Hi, been playing drums for about 12 years now and wanted to start getting into guitar. I plan on spending $2000 total between a guitar, amp head, and a cab and I cannot for the life of me decide what brand is best for me.

My favorite guitar tone ever is from the album Lost in the Sound of Separation by a band called Underoath. After researching Underoath's gear it seems that they have gone through plenty of different brands throughout the years as many artists do. A good song that highlights what I love about their punchy, violent tone is "Anyone can dig a hole but it takes a real man to call it home".

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated and if you'd like to know anything more from me to give you a better picture of what I'm looking for then just ask.

thank you!
Where in the world are you located? Used or New gear? You can stretch that cash a lot farther if you are willing to buy used. Will you be bedroom jamming or do you intend to gig at some point? Do you have neighbors on the other side of the wall or some space to get away with having louder equipment?

Fill us in with the details and we can help you out a bit more.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I live near Philadelphia, PA. I don't mind buying used and I don't have to worry about being too loud. I plan on joining or starting a band and playing out as much as possible.
With a 2k budget, I'd suggest looking into snagging up a used Gibson SG special (can be found in the 500-700 used range).

As for amps, if you want to go bit big, a used Marshall 1960a cab (can be found in the 300-400 range), and you'll probably want an amp that can pull off a JCM 800 vibe. JCM 800 head itself would chew up your total budget, so that probably isn't in the cards. You might be able to find a Sovtek MIG 100, MIG 60, or MIG 50H in your budget. Peavey VTM also comes to mind. Laney AOR is another solid option. The Peavey Windsor (which can be found dirt cheap) was supposed to get the feel of a Plexi/JCM 800. With some modding it can become a pretty beastly amp - or so I've heard.

If you want to go a bit smaller, you might be able to find a JCM 800 combo amp and stay within your budget. Of course, there are variations of the JCM 800, so you may want to do a little research on the distinctions between the years. And, there is of course a tonal difference between a 4x12 half stack and an open back combo amp that you'll have to consider as well.

I'm sure others will chime in and provide further recommendations and suggestions.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
thunder punk has it covered.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
thanks a lot for the responses! a friend of mine says he thinks that a telecaster is responsible for that punchy gritty tone, do you think that could be?
It's not a telecaster. Those are definitely humbuckers. I don't know how I feel about the JCM800 suggestion. The good JCM800s are single-channel amps and that amount of gain is definitely outside of what a JCM800 is capable of on its own. Underoath likes to switch from dirty to clean so having your amp setup to be capable of that of those dirty tones would limit what you can do for the lighter stuff. One of my first priorities would be at least a 2-channel amp. If I was in your position, I would get a EVH 5150 1x12 combo. You'll be able to get clean, crunch, and lead tones which Underoath likes to switch between during one song. In terms of guitars, anything with humbuckers will probably be just fine considering how much gain they use. I would just get the guitar that's the most comfortable for you. I would just stay away from actives.
JCM 800 type circuits can get plenty heavy with a boost up front and lower tuning. Speakers also make a difference, but that is a different topic for another time.

If my 6505 ever went down, I'd have no problem switching over to my MIG 100 with a bad monkey up front. As far as cleaning up goes, while it isn't pristine Fender clean, rolling back on the guitar volume knob is one way to get it done.