So i got this idea to start recording my band at band practice. Of course being me, i cant help but over plan this thing, so i decided i would like to record everything properly, not just set a digital recorder in the middle of the room and hope for the best. But i already have a problem, because im not really sure what kind of equipment i need. The biggest issue with audio interfaces seems to be the lack of inputs. I counted up how many imputs i need, and the number is up at 14 inputs. Im thinking a full mic set for drums (4xtoms, kick, snare, hihat, 2xoverheads), 2x guitars, bass and 2x vocals. I know its kinda overkill, but if im miking stuff up, i can at least do it properly. I alredy own a bunch of mics, so i would just need a set of drum mikes, and the t.bones are prety cheap.

But what can i get for an audio interface? Is there a way to like, chain more small ones together or something? I dont wanna spend thousands of euros on it, since i also dont need massive quality. Its basicly just to record stuff while we jam out and write songs, and to see how well we play. Maybe for producing demos. If i actually start producing stuff, then i would think about upgrades. But now, yeah, i just want something that can record all this microphones at the same time. It would also be nice if the thing was usb compatible, since i wanna record this on my laptop. I dont wanna buy a dedicated computer, just to have it sit in the practice space (and it would also cost way to much).

Thanks!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
You can definitely aggregate interfaces, it's MUCH easier and smoother on a mac but it's not too hard on a PC.

Depending on your budget, getting an interface with ADAT expandability and then buying a cheap 8-pre ADAT box could be the fastest way to do it.

One strong suggestion that will save you tons of headaches - give up on mic'ing the toms. That's a massive waste of resources when you're trying to keep things simple. Same with the hi-hat, it'll come through LOUD and clear in the overheads. You can get away with 4 or 5 mics on the kit and it will sound just as good.

What quality are you looking for exactly? If you're not looking to crank out final masters from this setup, you can do it all on something with 8 preamps:
1. Vocal
2. Vocal
3. Guitar
4. Guitar
5. Kick
6. Snare
7. OH L
8. OH R
9/not a pre. Bass through amp output into a line level input.

Anyway, sorry that wasn't super cohesive, but that should give you some food for thought.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
It makes sense. Im not planing on pumping out actual songs from this, altough it would be nice to have the option. LIke i said, its just for recording band practices, mostly to figure out how we are playing, and for demoing stuff that we later change into songs. But i like the idea of not miking up the toms. If i just need about 8 preamps i can get by with this:

http://www.thomann.de/intl/tascam_16x08.htm

I was also thinking of getting the above mentioned tascam and pair it up with this:

http://www.thomann.de/intl/behringer_ada_8200_ultragain.htm

Can i plug the mics into the behringer preamps and then plug the line out of the behringer into a line in at the back of the tascam? If that works, than i would have more than enough mic preamps to mic up the pedalboards as well
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The Tascam will definitely take care of your needs. When we rented a rehearsal space there was a band next to us that recorded a pretty decent demo on one of these. It has a bit of a latency but it could be controlled as it has a input/daw mix so you can monitor in real time before it hits the DAW. Not a bad interface, especially considering the low cost. These could be had used for almost next to nothing.

You can also look into Audient iD14:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iD14

and an used ADAT 8 channel preamp like PreSonus Digimax, Art TubeOpto8, Focusrite Octopre, Behringer ADA8200.

Comes out all together about the same price as the Tascam but you have better DI and vocal channel on the Audient interface. Fewer channels though (10).
Last edited by diabolical at May 16, 2016,