I'm buying my first good guitar that I plan on having for a long time. I'm planning on picking up an ibanez prestige sz2020 for 400. Is this a good deal and guitar? I had trouble finding anything on them other than it was only a 1 year run. Before I saw this I was thinking about either a guild s100 or a gibson sg. I'm mostly into grunge rock and blues but also like to play 70s and 90s rock. Any info is appreciated!
Yes and yes. Not a crazy, do it no matter what deal, but a pretty good deal on a pretty good guitar.
Quote by ezschna801
I'm buying my first good guitar that I plan on having for a long time. I'm planning on picking up an ibanez prestige sz2020 for 400. Is this a good deal and guitar? I had trouble finding anything on them other than it was only a 1 year run. Before I saw this I was thinking about either a guild s100 or a gibson sg. I'm mostly into grunge rock and blues but also like to play 70s and 90s rock. Any info is appreciated!

Is there anything wrong with it? the Z2020's I have seen and see now have typically sold for about $700 used.
Quote by CReeves76
Is there anything wrong with it? the Z2020's I have seen and see now have typically sold for about $700 used.

Make sure to check this. Make sure there is no damage that would affect the playing of the guitar. If it has stuff like scuffs and scratches that's up to you.

It might also just be someone trying to unload it fast for money, so you might just have a good deal. Make sure to see it or pictures first though before buying.
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
If it's in good condition and there are no major issues, yeah that's a definite 'pull the trigger' deal for sure. Get your hands on it first, as ALWAYS with used gear, and look for frets rising up, uneven frets, cracks/splits in the fretboard, damaged hardware, major scratches/dents/dings although depending on location these can be purely cosmetic and have zero effect on playability. Make sure the neck is straight - eg. there's the same amount of space between both E strings and the sides of the fretboard. Check to make sure the neck sits snug in the pocket. Pots, knobs, pickups, tuners can all be replaced easily and for a relatively low price, so they're not necessarily deal breakers. Also bear in mind that, unless the seller has already done it, a guitar that's as old as this one is probably going to need to have the nut replaced.

Assuming it's in good shape, I'd buy it.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Thanks for all the replys. Definitely much needed information. I had no idea what to look for with things that could be potentially wrong with it. It's was scratched up on the back a little bit but looked cosmetic, the seller said it was fron a strap. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for the other variable mentioned that could affect it. I had him send me the serial number and I looked it up and it was made in Korea in 2005 so I'm pretty sure it'd actually a 2020.
Looks okay from the pics if you don't care about the chips/dings on the back flank. Neck/bridge alignment looks good, but that's about all you can tell from the pics. You're not breaking the bank at 400 bucks, but it's still enough money that I wouldn't buy it unless I put my hands on it and played it first.

Good luck man, and hopefully it's as good a deal as it seems.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com