I have been playing acoustic guitar for 4 years self taught, i am pretty advanced with fingerpicking and all that good stuff. I have taught myself electric guitar solos off youtube and I am curious on how you know what pedals and effects to use to achieve the sound you are wanting. I am also wanting to buy a new amp, what is your pick? Currently I just learned the solo to time by pink floyd but i don't know how to achieve the correct tone. Some comments on youtube say to use delay but all these effects are foreign to me.
Well, you can figure that out by experimenting or reading abitat pedals. I do both.

This has some of the basics sketched out:
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/guitar-pedal-buying-guide/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I always believe the best way to learn about this sort of thing is to buy a multi effects unit and experiment. Personally I'd recommend a Zoom G3 - great sounding, easy to use and loads of extra features.

With a unit like that, you can use it for headphone practice and experiment with different effects in different orders, use different amp sims (which can also help influence your choice of kit when you upgrade your amp) and generally use it to increase your knowledge of how effects work. You can even position the effects before or after the amp, to simulate use of an effects loop etc.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I did something likewise, except I used portable digital modelers. I have Korg Pandoras and a Tascam GT-R1*, but the Line 6 PODs are the most popular, and the Boss Micro BRs may be the most powerful.

* I also have a DigiTech iPB-10 I like but rarely used- got it on a whim.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Multi effects pedals exist for people who have no idea what they want. While the quality of the effects aren't nearly as good (as a generalization of the budget ones) as dedicated stomp boxes, they're ideal for experimentation as they come with hundreds of different effects for newcomers to play with.

Back when I started, I owned a few old multi effects units on the advice given by guitar teachers. But I never used them. I discovered the sort of effects I liked by listening to the bands I like, researching how that tone was achieved and buying stomp boxes accordingly.

Having hundreds of effects to play with is nice in theory, but in practice only a handful of them are going to really appeal to you. I was happy enough with having far fewer effects that were much better sounding instead of hundreds of effects that all sounded meh.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 17, 2016,
As a basic effects array you probably need:

The 3 ambiance effects: reverb,(often in amp), delay, and chorus

A decent compressor. These will "sand the rough edges off" distortion pedals, OR, contribute to sustain, whether clean OR dirty. The MXR "Dyna Comp" is a good one.

A distortion booster. "Arguably" the Ibanez "Tube Screamer" is a decent starter.

(Modeling amps usually have a ton of high gain settings, so you might get away with an amp which has channel switching).

After that, stuff becomes pretty specialized.

Phase shifters are fun, but perhaps a bit dated or overdone.

Flangers are a type of short delay chorus. I have a 30 Y.O. Boss "BF-2. It sounded like shit to me when I bought it and it still does. I only mention this because they are pretty popular. YRMV.

And then there are octavers, and envelope filters, to play with some time in the future.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 17, 2016,
Currently I just learned the solo to time by pink floyd but i don't know how to achieve the correct tone.

Have fun with that, Gilmour has t his nasty habit of using decades old effects that are hard to find these days, like the old Big Muff or Fuzz Face. He also uses a treble booster, an Alembic bass preamp, and a tape based Echoplex. (or maybe it's another brand, I Can't remember he one listed in the article I read.)

The Ibanez Tube Screamer mentioned above is an overdrive pedal, not much distortion, more useful as a clean signal booster for leads. It will produce a little distortion, but not the fuzz you'll need for a lot of Gilmour leads.

A good distortion pedal will do a nice job of that, my favorite is the Ibanez SD 9 Sonic Distortion I'm using now. The Boss DS1 is pretty decent, and not expensive, but don't expect it to nail a Gilmour sound. My Ibanez gets fairly close, but not the same as the fuzz he uses. He's used different ones over the years.

A good digital delay might do a good job of hte echo you're after, I'm not sure how close they can get to the original Echoplex and the tape based echo units available years ago. [m using a Arion Analog Delay, it won't do it. I get a decent delay, I keep it set for one light slap back, but it won't match a good tape based unit.

A lot of music stores have display units set up with multiple effects, you can try and find one and try out a few pedals, then decide what suits you best. In my early days I got to try out a lot of new stuff, the guy at a local music store found out people were coming in to listen to me so he'd hand me whatever new effects had just hit the shelf every time I came in.

Over the years here's what I've ended up with.

Arion Analog Delay, basically an echo unit, I use it in place of reverb. Never liked the sound of a reverb unit much.

Ibanez Phaser. Not great, but does a good job of one thing, phase shifter. Most of the time I use it for one song during the night at gigs.

Marshall Bluesbreaker (Overdrive). Same as any overdrive it will produce a light distortion effect, I usually keep it set as a clean boost.

Ibanez SD 9 Sonic Distortion. My all time favorite distortion pedal, anything from a light classic rock distortion to a pedal I've used to audition for full on metal bands, and they loved it too. I keep it set to about the 9 o'clock position, just enough distortion to tell it's there.

Volume pedal. Can't or won't play without one. Control the volume with my foot and keep playing.

Not on the pedal board -

Rocktron Distortion, old distortion pedal, popular in the 90's. Think Dokken, early Scorpions, 90's hair bands.

Rocktron Metal Planet distortion. Versatile but hard to dial in.

Boss DS 1 distortion - Modified to be a cross between overdrive and distortion. Low gain gets very little distortion, almost like a n overdrive maxed out, turn the gain up and it's still a decent distortion pedal. I use it a lot as a backup if the Ibanez flakes out.

Dan Electro Rocky Road. Supposed to be a Leslie in a box for guitar, makes a better flanger than anything else. Had to be modified to be usable at all.

To get the kind of sound Gilmour uses for things like Time and Comfortably Numb, you'll want a good distortion or fuzz that will get a smooth distortion, a good delay that will get close to an echo based unit, and a treble booster wouldn't hurt. He also uses a volume pedal. his rig has changed over hte years, but he has almost always stayed with Hiwatt amps (three 100 watt heads, 2 in use and one standby) and WEM cabinets. For studio he uses a lot of Fender amps, Hiwatts and a Gallien Kruger I think it was or maybe Soldano. (Momentary Lapse of Reason album) A lot of the guitar on Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon was done with a Fender, probably a Showman, and a Hiwatt . For one song he set it up in a coliseum to record the lead. Interesting guy...

For fuzz, he's used the original Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, I think at times a Big Muff too. The Alembic bass preamp was originally Roger Waters' unit, he started playing around with it one day, loved it for guitar and bought one, he's been using it ever since, that thing is always plugged in. I think he still uses a tape based echo unit, I think it's an Echoplex, but it could be another brand, I can't remember. I saw a video not long ago where he was also using a tremolo pedal. Not sure what it was, it was red. never got a good look at it. He also use two treble boosters a few years ago, not sure if he was using those during the recording of Dark Side or not. At that time he was probably using a Fuzz Face for fuzz, Alembic preamp and echoplex, that was probably the line up used for "Time". He uses a lot onstage, minimal in the studio to cut out noise and buzz. He's been known for years to start with the cleanest guitar signal he can get, which is why he uses Hiwatt amps onstage. Marshalls won't get near as clean as Hiwatts.

Look up Gilmour rig rundown, you might find some good info on what specific pedals he used at different times.

To get by, you'll need a good smooth distortion pedal, a good echo and a clean amp that handles pedals well. Without the Alembic bass preamp, it's near impossible to really nail his sound, and he literally always has that thing hooked up. I've seen pictures of him doodling at home, Alembic box is there, and a small Fender tube amp. Probably something in the Princeton range. The picture of his stage rig I saw years ago had over a dozen pedals mounted on a music stand that he could control with his hand instead of by foot. More recent stage videos show him with a pedal board on the floor. But always loads of boxes...Then there's the rack mount rig...

OK found it, Binson Echorec is the echo unit he used.

www.gilmourish.com, check the gear page.

Here's what it says he used ofr the recording sessions -

Effects recording sessions

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (BC108)
Colorsound Powerboost
Univox Uni-Vibe
Binson Echorec II
Kepex processor (tremolo, Money recording session)
EMS Synthi Hi-Fli guitar effect processor

Nothing about the Alembic for some reason, but he's always used it according to other articles and an interview in the 90's.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Fortunately, because where there are fanatics, a market exists that will be filled by entrepreneurs to satisfy them, there are all kinds of devices designed and reverse engineered to mimic, clone and occasionally even surpass the legendary gear of yesteryear.

For instance, in recapturing DG's tone in particular, there are all kinds of options.

Catalinbread's EchoRec is a very faithful reproduction of the Binson EchoRec, in a pedalboard-friendly affordable package.

Instead of buying a Leslie cabinet for his rotary sounds, a Boss RE-20 Rotary pedal is a reasonable substitute.

The Hot Silicon Fuzz from FoxRox Electronics is an affordable substitute for the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.

Fernandes makes a Stratclone equipped with a trio of the EMGs he favors.

Besides the usual sites, the sword & knife maker Kit Rae has a little blog about building a setup for DG'S tone...
http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gilmour_Tone_Building.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 18, 2016,