Hey guys, I've just started out playing guitar and am looking to get a good acoustic/electro-acoustic with a cutaway and price range of £200/$300. I've visited a couple of stores and have so far been recommended to get the Fender CF-60CE and was wondering what anyone thinks of it, or maybe any other recommendations?

Have also been looking at the slightly more expensive Sigma 000MC-1STE and the Fender CF-140SCE.

Thanks!
Last edited by tau07 at May 16, 2016,
Well, both of those Fenders are all laminate construction. They also have a new "mahogany" version, which is also, all laminate.

The Epiphone EJ-200-SCE is a nice, nice guitar. But, are you sure you're ready for it? It's a beast, the biggest acoustic body size on the market.

So, it has a solid top, a big plus. The body, neck, and head stock are fully bound, more big pluses. The construction is first rate, it has a cutaway, and the stereo electronics sound great. (Stereo pickups off the potential of different effects in different channels of the same amp, or piping the outputs to different amps). You could even dial some crunch into one channel, and the other clean.

Big maple jumbos have their own sound. Guild's 12 strings were legendary, and also had laminated, molded maple backs. (That's to nip the argument that, "you can't hear the tone of the wood if it's laminated", in the bud).

So, my opinion might be a bit biased as I owned one of the Guild 12 strings, and now own 2 of the EJ-200-SCE (I bought one each of he 2 finishes Epiphone offered in a limited edition left hand run).

OK, Fender has a number of popular models, the Tim Armstrong "Hellcat", and I believe the CD160 (it has a solid mahogany top), plus a couple of others like the CD-100 (?) which is a solid spruce top. However, (IMHO), I don't think Fender offers as much value per dollar, as the EJ-200.

Moving on, Sigma has an excellent reputation, as does "Recording King", another brand you might check out.
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, both of those Fenders are all laminate construction. They also have a new "mahogany" version, which is also, all laminate.

The Epiphone EJ-200-SCE is a nice, nice guitar. But, are you sure you're ready for it? It's a beast, the biggest acoustic body size on the market.

So, it has a solid top, a big plus. The body, neck, and head stock are fully bound, more big pluses. The construction is first rate, it has a cutaway, and the stereo electronics sound great. (Stereo pickups off the potential of different effects in different channels of the same amp, or piping the outputs to different amps). You could even dial some crunch into one channel, and the other clean.

Big maple jumbos have their own sound. Guild's 12 strings were legendary, and also had laminated, molded maple backs. (That's to nip the argument that, "you can't hear the tone of the wood if it's laminated", in the bud).

So, my opinion might be a bit biased as I owned one of the Guild 12 strings, and now own 2 of the EJ-200-SCE (I bought one each of he 2 finishes Epiphone offered in a limited edition left hand run).

OK, Fender has a number of popular models, the Tim Armstrong "Hellcat", and I believe the CD160 (it has a solid mahogany top), plus a couple of others like the CD-100 (?) which is a solid spruce top. However, (IMHO), I don't think Fender offers as much value per dollar, as the EJ-200.

Moving on, Sigma has an excellent reputation, as does "Recording King", another brand you might check out.

Sorry, I didn't mean the EJ-200 but the AJ-220SCE!

As for the Fender, would you say it's maybe worth a couple extra bucks to get the 140SCE with the spruce top?

I'm considering the Sigma as well since it's almost $100 cheaper than what it is originally because it's a shop floor model, but ultimately it would come around to the same price as the Fender 140SCE.

I've also come across the Cort Jade 1 but of course that's purely an acoustic and is open pore, which I'm not sure whether yields that much of a difference.
Last edited by tau07 at May 15, 2016,
I have a Yamaha Fg700. I would highly recommend for a beginner. It costs about $200, it has a great sound and is very reliable. It is a straight acoustic guitar and doesn't come with a pickup. I recently installed the K&K pure mini (costs $100) on to it and the guitar sounds amazing through a PA system even without a preamp.
I too would be looking at Yamaha, even the cheap all-laminate ones. They get good reviews, and the couple I've played recently, one of which was a cheap 310, very very good.

The fenders I've tried have been OK, but pretty much run-of-the-mill for Chinese-made acoustics. I think that their name attracts a lot of folks, unjustifiably in terms of performance or construction.
Having a variable finger is a pain.

Just a bit of gratuitous promo. These are some of mine, currently residing in the man cave:

The cork rings can be moved to accommodate different finger sizes, within limits. I also use the brass one on lap steel, I've found it easier than those skinny bars.
Quote by Tony Done
Having a variable finger is a pain.

Just a bit of gratuitous promo. These are some of mine, currently residing in the man cave:

The cork rings can be moved to accommodate different finger sizes, within limits. I also use the brass one on lap steel, I've found it easier than those skinny bars.
?Amigo mio, did you publish this in the wrong thread?
Quote by tau07
Sorry, I didn't mean the EJ-200 but the AJ-220SCE!

As for the Fender, would you say it's maybe worth a couple extra bucks to get the 140SCE with the spruce top?

I'm considering the Sigma as well since it's almost $100 cheaper than what it is originally because it's a shop floor model, but ultimately it would come around to the same price as the Fender 140SCE.

I've also come across the Cort Jade 1 but of course that's purely an acoustic and is open pore, which I'm not sure whether yields that much of a difference.
As tony says, the Fenders are fairly ordinary, and you do, "pay for the name on the head stock", albeit not as severely as you would were it made in the USA.

The Yamaha which everybody is pushing also comes in an electric acoustic model, "FGX-700" (IIRC). That has the cutaway. That would fill your needs. Never saw, never heard that Sigma, so I can't speak to it. Sorry.
My advice: visit a good music store (or 2 or 3 good music store) and play as many guitars as you can within your budget. But the one you like best.
Quote by Garthman
My advice: visit a good music store (or 2 or 3 good music store) and play as many guitars as you can within your budget. But the one you like best.

I would but Sigmas are quite hard to come by over here! So if I get that one it'll be online as opposed to the Fender models which they have in store, which is why I was looking to see if anyone had any advice maybe between either!