Hi everyone,

I guess the question is in the title but does anyone knows any good instrumental metal band ?
What I want is a band that makes beautiful long instrumental songs (no vocals).
Nightwish has some instrumental version of their songs but they are (mostly) still defined by the classic structure of a song (chorus, verse, solo). Tesseract has some songs that come close to it but still have vocals.

I guess I am looking for something close to classical music but with metal

I could try to find classical music transposed for metal but I want something new.

I hope I will discover new bands soon

rXp
Post-Metal

/thread
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
yup

Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats will Beckon the Thaw
Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Next time ask in our recommendation thread, stickied at the very top, can't miss it.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Sorry about that, I read it but didn't tink to ask in it.
Conquering Dystopia is great. Check them out if you like Jeff Loomis and/or sick riffs.
"I feel like a one legged cat trying to bury a turd in a frozen pond."

DANMARK ØDELÆGGER ALLE
The best thing to do is youtube something like 'melodic metal album' or 'melodic black metal' or 'melodic metal compilation'. They tend to have a bunch of cool stuff in those compilations, not everything is gold but it's how I found a band like Polyphia and Insomnia.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
At the moment I'm being gay and listening to Cloudkicker's Beacons. Enjoying it even. I have no issue with this surprisingly. Try out Cloudkicker's Beacons.

Also try out these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5yEFgYlPH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tnFwxP5n2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VDOVu-cnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz8KsxGnznQ

and obviously this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfm_ROTbUCw

maybe this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tIUzoQwcQ
Try "The Old House on the Hill" and "The Book of Shadows" by Dragonland. They're mainly instrumental cinematic things, split into three or four tracks each - one of them does have vocals on one track, but it's like 85% instrumental. Not exactly what you're looking for, but because you said Nightwish, I thought of them.
Quote by aolyf
no ones said animals as leaders?

Because they're a joke
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

A lot of great things
Thanks to everyone ! I think I have enough for now
Quote by Kytokinesis
Because they're a joke

I would love an explanation.
rXp check out Plini, Animals as Leaders, Polyphia, David Maxim Micic, Cloudkicker and Desolate Dreams. All awesome artists with a lot of music.
Last edited by ebass829 at Sep 27, 2017,
The Chasm's new album's gonna be fully instrumental, the previous one was half instrumental and they've always featured amazing instrumentals in a bunch of their previous albums check em out
Quote by aolyf
I would love an explanation.

Same.

However, I can probably also offer the explanation. What you are dealing with, sir, is a metal elitist who thinks that because a band has been labeled "djent," there is absolutely no talent in it and is the laughing stock of metal. I'm sure Tosin Abasi being featured on the cover of Rolling Stones magazine and touring the world doing guitar clinics with artists like Steve Vai and Guthrie Govan doesn't help, either, it's just too mainstream to be taken seriously by the metal guitar community. Yes, Tosin spent two decades studying jazz guitar, yes his technical ability puts most of us to shame, yes he has a mastery over arpeggios that Necrophagist would probably wank it to, yes he's a sought out guitar teacher around the world, yes every album he releases is more experimental than the last, no that doesn't make him worth anything to the music community.

EDIT: duly noted is the fact that there are artists listed here nobody took the time to slander that cite his work as a major influence lmao
Well, I think I'll go turn myself off an' go on down
All the way down...
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
You know what I'm trying to say
Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, and-a kiss
Manic Depression is a fustrating mess
Last edited by jazar94 at Sep 29, 2017,
While they arent a instrumental band, Iron Maiden has released some excellent instrumentals - Transylvania, Ides of March, Ghengis Khan, Losfer Words
Quote by jazar94
Yes, Tosin spent two decades studying jazz guitar, yes his technical ability puts most of us to shame, yes he has a mastery over arpeggios that Necrophagist would probably wank it to, yes he's a sought out guitar teacher around the world, yes every album he releases is more experimental than the last

And no, he does not have significant compositional skills and is not a good riff writer. I'm not sure why Animals as Leaders even exists in a world with Blotted Science.

EDIT: duly noted is the fact that there are artists listed here nobody took the time to slander that cite his work as a major influence lmao

And I'm sure that the regulars of this forum feel the same way about those bands even if they didn't say it. The same things that can be said about Tosin Abasi can be said of most of the other djent and noodly prog bands and even to a lot of modern tech death. All flash and no substance.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I was mostly being satirical, the only Animals As Leaders album I actually enjoyed was The Joy of Motion and he stated he was trying to emphasize the melodies more than the techniques on it. The lead-work sounded amazing to me at the time, I never thought the riffs were particularly mind-blowing but they did the trick imo as far as providing a melodic canvas for him to solo around. I've also been told that I'm easily amused, though.
Well, I think I'll go turn myself off an' go on down
All the way down...
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
You know what I'm trying to say
Music, sweet music
I wish I could caress, and-a kiss
Manic Depression is a fustrating mess
Last edited by jazar94 at Nov 9, 2017,