Hi there! I am going to explain a bit my situation. I have been playing for 3 years now guitar, with more than one year of taught electric-guitar lessons. I know about scales (pentatonic, natural minor, blues...), power chords, and more important, I've been improvising all the time and trying to focus on that.

I have started to feel that I want to join people to play with, it could be even a band. However, I am a bit afraid of the moment that I might think I am prepared enough to play with other people, and once I am there, maybe it doesn't work. How do I really know if I am totally prepared to play in a band or something similar¿ Can you give any tips about it?

Many thanks!!
Find some other musicians close to your skill level to play with and give it a shot, sometimes jumping in is the only way to get yourself ready for playing with others, in fact the other musicians can often help you to adjust.

If you try and it doesn't work out to get discouraged just keep playing and looking for others to play with. Not all musicians are comparable and will be able to work with one another.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 16, 2016,
There are a lot of douchebags out there when you are just meeting strangers trying to join or start a band.
Don't let them shake your confidence.

There are few things in the world worse than a failed musician.
Or a low level musicIan that thinks they should be bigger.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at May 16, 2016,
Quote by me in another thread last week
you'll never be good enough to be in a band until you've been in a band.

I've been in a band for a long time, ok, & none of us were very good when we started out -- but man, just the feeling of playing the same tune with other people for the first time, no amount of noodling with scales in your bedroom will ever match that.

you know, maybe you don't want to get involved with people who are trying to do a really serious professional thing & get a recording contract & sell out gigs ASAP -- but just form a dumb garage band with some friends, where nothing's really at stake -- practice practice practice, have fun, don't worry about playing shows or anything until you're ready.

hope that helps
Yeah the above is really helpful. What you want/need is a non-serious commitment band, just a bunch of people who jam maybe once a week, kind of working on covers and some original stuff. If things go well you could talk about doing a gig some time.

You do develop quite rapidly when you join a band. I think it's more about the psychological aspect, like you end up thinking more about music and playing, and you typically look forward to band practice, so it all kind of adds up and eventually you'll just realize how far you've come.

For what it's worth, no one is really 'ready' to join their first band, it's something you just experience and learn from. It's kind of like getting your first girlfriend/boyfriend, you have all these expectations that society has presented to you, but all that goes out the window because personal experience rules all
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Go for it!

If you get kicked out for sucking, find a new band.

Repeat until you get better. Don't get discouraged, the Beatles sucked pretty bad at first. Hendrix was kicked out of bands. We all grow in time.
Being in a band is one of (if not the) best ways to grow as a musician.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by gc318
How do I really know if I am totally prepared to play in a band or something similar?

Just in case if the other explanations were TL;DR:

1. Find 'em.
2. Meet 'em.
3. Jam with 'em.
4. Have fun.
If you had fun, proceed to step 5.
If you didn't have fun, repeat steps 1-3 with other people until you get to step 4.

5. Just kidding, there is no step 5.
Last edited by davidyanity at May 16, 2016,
Well thank you guys for all your replies, I am taking them into account. I will try to start jamming with people, nothing serious and see how it goes. Respect to confident and discouraging I have to admit that I am easy to discourage, and maybe that's what pulls me back a bit of this. But I think time has arrived for me to start interacting with others, regardless of what can come next, thanks!!
Quote by gc318
Well thank you guys for all your replies, I am taking them into account. I will try to start jamming with people, nothing serious and see how it goes. Respect to confident and discouraging I have to admit that I am easy to discourage, and maybe that's what pulls me back a bit of this. But I think time has arrived for me to start interacting with others, regardless of what can come next, thanks!!

No worries man. I understand about being easily discouraged, but honestly playing music with other people is a really, really special thing. Sometimes being in a band is hard, sometimes the mood can really drop, but as soon as you get on stage and do what you've practiced hundreds of times, all of that just disappears.

Playing/making music with other people can dramatically change your life for the better.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Spidey93
This guy is looking to get a guitarist to start his first band; maybe you guys should talk

I don't start things unless I intend to finish them. Thats why I come off so aggressive in my ads. I know 18 years into the game that people are lazy and don't want to put in the work. If I was half as lazy as some of my previous band mates I would quit music. Lazy shits are a dime a dozen. I already talked about the digitalization of music among producers in the studio but it's gotten a lot worse. With these new smart guitars coming out sooner or later it's all going to sound like edm. I guess when that time comes you will be forced to love what I do and buy my music. After all, you aren't going out of your way to match my passion.

Im all bark and no bite right? Now I have something to prove. Not exactly. I said if I ever felt like somebody needed me to step in I would but you fuckers gotta meet me half way man. Do the job right or don't do it at all. It's fun to play covers just starting out like the op. Hes 3 years into it. When you play music for 18 years it's a lot more fun to shoot for the finish line. Only people who are at my level all mostly older and married with children. Find me somebody whos still young and wants a music career or don't even bother with me at this point.
My favourite time playing with other people was when I used to do open mics regularly. There was this old Indian guy who did 'fusion' music which was basically him singing some proper loud Indian stuff over either his backing tracks or a band. He used to have a bunch of guys who'd regularly play with him so the songs sounded fairly well though-out, but they all fell out with him because he was a pain in the arse. So after giving up on his backing tracks he'd just come up to people whose sets he liked and said 'you play for me now, yes?'

So up go a couple of guitarists, maybe a bassist, someone on a cajon, the compere on harmonica and occasionally me on uke. He would do a spiel about his song, count us in, one of the guitarists would shout out a key, harmonica guy would frantically dig about in his bag looking for the right one, Indian guy would start singing some full Bollywood stuff, and none of us would know what was going on except that it sounded equal parts terrible and amazing. Every week the same songs would sound completely different.

It's not a great way to improve your playing but it was a lot of fun and built my confidence up a lot.

So yeah, start going to open mics, let jams happen, and then decide if you reckon you can get a band out of that. You won't regret it.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by fte85
I don't start things unless I intend to finish them. Thats why I come off so aggressive in my ads. I know 18 years into the game that people are lazy and don't want to put in the work. If I was half as lazy as some of my previous band mates I would quit music. Lazy shits are a dime a dozen. I already talked about the digitalization of music among producers in the studio but it's gotten a lot worse. With these new smart guitars coming out sooner or later it's all going to sound like edm. I guess when that time comes you will be forced to love what I do and buy my music. After all, you aren't going out of your way to match my passion.

Im all bark and no bite right? Now I have something to prove. Not exactly. I said if I ever felt like somebody needed me to step in I would but you fuckers gotta meet me half way man. Do the job right or don't do it at all. It's fun to play covers just starting out like the op. Hes 3 years into it. When you play music for 18 years it's a lot more fun to shoot for the finish line. Only people who are at my level all mostly older and married with children. Find me somebody whos still young and wants a music career or don't even bother with me at this point.

Never join a band with a guy like this. They're nothing but jerks, they're the ones who live in lofts/with parents at 40 and still act like they can 'make it' regardless of the revolving door policy for band members. They're also likely to steal from you and blame you for their mistakes.

Man if you've got such an issue - across several threads/posts at this point - go and do it all your damn self. If you're so great go write everything. Go record everything. Go produce everything. Do it exactly how you want. If it's amazing a label will probably just hire session musicians for live gigs/tours.

So yeah, go do that, and don't complain anymore until you do.

Edit:

If you reply with increased sarcasm/antagonism I'm totally going to screen cap your finding band members thread and send it to Glen Fricker; that would be most humorous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6P390wCNA
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Last edited by Anthony1991 at May 17, 2016,
Quote by Anthony1991
Never join a band with a guy like this. They're nothing but jerks, they're the ones who live in lofts/with parents at 40 and still act like they can 'make it' regardless of the revolving door policy for band members. They're also likely to steal from you and blame you for their mistakes.

Man if you've got such an issue - across several threads/posts at this point - go and do it all your damn self. If you're so great go write everything. Go record everything. Go produce everything. Do it exactly how you want. If it's amazing a label will probably just hire session musicians for live gigs/tours.

So yeah, go do that, and don't complain anymore until you do.

Edit:

If you reply with increased sarcasm/antagonism I'm totally going to screen cap your finding band members thread and send it to Glen Fricker; that would be most humorous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6P390wCNA

To be honest I don't live that far from Glenn. I know of a few bands who went into his studio. Hes kind of the go to guy for heavy metal musicians if you can afford him. Hes a smart business man establishing himself that way. Offering free beer is a good way to lure people in. If you thought I was bad here, trust when I say that Glenn has probably seen me pop up a few times over kijiji.

Out of the local bands who recorded with Glenn guess how many are still together? Zero. They all just fell apart to never be heard from again. Glenn is somebody who took his passion and turned it into a success. I don't blame the failures of those bands at all on Glenn. I almost auditioned for one of the bands that Glenn used in one of his videos. I wont say who it was, but they were making fun of the drummer as they recorded his take for doing a bad job.

I think im pretty good though. I actually asked musicians in a poll why their bands failed. Since I never stopped going I didn't blame myself. The most common answer was that they had lazy players. I can relate to that being somebody who had lazy ass musicians in his past bands. And now because you don't like it that im motivated I have to hire session musicians to play my songs? Fuck that. I asked people if they were all in on something I wasn't. They weren't. If im the new king of controversy for admitting im good and staying hungry as an artist il take it. It's better than being lazy as fuck and uninspired.
Last edited by fte85 at May 17, 2016,
Quote by fte85
To be honest I don't live that far from Glenn. I know of a few bands who went into his studio. Hes kind of the go to guy for heavy metal musicians if you can afford him. Hes a smart business man establishing himself that way. Offering free beer is a good way to lure people in. If you thought I was bad here, trust when I say that Glenn has probably seen me pop up a few times over kijiji.

Out of the local bands who recorded with Glenn guess how many are still together? Zero. They all just fell apart to never be heard from again. Glenn is somebody who took his passion and turned it into a success. I don't blame the failures of those bands at all on Glenn. I almost auditioned for one of the bands that Glenn used in one of his videos. I wont say who it was, but they were making fun of the drummer as they recorded his take for doing a bad job.

I think im pretty good though. I actually asked musicians in a poll why their bands failed. Since I never stopped going I didn't blame myself. The most common answer was that they had lazy players. I can relate to that being somebody who had lazy ass musicians in his past bands. And now because you don't like it that im motivated I have to hire session musicians to play my songs? Fuck that. I asked people if they were all in on something I wasn't. They weren't. If im the new king of controversy for admitting im good and staying hungry as an artist il take it. It's better than being lazy as fuck and uninspired.

So did you ever post any samples of your work? I have to admit that the threads you participate in often degenerate so I don't always have the patience to follow through but I would be genuinely curious to hear your portfolio
Quote by fte85

I highly doubt he offers free beer. He's even made videos against beer in the studio. How many times has he wanted to see you, though?

I don't think it's anything to do with Glenn if people stick together after they've used his services? That's like saying your car ran out of fuel after you filled up at the last station and then drove 1000 miles, it's not the gas station's fault you don't have any gas. You should never enter the studio if you're not prepared to play your part the best you can, that involves not being drunk, hungover, on drugs, or any of that other shit. They were absolutely correct to rag on the drummer - after all the rest of the band has to sync into his playing. If his playing is shit the entire recording will be.

There's a difference between being motivated and being a jackass. If you were more personable and took it less seriously you're far more likely to find people to play with. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that unless you're being paid to do music full/part time, it is effectively a hobby. People have jobs and other part of their lives that need attention - this gets harder as the years go by. You can still work really hard at it inside of those parameters but there's times when other things come before the band/music, that's life. I imagine part of the reason you haven't found - and won't - anyone is because you're not willing to accept that there's people behind the instruments. They're not tools, they're people.

If you get over yourself you'll see there's plenty of willing and good musicians around you, but they want to be treated with respect, courtesy, and understanding. There's a time for pushing, but it's not 100% of the time.

Do you know how good players are that say they're good? They tend not to be very good. They might be able to play fast or whatever but who says that's the benchmark for being good? A good player is someone who recognizes they're not the center of the fucking world, which is reflected in their playing.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm not much of a player but my instructor has asked me to play duets with him at his show I took that as a good sign. Also I was asked, unheard, if I'd be the guitar player in a local mariachi band (seriously).

The only band I was ever in was a shitty college band. I didn't play anything back then and provided offkey vocals
Last edited by TobusRex at May 17, 2016,
I debate this common notion that every guitar player that claims they are good are not good.

There's no corellation between cockiness and ability.
Sometimes the player might be as good or better than what they claim. Some are terrible.
try recording yourself playing and jam to drum, bass tracks on youtube, soundcloud, etc

if you can jump into a beat and roll with it for a 5-10 min then you should be fine playing with others

don't be nervous about jamming with people, it should be a chill time to get to know eachother and understand eachothers styles of playing. If you mess up just laugh it off and keep playing
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by viennasunsetb at #33973422
Drummers are notoriously tough to find.

this is true
i was lucky enough to find a drummer to jam with who was already pretty decent at his style of playing

if you know a drummer, start a band with them before someone else does lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by TobusRex
I'm not much of a player but my instructor has asked me to play duets with him at his show I took that as a good sign. Also I was asked, unheard, if I'd be the guitar player in a local mariachi band (seriously).

The only band I was ever in was a shitty college band. I didn't play anything back then and provided offkey vocals

Way to go man

Quote by EyeNon15
I debate this common notion that every guitar player that claims they are good are not good. There's no corellation between cockiness and ability. Sometimes the player might be as good or better than what they claim. Some are terrible.

It was a generalization I admit but given the state of the music world in general, when someone comes in saying they're amazing... well, the truly good people don't need to say they're good. They need to show it, consistently. You've also got to be nice to work with to make it in music, especially in this era.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster