I present to the tribunal Confessor, a doom project from North Carolina with a very fresh take on the genre. They are a personal favorite of mine but I rarely hear any mention of them. Their bizarre interpretation of doom metal may lose them "kvlt points" but I think a lot of you will respect the artistic freedom they allow themselves and the doors that unlocks musically. Pretty accessible, instant gratification band minus the vocals. I believe that's most peoples' main gripe but once you get used to them great music is to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpwJ43GLq7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUAzn2gPDoA
This is quality, reminds me of a more unashamedly metal Melvins.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
this was on a list i made for myself of doom metal bands to get not long ago, but i haven't heard them yet. they're probably on my computer though
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Sounds like some NOLA projects with a Bay Area approach to tech. My favorite part is quite easily the vocals and here I am reading about how it's usually otherwise. I'm such a snowflake.

As a person who never dug NOLA stuff and only the most legendary Bay Area stuff, I'm not the best pair of ears for this. But I never listen just once... I'll be back.

Vocals at their shriekiest remind me of Burning Witch.

Prepare Yourself gets mighty at the end, that's for sure.

But then Collapse... goes into more Start-Stop riffing and ehh I dunno.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at May 16, 2016,
I love these vocals and I totally thought it was a chick. Still gonna think so.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Not surprised at the negative reactions but the love for the vocals did catch me off guard. I mean I dig 'em too but it took me several listens to adjust. I guess in a sense the vocals are the most "true" aspect of this band. They are not unlike heavy metal or epic doom vocals. For me it wasn't that they were bad so much as they didn't fit but once I got over that it made for a unique listening experience.

As for the music, yeah it's well produced and there is an emphasis on the start-stop riffage but I do NOT associate this with all those '90s groove band or the NOLA scene for that matter. Yes they are Southern and I'm not denying some influence but this is a totally different beast in my opinion. Never heard another band quite like 'em. Oh and for the record, completed fixated on the drumming.
That snare tone is pretty killer and I too was focused on the drum patterns over most else on my second listen. I can dig this more on my second listen but I must be crotchety because start/stop's ruin me every time.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I was thinking heavy metal vocals for sure. His vocals are actually pretty killer and are kind of jarring when you hear them with the music behind them, but the vocalist has some really interesting ways to present his voice beyond the background.

As for the NOLA thing, the influence is really apparent if you've listened to Pantera and NOLA bands, the riffs are almost completely in sync at points sounding like Pantera or NOLA bands could have lifted them directly from Confessor. Phil Anselmo has been noted quite a few times for praising Confessor, so it makes sense the bands he's in would reflect that. I think he was too much of a junkie skinhead to do the interesting rhythm sections though and took the southern riffs.

With that being said, does it really matter who Confessor are associated with?

I'm sure there's something more to Confessor, but nothing really caught my attention and I'm not into the whole weird time signature things in this style of music. It's neat sounding stuff when you break it down, or so I've read rather, but not for me.