With my next paycheck I'm going to get a new amp. Nothing too big or extravagant as I'm probably going to use it for practice and maybe small gigs. Thought about something between 40-100 watt. I can go up to $300 and I'm currently looking for second hand solid states, as I can get a better deal this way. I need something that sounds great clean but can also handle different pedals, especially distortion!! I mostly play 90s rock, grunge and some metal.

I thought about a Fender Champion 100: it gets great reviews for its clean channel and with the right pedals, I'm sure it can get dirty too.

What do you guys think?

PS: I can't try out different amps as the only music store around here is very limited.
Why is solid state a "better deal"?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Why is solid state a "better deal"?

It's not. I can get a better deal if I buy second hand is what I said
Oh, word. Well you can get a lot of tube amp for $300.

Budget? - $300? Hopefully less?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Used, heck yeah!

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Oh, word. Well you can get a lot of tube amp for $300.

Budget? - $300. Less is always a plus.

Genres? - 90s rock, grunge and some metal. Think Nirvana, Silverchair, Weezer and the likes. But occasionally, I play some metal too (Slayer etc.).

New or Used? - Used, heck yeah! <-- agree!

Home or Gig? - mostly home and jamming (with drummer, no pa). Eventually we might do a few gigs at small venues (maybe!).

Closest City? - I live on an island (Aruba) I can buy off Reverb, Ebay and from GC.

Current Gear? - Fender strat (MIA) and a Squier Venus (which has a single pup in neck and a bucker in bridge).
Quote by R3-AUA
Budget? - $300. Less is always a plus.

Genres? - 90s rock, grunge and some metal. Think Nirvana, Silverchair, Weezer and the likes. But occasionally, I play some metal too (Slayer etc.).

New or Used? - Used, heck yeah! <-- agree!

Home or Gig? - mostly home and jamming (with drummer, no pa). Eventually we might do a few gigs at small venues (maybe!).

Closest City? - I live on an island (Aruba) I can buy off Reverb, Ebay and from GC.

Current Gear? - Fender strat (MIA) and a Squier Venus (which has a single pup in neck and a bucker in bridge).

Ok, the Champion 100 would royally suck for the music you play. Think Jet City, Peavey Vypyr tube 60, Peavey Classic 30, Laney Cub, Orange TT used. You need tubes. A dozen great pedals can't fix a stinker amp so buy a quality amp that will get it done alone. Pedals are the icing on the cake. Ignore wattage as it really doesn't matter much if you got great tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY