestersumlin
My first question is, is a Big Muff into a Germanium OD a conventional thing to do?

Does it matter? I don't think the Germanium OD is a very conventional overdrive

Quote by chestersumlin
Secondly, Am I connecting everything in order? - AMP> Big Muff> Germanium> Wah> Guitar.

That's more or less how I'd do it (although people tend to write the chain starting with guitar and ending with amp, since that shows the order in which the signal is processed). The Muff and OD could go either way, but if this combination works, go for it. The wah generally comes first after the guitar, as you've done it.

Quote by chestersumlin
Third and last, How do I eliminate the buzzing noise? If I have my guitar straight into the amp on either channel there is almost no buzz or unwanted sound. If I turn a pedal on (especially Germanium OD) the buzz is almost unbearable.

There are a lot of variables there, but the answer might be "you don't". What guitar are you using and what are you using to power everything?

I also suspect there might also be something specifically with the Germanium OD since I feel like I remember hearing germanium pedals sometimes have different grounding setups to other pedals, but that could be wholly wrong.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 14, 2016,
Ok Cool.

You're right, it doesn't actually matter what is considered conventional. Wasn't the whole idea of effects pedals started by trying to re-create the sound of a busted amp? Anyway thanks for your reply, I like to try and do things the "proper" way first, and experiment from there.

From the demos I watched I guess I was expecting it to be more of a fuzz pedal. I am still happy with it though, maybe even more so because this way it's more versatile, and makes the big muff sound great.

Do other overdrive pedals behave the same way? as in not so much designed to create distortion but to make the signal louder with extra control over tonal qualities?

Other than making things louder, could you say an overdrive pedal is kind of like a fine tuning for tone?
Quote by chestersumlin
Ok Cool.

You're right, it doesn't actually matter what is considered conventional. Wasn't the whole idea of effects pedals started by trying to re-create the sound of a busted amp? Anyway thanks for your reply, I like to try and do things the "proper" way first, and experiment from there.

From the demos I watched I guess I was expecting it to be more of a fuzz pedal. I am still happy with it though, maybe even more so because this way it's more versatile, and makes the big muff sound great.

Do other overdrive pedals behave the same way? as in not so much designed to create distortion but to make the signal louder with extra control over tonal qualities?

Other than making things louder, could you say an overdrive pedal is kind of like a fine tuning for tone?

OD pedals are designed to be stand alone dirt/distortion boxes to simulate a tube amp in overdrive. They just happen to also be great as a boost and that's how a lot of people use them. OD's are very versatile and can be used in a variety of ways on both SS and tube amps.
Ok. Thanks for your help guys, I think I understand Overdrive now.
At the end of the day I'm glad I bought this pedal and I'm glad it can do more than be fuzzy. A similar thing happened when I bought the Big Muff, I got it home and thought it sounded terrible. I eventually found some sounds I liked from it but for me it's use was limited. Now that I have it combined with the Germanium OD I'm finding the kind of sounds I always wanted.
With time, you may find that the Big Muff isn't enough or the right kind of fuzz for your taste. There are several kinds out there, some of which are pretty uncommon. And, like any kind of pedal, there's always somebody putting out a variant of what you have/want that does things just a little differently. That's not always going to translate into better, but many times it does.

But that "better" plays out in a variety of ways: build quality & durability; tone; ease of use; more controls; more refined controls. Etc. And even so, no pedal is perfect.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
With time, you may find that the Big Muff isn't enough or the right kind of fuzz for your taste. There are several kinds out there, some of which are pretty uncommon. And, like any kind of pedal, there's always somebody putting out a variant of what you have/want that does things just a little differently. That's not always going to translate into better, but many times it does.

But that "better" plays out in a variety of ways: build quality & durability; tone; ease of use; more controls; more refined controls. Etc.

For sure (I've been eyeing up a Way Huge Swollen Pickle to replace my Muff for a little while, but I don't think I'll make the switch in the foreseeable future), but there's also nothing wrong with combining things to achieve what you want - what works works. I have an EQ pedal set to boost things early in my signal chain so that I can get more distortion out of drive pedals (and indeed EHX has their LPB-1 which was intended for that exact purpose), and obviously lots of people run Tubescreamers into other stuff.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
And even so, no pedal is perfect.

Oh really?
Quote by chestersumlin
This is my first post here.

After reading and watching lots about the EHX Germanium OD pedal I decided I would buy one. So I got it today and at first I was a little worried that I had wasted my money, I could get lots of nice clean tones but I had difficulty getting any of the dirty tones I had heard in the demos. After messing around with it for a while I did find some dirt and I like it!

I am new to using pedals and honestly I'm not exactly sure of the "proper" way to use an overdrive pedal. Currently I have a Big Muff Pi (The big case one) and a Dunlop Wah pedal. I found that the Big Muff going into the Germanium OD Creates some pretty wild distortion, and I like it.

Hopefully someone can understand what I've written and can help me.

Thanks.
What amp and guitar are you using?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Oh really?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
kinda sounds like you confused an overdrive with a fuzz. while both are distortion producing pedals the end result isn't the same. one thing to keep in mind with germanium circuits is that the transistors are sensitive to temperature and when they heat up to much get kinda funny and inconsistent. I had a germanium fuzzface and found this to be true.
Quote by dannyalcatraz

But The Gear Page said I needed one

Quote by monwobobbo
kinda sounds like you confused an overdrive with a fuzz. while both are distortion producing pedals the end result isn't the same. one thing to keep in mind with germanium circuits is that the transistors are sensitive to temperature and when they heat up to much get kinda funny and inconsistent. I had a germanium fuzzface and found this to be true.

To be fair, the EHX Germanium OD is a kinda funky-sounding OD, and with the (rather unconventional) array of settings, can get pretty fuzz-like. See after about 3:40 in this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbdzwuKd4bM