Hi,

having the budget of up-to 400 euro I am choosing between Epiphone sheraton II *korea* vs Godin sd22 *canada* guitar motivated to use it for jazz blues gigs :-D
will be thankful for any suggestions regarding both instruments !

Thanks!

Gleb
The SD is a nice little chimera of a guitar that never found its niche. I think it got discontinued because nobody knew what to make of a Strat-LP Hybrid. They're well made, as I recall, though, and I'd love to get one for myself.

On the other hand, the Sheraton is a classic semihollow style jazz/blues guitar. Pretty much the main kinds of guitar you see in those genres.

Personally, I'd opt for the Godin- if nothing else, it is a "path less taken", which will affect how you're perceived and possibly how you play- but I think it's a bit of a toss-up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 16, 2016,
on what particular models of the godin's electric guitars also should to pay my attention ? Besides sd 22 I found in stock godin readline 3 which is possibly more metal oriented ,
Godin Radiator
GODIN RICHMOND BELMONT
GODIN ARTISAN
I have a Belmont and I love it! Mine will be going to get set up for slide with higher action and heavier strings soon. I'm thinking the SD Lipsticks and '59 HB could be a bit raucous for jazz, though I honestly haven't tried. Still, nice.

The Artisan is Tele style that was discontinued a while ago, long before I discovered the brand. But I have seen nothing but praise for them. I saw one guy had listed his for sale 3 times and withdrew the sale every time. Some compare them to Fender Custom Shop quality, which could be hyperbole...but might not be.

The Radiator- like the Triumph before it- is another LP-style guitar, but equipped with some of Godin's hotter singlecoils. Again, they'd be killer for hot dirty blues or blues rock, but maybe to much for jazz. Still, both worth a look.

You might look for some of the discontinued or used Session or Progression guitars- all Tele and Strat style- or even one of the other used/discontinued LP style Core or LGs. I also occasionally see used/B-stock Icons go for ridiculous prices, and those had a trio of Lollar P90s in them. You see one of those in your price range, jump on it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 16, 2016,
The Kingpin series are pretty nice. But I prefer the Montreal.

Hell...I don't know that Godin has a dog in their lineup right now.

Its a very different guitar. The Radiator has singlecoils, the Yamaha has humbuckers. My gut feeling is the Yamaha would be a better jazz guitar.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 17, 2016,
however both are LP style :-)
for jazz Yamaha is good but the overall quality of the sound produced by the resonance due to the wood used in that model is not good for me :0) also the neck is like gibson old style -not very comfortable to play smth fast .
what is about wood from Radiator godin? Actually In this case I am not interested for the guitar for Jazz.

Gleb
While there may be a bit of resonance from the Yamaha body, most of what you'll actually experience will come from the amp, effects, and humbuckers- probably in that order. The resonance of the body may not even be audible while playing amplified.

The Radiator isn't a solidbody, though. It is a chambered-body guitar. Probably more to relieve weight as opposed to improve resonance.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinradp.htm

Right, thanks!

btw what are the characteristics of Silver Leaf Maple wood ? Is the sound like Stratocaster style ?
It can add a bit of brightness. It is also fairly dense, so when it is used as a body wood, it is often chambered- like in the Radiator.