Forgive my ignorance, I am a noob (working on my bucketlist), that has been learning to play on an acoustic for about six months. I recently got a used Squier Std. Strat with stock pups I assume, but I am looking for some decent practice combo amp suggestions, or better yet, any I should run the other way from. I live in rural upper Mid-west so mail-order and retail are options. I just want to play reggae, ska, ska-punk, and some alternative rock. I would appreciate ANY help. Due to financial limitations (MY WIFE) I can only spend about $50-75. Its just going to be a hobby for now.
Last edited by pthreet at May 15, 2016,
At that price, your best bet is to find some kind of used portable digital modeling device, such as a Line6 POD, Korg Pandora, Boss Micro BR, or the like. There are also some app/devices that work with mobile devices like smartphones and tablets.

Regardless of type, you'll have to use some headphones. Don't use earbuds.

Check eBay, Reverb.com, and if you're game, sites like Craigslist.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 15, 2016,
Thanks Dannyalcatraz, also is there any brand of used amp I should run from?
Well, cheap amps are always risky. Pignose has a long standing rep as a decent low-cost amp though.

But things like small Marshalls, Oranges, Line 6 etc. in that kind of price range? You're paying for the name, not quality. I have a tiny Barry powered Orange that is about the size of a stack of CDs. I use that for goofing around making funny voices with friends on game night, not making music.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

the only sub$70 amp i would consider would be a vox pathfinder 15r, and i woudn't pay more than $35 for it either. it would do well for reggae/ska type stuff. i don't remember how the OD on it is though.

run away from line 6 spiders, marshall MG's.

the best thing to do (IMO) would be to pickup a used vox valvetronix, but you are probably going to have to spend closer to $100. i think it would be worth it, but yet again that is just me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Used Fender Mustang modeling amp. If you have to up the budget it's because "this amps makes so many sounds you won't have to buy another one anytime soon. It has pedals built in too!"

Check out the software on your computer.

Look it up and start selling it to the wife!

If you don't have to have an actual amp check out amp simulations on the computer. I use Peavey ReValver - very easy to use - and works as a stand alone program. The free ValveKing sim will get most of the tones you're after. Just pick up an inexpensive guitar to USB interface ($30) and then some nice monitor speakers or headphones.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Used Fender Mustang modeling amp. If you have to up the budget it's because "this amps makes so many sounds you won't have to buy another one anytime soon. It has pedals built in too!"

Check out the software on your computer.

Look it up and start selling it to the wife!

If you don't have to have an actual amp check out amp simulations on the computer. I use Peavey ReValver - very easy to use - and works as a stand alone program. The free ValveKing sim will get most of the tones you're after. Just pick up an inexpensive guitar to USB interface ($30) and then some nice monitor speakers or headphones.

Thanks for the suggestions Metalmingee did not even consider that. Out of curiosity would you consider the Fender Champion amp better, worse, or equal to the Mustang? Again, forgive my ignorance.
I'd say explain to your FINANCIAL LIMITATION that in order to get quality you'll have to spend a little more...resale value is also more, as long as you don't buy digital modeling amp.

Maybe look into an used Valvestate or Epi Valve Jr...geez for that $ I don't know what to say...

Maybe one of these:
https://reverb.com/item/2048281-dean-markley-k-65-amplifier-excellent-condition
https://reverb.com/item/2209443-traynor-ts-10-vintage-guitar-combo-amplifier

I'd go for these (I have the VS10 and it is surprisingly good for what it is):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Valvestate-VS15-Guitar-Amp-/262305751779?hash=item3d12a422e3:g:a9EAAOSwG-1WzjqM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Valvestate-10-8010-Guitar-Amplifier-VS-10-Tube-emulation-technology-/191652736500?hash=item2c9f64adf4:g:pPUAAOSweW5VOq17
Quote by pthreet
Thanks for the suggestions Metalmingee did not even consider that. Out of curiosity would you consider the Fender Champion amp better, worse, or equal to the Mustang? Again, forgive my ignorance.

I don't have any hands on experience with either amp but for what you want it seems like a good fit.

Modelers are cool in the beginning - they give you a very wide range of tones for little cash. The software interface is supposed to give you more options and visual representation of a rig.

You may outgrow it or it may work just fine for what you want. There are tons of places to spend money on guitar gear. . . . Lessons should be at the top of the list. I've learned this the hard way.

I play heavier music most of the time and my amps went (at least this iteration of things) Peavey Vypyr modelling amp to a Peavey 5150 and then to a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster when I wanted more versatility but the Mesa is way out of budget.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the only sub$70 amp i would consider would be a vox pathfinder 15r, and i woudn't pay more than $35 for it either. it would do well for reggae/ska type stuff. i don't remember how the OD on it is though.

run away from line 6 spiders, marshall MG's.

the best thing to do (IMO) would be to pickup a used vox valvetronix, but you are probably going to have to spend closer to $100. i think it would be worth it, but yet again that is just me.

I'm not even sure if you can find the Pathfinder 15r for that cheap anymore since they are discontinued.
Where are you located?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Where are you located?

Was that directed at me or the OP?
Quote by dombar335
I'm not even sure if you can find the Pathfinder 15r for that cheap anymore since they are discontinued.

bummer. they are awesome little amps. it makes sense that they got pushed out of the picture with valvetronix stuff got more popular.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Buy a second hand Roland Micro Cube. They're fantastic - simple to use, sounds great, has a bunch of built-in fx that are accessible with the twist of a knob, and it has a built in battery for portability. I use one for practicing at home all the time. Avoid older practice amps, they sound terrible compared to the small digital amps made today and they are not versatile.
Quote by reverb66
Buy a second hand Roland Micro Cube. They're fantastic - simple to use, sounds great, has a bunch of built-in fx that are accessible with the twist of a knob, and it has a built in battery for portability. I use one for practicing at home all the time. Avoid older practice amps, they sound terrible compared to the small digital amps made today and they are not versatile.

^^^ This exactly. It is a great little practice amp that you can take anywhere and sounds pretty good. $60 used.

Several years ago I was having my ******* remodeled by a contractor I had known for a long time. I was out in the studio warming up for a gig that night jamming through the Micro with the door open. Guy stops what he is doing and just walks in and stares. He says:

"Man I always knew you played guitar but I had no idea you could play like THAT! Awesome!"

Thanks Micro Cube.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Well...I might have to track one down if they make YOU sound good.