My music is very indie/folk style. I've been looking into Gretsch resonators and will probably purchase the G9220 Bobtail. I want to go through every option before purchasing the Gretsch. I really enjoyed playing that guitar, but like I said, I want to go through every option. I don't want anything higher than $1000.

Thank you in advance.
80% of the famous folk players over the years played martins. are you willing to go used? if so, you can get a lot more guitar for your money, maybe a martin 16 series.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
80% of the famous folk players over the years played martins. are you willing to go used? if so, you can get a lot more guitar for your money, maybe a martin 16 series.

I have two Martins. One is my brother's and is impeccable. I also have a Little Martin (LXM). I use the big Martin much more than the little and both are hand-me-downs.

xx
Do you have any particular reason for wanting a dobro-style reso? They have their strong points, but aren't what I would call a general-purpose guitar. There main strength is loud, particularly in the high registers, but the bass is often comparatively weak. In resos, I think that the tricones are the most versatile, and another interesting option is something like a parlor-sized biscuit (national) style.
Quote by Tony Done
Do you have any particular reason for wanting a dobro-style reso? They have their strong points, but aren't what I would call a general-purpose guitar. There main strength is loud, particularly in the high registers, but the bass is often comparatively weak. In resos, I think that the tricones are the most versatile, and another interesting option is something like a parlor-sized biscuit (national) style.

I want something with a very different feel and sound. It gives a little more emphasis to my music and I think would fit nice with my voice. Many could use it as their main guitar, for example, Johnny Flynn or the majority of Bon Iver's 'For Emma...' album. Like I said... something different. I also do lots of fingerpicking.

I have played the G9200 Boxcar (round neck) before and enjoyed it immensely. I am fully aware that some people would consider that experience of mine an automatic BUY!! however, I'm the kind of person that wants to look through every option before making a decision.

Thanks
Last edited by graceukulele28 at May 16, 2016,
That makes sense, and I think your cautious approach is good.

If you get the chance, try the equivalent biscuit (national-style) version:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/gretsch-guitars-g9240-alligator-biscuit-round-neck-resonator?pfm=sp

I have a Republic Miniolian parlor reso, that sounds very good, but I would recommend it because of structural issues. - The soundwell started falling about.

As a rough generalisation, inexpensive metal resos are likely to be a better bet than wood bodied ones. The latter seem to have improved over the past few years, but there is more chance of getting a clunker with a wood body, and more opportunities for structural problems.

I would take a chance on something like this, even though my wood body had problems:

http://republicguitars.com/tri-cone-guitars/clarksdale-special-style-222-steel
Quote by Tony Done
That makes sense, and I think your cautious approach is good.

If you get the chance, try the equivalent biscuit (national-style) version:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/gretsch-guitars-g9240-alligator-biscuit-round-neck-resonator?pfm=sp

I have a Republic Miniolian parlor reso, that sounds very good, but I would recommend it because of structural issues. - The soundwell started falling about.

As a rough generalisation, inexpensive metal resos are likely to be a better bet than wood bodied ones. The latter seem to have improved over the past few years, but there is more chance of getting a clunker with a wood body, and more opportunities for structural problems.

I would take a chance on something like this, even though my wood body had problems:

http://republicguitars.com/tri-cone-guitars/clarksdale-special-style-222-steel

Thank you!! What would you say the differences are in sound (or anything) between the G9220 and the G9240?

EDIT: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gretsch-roots-collection-g9220-bobtail-round-neck-ae-574850

under the 'sounds' section.

EDIT 2: AW I should have looked at the Alligator longer because it seems as though this one doesn't plug in. I'm looking for something that does, which is why I'm sure on the G9220 for a resonator. I'm open to other folk guitars as well though.
Last edited by graceukulele28 at May 16, 2016,
Biscuit style cones have a punchier less nasal sound than spider (dobro) cones, more associated with blues, while spider cones are more often associated with country and bluegrass.

It is a pity that the Alligator doesn't seem to come in an AE version. Fitting a pickup isn't a big DIY job, but you have to be geared up for it. I prefer magnetics to piezos in both flattops and resos, and have installed them in four resos. You can get biscuit style resos with magnetics installed, for example:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/dean-ce-cutaway-acoustic-electric-resonator-guitar

We also have Martinez here in Oz.

There is a lot more choice in AE resos with spider cones.
Quote by haggard191

What's your personal opinion on the Dean vs the Hofner vs Gretsch G9220?

Also, would you consider the resonator a folk/indie guitar that I could really make my own? Goal is to add emphasis to my music and I think this'll do the trick.

x
Quote by Tony Done
Are you thinking in terms of its acoustic sound, or as part of a recording? As an acoustic, I think you might soon tire of it unless you play slide. But it takes all sorts, as they say.

Both... everything. Recording, venues, writing, picking, strumming, amplified, a bit of slide. The whole 9 yards. I do all of these things with a standard acoustic as well as an acoustic-electric, but (like I've said) the resonator would add so much more to my own music and aura... if that makes sense. (:
Last edited by graceukulele28 at May 18, 2016,