Hey guys, wow, firstly... I joined here when I was 14 years old and haven't visited the site since I was 16, I'm now 23... oh how things have changed since haha!

Anyway, not sure if I'm using the correct terminology on anything but...

I'm in the midst of creating my first fully custom guitar (exciting stuff!) and just wondered if its possible to swap a Duncan HB thats being used with coil tapping on a 5-way blade for a DiMarzio 70's Super Distortion???

DiMarzio pup just has a braided cable and inside one black wire and one white wire. The Duncan has 4 wires obviously (red, white, green and black).

Really just wondering if its possible to do this kind of swap? What impact would it have? Would it have a 'dead' position on the pup selector; as in will there be a selection where neither pickups are selected? Would I need to swap the 5-Blade switch to a 3?

I'm relatively new to wiring but any help would be appreciated! Oh, and hello all once again!
Last edited by Muzzer10 at May 14, 2016,
Quote by Muzzer10
Hey guys, wow, firstly... I joined here when I was 14 years old and haven't visited the site since I was 16, I'm now 23... oh how things have changed since haha!

Much less cleavage.

Quote by Muzzer10

I'm in the midst of creating my first fully custom guitar (exciting stuff!) and just wondered if its possible to swap a Duncan HB thats being used with coil tapping on a 5-way blade for a DiMarzio 70's Super Distortion???

DiMarzio pup just has a braided cable and inside one black wire and one white wire. The Duncan has 4 wires obviously (red, white, green and black).

Really just wondering if its possible to do this kind of swap? What impact would it have? Would it have a 'dead' position on the pup selector; as in will there be a selection where neither pickups are selected? Would I need to swap the 5-Blade switch to a 3?

Are you modifying an existing guitar or actually creating a fully custom guitar?

No problem swapping out the pickups, but if the five-way were wired for a single-coil sound out of one of the pickups, you'll want to rewire it for something else.

Why are you using a two-wire pickup when the DP100's come with four conductors?
Quote by dspellman
Much less cleavage.

Are you modifying an existing guitar or actually creating a fully custom guitar?

No problem swapping out the pickups, but if the five-way were wired for a single-coil sound out of one of the pickups, you'll want to rewire it for something else.

Why are you using a two-wire pickup when the DP100's come with four conductors?

Hahaha agreed!

But yes I'm modifying an existing guitar, this is a really early DP100 they only came with two wires, later on they introduced the 4. I just love the sound of it don't want any coil tapping, so are you saying I would have to rewire the whole thing onto a 3-way blade/toggle?

Many thanks for your help!
You would have to add the 2 extra wires (to make it 4 conductor), which is delicate work. There are tutorials online to do it, and I am sure there are techs willing to do that kind of work.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
You would have to add the 2 extra wires (to make it 4 conductor), which is delicate work. There are tutorials online to do it, and I am sure there are techs willing to do that kind of work.

Found a really nice video on youtube of doing it, seems fairly straight forward, finicky, but straight forward. Consists of taking the tape off the pickup, cutting the wires, cutting the wire between the two coils (which will become your coil tapping wires), then just using 4 conductor wire and soldering the respective wires to the correct wire on the pick up (just a matter of noting what colour wire is which with the new configuration) and obviously not forgetting to solder the ground the the base-plate of the pup, then re-tape.

Seems my best bet, cause then its just a straight swap and not having to lose the switch etc.

Cheers for the help though guys
Last edited by Muzzer10 at May 16, 2016,
A few years ago I actually made a tutorial for pickup surgery.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144316

I used to do this for UGers back in the day. It's really easy but extremely delicate. Good luck, man.
That is a great guide. Just take your time and I am sure it will be fine.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Couple of questions if any of you guys can answer, if I use a USB cable that has no extra ground to rewire a pickup, can I just add a single wire from the baseplate to the volume pot??? What affect would this have? The fact that the USB cable is not a braided cable, would this mean more noise?

Thanks!
Ad
The braid acts as a shield, so yeah, more noise. You can use a separate wire to ground the baseplate, but it will have no shielding effect.

Some USB cables have no braided shield, but will have a foil shield with a bare wire (which is called the drain wire) which is electrically connected to the foil; this serves the same purpose as a braided shield.

Some cables even have all three (a braid, foil, and drain wire). In that case you can just use the drain wire rather than wrestle with the braid.