Hey all,

The thread title pretty much sums this one up! Long story short, I own a Squier Vintage Modifed 5-string J-bass. It's a damn solid bass for the money, but I'm thinking of trading it for a 4-string bass of some sort. I originally bought it, along w/a 7-string guitar for a project that never really got off the ground, and I have since sold the 7 string, so I don't really feel the need to own a 5-string bass anymore - That, and I find a 4-string bass much more comfortable to play on overall.

Overall, I love Fender/Fender-style basses, and have thought about just going for a 4-string J-bass of some sort (Either VM Squier or MIM Fender), or posssibly switching it up, and going with a T-bird (Or even something w/a humbucker) for some thicker tones, since I play a lot of hard rock/metal (From classic 70's/80's stuff, up to melodic death metal). I'm mainly wondering how the build quality of the Epiphone compares to that of a VM-series Squier/MIM Fender?

Ideally, I would simply own 2 basses, but due to space limitations (small apartment), I must stick with one bass only for the time being. Bear in mind, I mainly use my bass for recording (i.e - no live use). I'm open to other suggestions on what to check out as well - Looking to keep it budget friendly (something that can be had for $300-$400 USD (give or take a little) second hand.

Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I cant speak for Epiphone but I would buy a VM squier in a heartbeat. My friend just bought an MIJ Jaguar and he still uses his upgraded VM jag more because it sounds better. And if you want thicker tones just get a PJ configuration instead of a vm jazz or vm p
Last edited by matt-attack at May 15, 2016,
Quote by matt-attack
I cant speak for Epiphone but I would buy a VM squier in a heartbeat. My friend just bought an MIJ Jaguar and he still uses his upgraded VM jag more because it sounds better. And if you want thicker tones just get a PJ configuration instead of a vm jazz or vm p
I certainly wouldn't mind going with a 4-string VM-series bass, if the others are as nice as the 5-string J bass I have.

I've considered going the P-bass route as well, but if it makes sense, I'm not sure if I'm after something quite as "punchy" . To my ears, nothing slices through a mix quite like a P-bass can (It can downright stick out like a sore thumb!), but I still desire a certain element of smoothness to my tone. That's what I like about the J-bass sound - It cuts through a mix well, but has a bit more smoothness to it. I'm looking for those elements, but a bit more fullness to the sound.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
There's no contest. I've never played an Epiphone bass that came close to being as good as a Squier VM.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Another vote for the Squier VM PJ Bass!
I'm really loving the versatility of mine (by that, I mean I use two settings - either both on full or just the P pickup) but I've never found it too OTT. Maybe it's my particular setup, but I'd say that it'd be a great choice.
I can post some samples if you'd like, but I don't want to just threadjack outright
Only get a Thunderbird if you specifically want a Thunderbid. If there's a shred of doubt in your mind then go for a Squier.

I highly recommend saving up a little extra and going for a Classic Vibe series instead.
Tbirds aren't very comfortable to play. The weight is all wrong and the neck will crash to the floor if you let go of it. I find my let arm aches after about 30 mins playing because you are supporting the neck as well as fretting. That's with a Gibson too, the Epi's are much heavier. If you did go or the Tbird then avoid the cheap ones with the bolt on necks. They don't have the good pickups on them.

Having said that I love the sound and look of a Tbird but it's probably not a choice for your only bass. I'd go for the VM.
i got the chris aiken absolutely love it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A