just a protip, solo bass with harmonics like that is about as cliche and cringy as pinch harmonics and whammy squeals are in guitar solos (to people who have heard solo bass more than once)
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
You're treating it like it's just a low tuned guitar.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

And?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by theogonia777

i wouldn't say that. it's just a very narrow interpretation of what bass is capable of. we have chords and high notes aside from plucked harmonics :<
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i wouldn't say that. it's just a very narrow interpretation of what bass is capable of. we have chords and high notes aside from plucked harmonics :<

Consider that he's written to have only owned a bass for 2 weeks. Its silly to expect him to know more than just a couple of simple techniques. Perhaps giving him feedback in the context of his level of experience would be more productive, no?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 17, 2016,
I think the problem here is your timing. It doesn't have a clear sense of pulse. The time signature changes a lot but it doesn't feel like it changes naturally. And it doidn't feel like you were playing with a strong "rubato feel" or used fermatas or anything like that either.

Did you think of a certain pulse when you were playing or were you just playing notes?

It does also feel a bit like you were just noodling around. Though it was good that you repeated the two main "themes" in the end. But you may want to think about the form of the piece a bit. I think you want to avoid the "noodling around" feeling.

Yes, the bass harmonics thing is kind of a cliche, but at least that was a pretty nice theme and I think that and the second theme (the part that comes after the harmonic part) were the best parts of the piece. But then it kind of falls apart a bit.

I think it has potential. The themes are fine. But the middle section feels a bit pointless to me. Like it's not going anywhere and it doesn't really have much function in the context of the piece. And also, having a sense of pulse when you are playing is important. Of course it doesn't need to be in 4/4 all the time but that's not what I'm even talking about.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Consider that he's written to have only owned a bass for 2 weeks. Its silly to expect him to know more than just a couple of simple techniques. Perhaps giving him feedback in the context of his level of experience would be more productive, no?

gotta learn to walk before you can run. it's kind of important to learn bass as a foundational instrument before you worry about sick solos. there's a whole generation of kids learning how to solo like yngwie before they can write an interesting rhythm lick and people are wondering why guitar music is a thing of the past
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I appreciate feedback that makes me stretch, rather than feedback that makes allowances for my deficiencies. When I first started banging on bass, my first feedback was something like, "Hold it. Hold it. Now look..." after about 10 seconds of "playing." Lately, I've moved to, "Well, you still suck pretty bad, but..." which is a giant step for me, but leaves me way behind where I want to end up.
Quote by Hail
gotta learn to walk before you can run. it's kind of important to learn bass as a foundational instrument before you worry about sick solos.

That's a little better.
Quote by dspellman
I appreciate feedback that makes me stretch, rather than feedback that makes allowances for my deficiencies. When I first started banging on bass, my first feedback was something like, "Hold it. Hold it. Now look..." after about 10 seconds of "playing." Lately, I've moved to, "Well, you still suck pretty bad, but..." which is a giant step for me, but leaves me way behind where I want to end up.

Oh I agree that feedback needs to recommend improvements that challenge the player, but it can't be too frustrating either. A balance needs to be struck.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by chainsaw54
Thanks for the comments. Your right I should probs avoid those cliches.

Don't. If you have something to say and that's how you want to say it, do it.

Your playing wasn't too bad, btw. Not fantastic, but it isn't your main instrument, as you've alluded to.