What would be the recommended magazine to subscribe to if my main interest is classic rock like Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix etc? I like some more modern rock like the Black Keys and Jack White, but honestly don't care much for metal except for Metallica (if you consider them metal). Suggestions?
One of the best mags for reading about the classic rock bands is Classic Rock, a UK publication.
http://teamrock.com/classic-rock

The same company also has a similar magazine devoted to Prog.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Vintage Guitar. Hands down. http://www.vintageguitar.com/

More than *just* vintage gear, they also cover new gear and vintage rockers <G>.
GREAT shots of guitars that some of these guys have played for years, or that have in their collections, etc., and along the way some great interviews, great suggestions for new (and old) albums, etc., etc. And a ton of ads for used guitar places you've never heard of and much more. In this case, the ads are worth nearly as much as the content...
I like VG for the gear stuff- I was almost going to recommend it, but CR has more on the bands themselves, IME. VG is my #2.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 14, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I like VG for the gear stuff- I was almost going to recommend it, but CR has more on the bands themselves, IME. VG is my #2.

Did you just call VG "#2?"!!!

#2 like unicorn poo, BOYEEEEE!

It's a great mag, but CR is all over it, IMHO. I don't remember if they still do it, but CR and PR both included sampler CDs with each issue.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 14, 2016,
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into each of them.

Also, I'm basically a beginner/intermediate guitar player still trying to figure things out. With this info would one be better than the other?
VG, as I recall, occasionally publishes some stuff about techniques used by classic rock guitarists, CG rarely does. But you're going to find more of that stuff in mags like Guitar Player. Ditto actual sheet music.