Looking to upgrade my current guitar to either the Taylor 114E or 214E. I was initially sold on the 114E at such a solid price (650) but tried out the 214E as well and while I'm not sure if it sounds $350 better (214E is 1000), it definitely is a step above.

I've played both a number of times and enjoy the way both sound and play, though as mentioned have noticed that the 214E is a little better. But it's also a bit above my price range - I'd set an initial budget of around $700. Isn't it amazing how guitar shopping can magically open that number up? But I worry that if I go with the 114E I'll just be chomping at the bit to upgrade again in the near future. It seems to make more sense to drop a bit more dough now and be content rather than keep looking for the next best thing.

So basically I'm just looking to hear any opinions on these two guitars from those with experience playing them more than I have, as well any recommendations from those who've been in this awkward "upgrade to a higher end guitar" phase.

Thanks!
Quote by drewpage90
Looking to upgrade my current guitar to either the Taylor 114E or 214E. I was initially sold on the 114E at such a solid price (650) but tried out the 214E as well and while I'm not sure if it sounds $350 better (214E is 1000), it definitely is a step above.

I've played both a number of times and enjoy the way both sound and play, though as mentioned have noticed that the 214E is a little better. But it's also a bit above my price range - I'd set an initial budget of around $700. Isn't it amazing how guitar shopping can magically open that number up? But I worry that if I go with the 114E I'll just be chomping at the bit to upgrade again in the near future. It seems to make more sense to drop a bit more dough now and be content rather than keep looking for the next best thing.

So basically I'm just looking to hear any opinions on these two guitars from those with experience playing them more than I have, as well any recommendations from those who've been in this awkward "upgrade to a higher end guitar" phase.

Thanks!
Well, there's a couple of unfortunate truths in operation. First, you want us to help alleviate your guilt by telling you it's OK to spend more money. In fact, wanting us to to tell you that you should spend more money, is likely closer to the truth.

Second, Taylor likely makes a higher profit margin percentage, every time they bump you up a hundred in series number.

So..........,a big part of guitar ownership is all about vanity, and you likely won't be as happy playing any instrument that doesn't massage that vanity. (Relax, it's a character flaw we all share).

More so than sound, the biggest difference between the 1xx & 2xx series is the gloss finish on the 200's. Some people even like the 100's better sound-wise.

I have a 115e 12 string, and I'm quite happy with it. It's plain as mud, but sounds great. I'm not lusting for better one, it's what I could afford, and that's it. Ive managed to convince myself that the thin varnish finish, probably sounds better than that thick gloppy urethane. That's not to mention that fact Taylor doesn't even make a 2xx 12 string.

Back to your issues. Talyor doesn't make a 214e, (non cutaway version). Taylor's pretty much ships all 1xx & 2xx as "e" models, (w/ electronics).

Said cutaway is about $100.00. You can widen the price spread in favor of the 114, by buying the "e" only, not "ce" model.

With all that said, would you be hurting anyone if you treated yourself to the 214ce? If the answer is no, then go for it.

As long as you're not strapping yourself, or buying on pure vanity or impulse, go for it. As you pointed out, you're liable to keep it for quite a few years.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 16, 2016,
i like the 114 better than the 214, ane i've played 'em both many times. the 214 isn't an upgrade - the laminate is rosewood on it and sapele on the 114, but the backs and sides on both are laminate, and chances are very good that the wood under the laminate is the same on both guitars - at least, that's how all the other guitar companies do it. otherwise they're the same guitar, but i do notice a slight difference - more clarity from the 114.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
When I was purchasing my little girl a couple eons ago, I was going back and forth between the 110 and 310. The 110 played a bit better, but I couldn't get over how much better the 310 sounded within the room.

I ended up deciding on the 310. I certainly do not regret my decision. I don't know that I'd be as happy with a 110 in the long term.

From memory on this - the 100 and 200 series guitars are made up of a wood laminate, and the 300 series is the first series that is produced with solid woods and includes a hard-case.

If you have the opportunity to do so, check out the different bodystyles on the guitars as well. the x10,x12, and x14 all have a different sit-feel and sound. While my buddy's 812ce sounds amazing and is setup with action that turns my soul to butter - stringing my 310 w/ 13's tuned half a step down gives me exactly what I'm looking for. His 812 just doesn't have the same growl.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
Quote by dPrimmy
When I was purchasing my little girl a couple eons ago, I was going back and forth between the 110 and 310. The 110 played a bit better, but I couldn't get over how much better the 310 sounded within the room.

I ended up deciding on the 310. I certainly do not regret my decision. I don't know that I'd be as happy with a 110 in the long term.

From memory on this - the 100 and 200 series guitars are made up of a wood laminate, and the 300 series is the first series that is produced with solid woods and includes a hard-case.

If you have the opportunity to do so, check out the different bodystyles on the guitars as well. the x10,x12, and x14 all have a different sit-feel and sound. While my buddy's 812ce sounds amazing and is setup with action that turns my soul to butter - stringing my 310 w/ 13's tuned half a step down gives me exactly what I'm looking for. His 812 just doesn't have the same growl.

Worth noting, mind you, that all Taylors do have solid tops, which is the most important part of an acoustic guitar to have solid since it's most of your projection.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Worth noting, mind you, that all Taylors do have solid tops, which is the most important part of an acoustic guitar to have solid since it's most of your projection.

Don't mind me intruding but say I were on a budget, would it be worth the extra $100 to go for the solid top over a laminated one?
Quote by oneblackened

I couldn't find that listed explicitly on their site and remember reading that Taylor's woods were made in a more laminate fashion than a composite, but Google identified it on Sam Ash's page -

" All Taylor Guitars feature a solid top for maximum tonal resonance and voice, and include either a deluxe hard shell case or a Taylor gig bag. "

The back and sides are the only laminate wood pieces. The $100 would be for non-laminate back and sides, and possibly also for different bracing and trim. Taylor didn't specify in their last Wood & Steel if they have tiered bracing, but their top of the line was only 800 series+.

And to OP - go play them. Buy the one that feels better to you. Spend an hour or two going back and forth. Tell the sales person you're trying to get to know the guitars and to buzz off.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
Last edited by dPrimmy at May 16, 2016,
Quote by tau07
Don't mind me intruding but say I were on a budget, would it be worth the extra $100 to go for the solid top over a laminated one?

Absolutely!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^^^^ The 100 and 200 series are similar construction, solid top, lam b&s. the 200s aren't solid b&s. FWIW, I have tried a fair number of Taylors, and I have generally preferred the Mexi-made 100 and 200 series to their more expensive models. Price and my tonal preferences aren't closely related in factory guitars. You have to trust your ears.
Quote by dPrimmy
All Taylor Guitars feature a solid top for maximum tonal resonance and voice, and include either a deluxe hard shell case or a Taylor gig bag. "
Right, 1xx & 2xx series come with gig bags. The "Mexi-Taylors, si usted prefiere.

Quote by dPrimmy
The back and sides are the only laminate wood pieces. The $100 would be for non-laminate back and sides, and possibly also for different bracing and trim. Taylor didn't specify in their last Wood & Steel if they have tiered bracing, but their top of the line was only 800 series+.
This begs the question, "WTF are you talking about? Where in Taylor's line is $100.00 going to get you a solid wood B & S upgrade? (*)

The price bump from 2xx to 3xx is closer to $700.00, AFAIK

Also, I just got back from Taylor's website. The 2xx "Deluxe" models, are still "layered", but come with a hard shell case.

(*)BTW, that's a pretty fair question, sadly worded in my own inimitably rude way...
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 16, 2016,
Thanks for the responses everyone. Well said btw Captaincranky, I certainly would not be hurting anyone by purchasing either guitar, and am definitely vain as hell.

Went to the local store after work today and enjoyed a couple of Martin's I tried out in addition to the Taylor's. Specifically the 000RSGT, GPCRSGT and the DRS2, despite generally preferring concert concert bodies to dreadnoughts. So now I'm even more lost, which is right about where I expected to be.
@OP: I'd recommend going for the 214e. You obviously have decided that you like it better than the 114e Is it $300 better? Maybe....to you.

Regarding "loose prices" on guitar shopping, I'm with you on that. I'm a guy that went into a local store looking at 12 string models (on a budget) and ended up walking out with a composite guitar that costs $1400. Blew my "under $1,000" rule all to hell. To be fair to myself: I love it, it's the best guitar I ever owned.
Quote by Tony Done
Especially with Martin, think in terms of specific guitars rather than models. My experience is that they vary quite a bit.

Taylor pretty much whips the hell out of Martin in under $1,000 models. Is that too general a statement? Does Martin have anything comparable to the 114e at the $650 pricepoint? I've only played the limited selection at Guitarcenter, btw, so if my statement is ignorant my apologies.
Quote by drewpage90
...[ ]....Went to the local store after work today and enjoyed a couple of Martin's I tried out in addition to the Taylor's. Specifically the 000RSGT, GPCRSGT and the DRS2, despite generally preferring concert concert bodies to dreadnoughts. So now I'm even more lost, which is right about where I expected to be.
Well, if you like concert size bodies, I would think that would lead you right back to the Taylor x14 series. Taylor touts their "modern sound", which is basically brighter and more present than the thud of a Martin dread.

So, (IMHO), if you went with a Taylor "Grand Auditorium" body, you'd get that concert brightness, along with more authoritative, (but still not intrusive), bottom end.
So here's an update - spent the evening at the store again tonight and ended up buying this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/15-Series-00015M-Acoustic-Guitar-1273887991072.gc

Got it used in 'excellent' condition for a grand. I've played pretty much every acoustic in that store at this point and kept going back to this one. So this went in a completely unexpected direction but I'm very pleased. Thanks again for the comments, tips, life lessons, etc.
Last edited by drewpage90 at May 18, 2016,
I'm not sure what to say here..

Well, it's actually a toss up between, "my, my, that is a horse of a different color", and, "a man who travels to the beat of a different drum".

I am intrigued how that mahogany hijacked your ear in a spruce world. I may have to buy one myself one of these days, to see what all the fuss is about. It'll likely be one of the cheapie Fenders. You know, beer budget and all that.

In either case, best of luck with your new geetar.
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm not sure what to say here..

Well, it's actually a toss up between, "my, my, that is a horse of a different color", and, "a man who travels to the beat of a different drum".

I am intrigued how that mahogany hijacked your ear in a spruce world. I may have to buy one myself one of these days, to see what all the fuss is about. It'll likely be one of the cheapie Fenders. You know, beer budget and all that.

In either case, best of luck with your new geetar.

Haha I'm just as confused as you are, trust me. Appreciate it though!
Quote by drewpage90
So here's an update - spent the evening at the store again tonight and ended up buying this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/15-Series-00015M-Acoustic-Guitar-1273887991072.gc

Got it used in 'excellent' condition for a grand. I've played pretty much every acoustic in that store at this point and kept going back to this one. So this went in a completely unexpected direction but I'm very pleased. Thanks again for the comments, tips, life lessons, etc.

congrats on your new-to-you guitar! it's always a good idea imo to get the one you keep going back to if you can afford it. and it's all solid, too
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by drewpage90

hehehe...typical.

Hardly anybody ever gets what they set out to get Hope it serves you well
Quote by Captaincranky

I am intrigued how that mahogany hijacked your ear in a spruce world. I may have to buy one myself one of these days, to see what all the fuss is about.

A bit more expensive than the cheapie fenders, but Taylor has been making a bunch of Mahogany top models lately, in the 3xx and 5xx lines. Those are all I play anymore when I hang out at the store where I used to work. The mahogany darkens the tone a bit, paired with Taylor's naturally bright sound, they sound great. Would definitely be buying one if I could afford it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Good choice(if you like mahogany I guess), but if you are gonna spend that amount of $$$ get an all solid wood guitar instead of a laminate B&S. There's lots of good all solid options (seagull, yamaha, recording king, epiphone, faith) under $1000. 
patticake I believe Taylor says "layered rosewood" and "layered sapele" which would lead me to believe the laminate layers are all of the same wood as the top layer, not sure though. I like rosewood over sapele/mahogany myself, richer undertones, darker and less harshness to my ears.  Still $1000 or even $700 for a laminate B/S guitar is a ripoff IMO considering the other options available.
Oh for god's sake, the TS' last post to this thread was in May, 2016.

And yes kidz, a rookie managed to suck me back into it a few days ago. My bad.

Quote by hotrodney71
patticake I believe Taylor says "layered rosewood" and "layered sapele" which would lead me to believe the laminate layers are all of the same wood as the top layer, not sure though. I like rosewood over sapele/mahogany myself, richer undertones, darker and less harshness to my ears.  Still $1000 or even $700 for a laminate B/S guitar is a ripoff IMO considering the other options available.
Well, there are no tangible savings in making all the layers out of the veneer wood. I think I heard poplar core mentioned somewhere, but ATM, I can't recall the source.