Hello,

I'm an old guy/former player looking to get back into guitar. My last electric was a Lake Placid Blue, pre-CBS Fender Jaguar bought used from my friend's grandfather back in the day. I foolishly sold that guitar after the birth of my daughter 25 years ago.

Anyway, I want another Jag and am trying to decide between a Squier Vintage Modified ($399 list) and a Fender Classic Player ($799). I figure neither of these guitars will match up to the vintage Jag, but I just want the guitar for noodling around/playing by myself. Curious if y'all think the Fender is worth twice the price of the Squier. Thanks!
try finding the Fender used as it will be a better buy. not sure off the top of my head if the Squier is correct control or trem wise. just my opinion but having the body shape without the proper pickups and control scheme doesn't cut it and negates the point of having one.
Quote by jdestef2001
I foolishly sold that guitar after the birth of my daughter 25 years ago.

My heart bleeds for you

Quote by jdestef2001
Anyway, I want another Jag and am trying to decide between a Squier Vintage Modified ($399 list) and a Fender Classic Player ($799). I figure neither of these guitars will match up to the vintage Jag, but I just want the guitar for noodling around/playing by myself. Curious if y'all think the Fender is worth twice the price of the Squier. Thanks!

As far as I'm concerned, Classic Player, all day every day. For a Strat or a Tele, the VM and Classic Vibe Squiers are excellent value for money. For a Jag, my experience of the VM was nice enough hardware but endless tuning issues which some pretty costly mods didn't fully resolve. The Classic Player has a fixed (Tune-O-Matic-style) bridge, unlike the originals, which is more stable tuning-wise, which is a big plus since the only easy swaps for the Squier are the Mustang bridge (solves issues with the saddles, which on the Squier have much smaller string grooves than the Fender originals, but doesn't address tuning problems) or the Mastery (comfortably halves the amount you saved by buying the Squier instead of the Fender).

The neck on the Fender is also constructed in the '60s style, which is a predominantly aesthetic concern, but is something that's pretty costly to change if you care about it. I don't mind skunk stripes but I find the headstock truss rod adjustments rather ugly.

The body wood of the Fender is alder, rather than the Squier's basswood. May be that you care about that, may be that you don't

The Fender also has the locking slider on the tremolo which, if you set it up right, can be very useful indeed to avoid losing your tuning when a string breaks.

Not going to comment on construction quality, since people tend to have wildly differing opinions on that based on "this one time". Playing guitars in person is the only way to be sure, though Fender and Squier have both, in my experience, been eminently consistent once you get past absolute beginner price points.

Quote by monwobobbo
try finding the Fender used as it will be a better buy. not sure off the top of my head if the Squier is correct control or trem wise. just my opinion but having the body shape without the proper pickups and control scheme doesn't cut it and negates the point of having one.

The Squier's controls are correct, yes. Tremolo assembly is the same but without the locking slider.

Going used is always a good way to save money.

And if you ever feel like splashing out but can't afford an actual vintage Jag, there's always the American Vintage Reissue, which gives you about as close to the real deal as you could hope for, mute and all.
Fender, there is a reason the list price is double, better ingredients!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

with squier vintage modified and classic vibe available i really dont see a point to buy a standard mim fender.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Having owned both, the CP is a better quality instrument, though a couple of points on parts they've changed to make the guitar more "modern": the trem is closer to the bridge with a TOM bridge instead of the standard Jag bridge, the pickups are hot (though they are a bit hot on the Squier as well). I wouldn't buy either new (if you can help it), and I'd recommend getting a proper setup on either when you purchase, unless you're confident to do it yourself.

That said, it's also worth scoping Reverb or eBay for a used MIJ Jaguar. I've still got my CP and a Thinline MIJ Jag (as well as a MIJ Jag HH). The Thinline is a really solid guitar, though I did upgrade the bridge to a Staytrem and replaced the pickups with some hand wounds to my specifications. The MIJ pickups don't tend to be wax potted, so they get microphonic with any decent amount of overdrive/fuzz.
OffsetOffset
Thanks everyone who responded. I've decided to go with the Fender. Appreciate the input!
Quote by jdestef2001
Thanks everyone who responded. I've decided to go with the Fender. Appreciate the input!

Congrats, enjoy it