Howdy folks

It's been a while since I had an NGD here but I am back (again) with another single cut (AGAIN).

Anyway, a little backstory about the guitar. It was originally a husk that was sold by Stratosphere guitars. I wasn't really intending to buy a new Les Paul but I always have the bug so I tend to browse a lot of gear sites when I'm bored. This particular one I have watched for a while but I was kind of weary of spending a good chunk of change for something like this because I have never purchased a guitar sans parts and I wasn't really sure if the place was on the up and up. Long story short, last month I was browsing guitars again and I saw that the price had dropped a decent amount of money. Still wasn't set so I put it off once more.

Then when I checked the website a week later, the price dropped another 100 bucks so I said to hell with it and got this a few days later:

The guitar was a 2014 Les Paul Peace in Peaceful Orange. Neck is a typical Gibson slim taper neck, top has a bit of flame going on and a nice looking back as well. Originally I think these came with the newer '61 humbuckers, min-e tune and the PCB setup. Obviously mine came with none of that (which is better for me cause all of it was gonna get gutted). Now I tend to tinker with guitars a lot so some of the parts I wanted to use for this thing I already had on hand. I didn't have pots, a bridge and a tailpiece I could use for the guitar though so I decided to splurge a little bit and order some parts from Creamtone. Got a nice harness, an aged set of hardware and some nice Greeny style knobs:

I was really happy with the stuff I got. The harness is really clean and everything came in a nice little box. If you ever need new parts for your LPs, you have to check Creamtone out. They're a small shop in the states and they do vintage style parts for regular USA LPs and Historics. They do plastics as well (and if I decide to grab a pickguard I'll probably get one from them).

So once I got all the parts in, I whipped out the trusty old iron and drill and got to work. Wired up the switch, harness and jack, drilled the headstock for the tuners and got it looking the way I like it:

The pickups I used were a set of double cream Golden Age humbuckers that I have played around with through the years. Originally I bought the set for another Les Paul and it came with an AII neck and an A5 bridge. Ended up swapping the magets for an AIII in the neck and an AII in the bridge and magnet flipped the neck for those out of phase tones. Rings are regular historic rings I had lying around and the tuners are single ring Klusons I pulled from my R8 when I swapped them. Now I think the Min-E tune is a direct swap for Grovers so I'm pretty sure the bushings I have are conversion ones. Either way, the guitar stays in tune and it sounds pretty sweet so far.

I'm super happy with what I ended up with. It was a fun project for me and a good excuse to dump some extra parts I had lying around. Here's a shot of the back and the headstock as well (minus the nasty Min-E tune TRC):

Thanks for checking it out and I'm really sorry mobile users. It's pretty pic heavy!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Beautiful result!

I realize that you used them because you had them on hand, but I really like the Golden Age HB choice. They're excellent bang-for-the-buck pickups that more people should know about.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Looking good! I think it would've looked amazing in all black hardware as well, but hey, it's not my guitar.

HNGD!
Quote by I K0nijn I
Looking good! I think it would've looked amazing in all black hardware as well, but hey, it's not my guitar.

HNGD!

Black hardware is for goldtops and customs

But yeah it would probably be sweet for it but I like a more traditional look so I went cream. I wouldnt mind some nickel covers though.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Beautiful result!

I realize that you used them because you had them on hand, but I really like the Golden Age HB choice. They're excellent bang-for-the-buck pickups that more people should know about.

Yeah theyre nice for sure. Ill probably keep them for now if Im honest cause they work really well. If I swap them I would probably just do an Unbucker in the neck and maybe a nice OX4 for the bridge.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Beautiful!I would love to do this if i had the know how.When i get some spare cash i may have a go at learning.Knowing me i would get addicted.
I really like the grain on than top in the close up pic.Just the right amount of flameyness.I would deffo do the Peter Green mod if it was mine.
Very nice.HNGD.

Edit:Just re-read you did do the out of phase thing.Perfect!
Last edited by EyeballPaul at May 18, 2016,
Many congrats! I have been looking at Stratosphere as well for a husk project. Way to tempt me even more!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese at #33974333
Many congrats! I have been looking at Stratosphere as well for a husk project. Way to tempt me even more!!!

Nice, were you looking at a partscaster kind of thing or a set neck like the one I went with? I was really weary of buying the husk but I asked tons of questions and the price dropped to a point were I figured I could take a hit if it ended up going wrong. Everything was functional and as described and the guitar was packed really well. I got this one without a case and they packed it great. I think if you get a case with it, they probably ship it with the guitar in it but I'm not sure on that part.

Quote by EyeballPaul at #33974332
Beautiful!I would love to do this if i had the know how.When i get some spare cash i may have a go at learning.Knowing me i would get addicted.
I really like the grain on than top in the close up pic.Just the right amount of flameyness.I would deffo do the Peter Green mod if it was mine.
Very nice.HNGD.

Edit:Just re-read you did do the out of phase thing.Perfect!

If you're comfy with soldering and basic drilling things then it's something you can do for sure. Keep in mind I probably wouldn't have gone for it if the price didn't drop and I had to buy all the parts separate. I imagine if I had to buy all the parts, the benefits of buying a stripped one might not be as obvious. It was still fun though.

The top is pretty nice for sure and yeah, I've already done it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster

If I saw something like this missing all its hardware, I would've probably have done what you've just did apart from the tuners. Grover keystones for me.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nice, were you looking at a partscaster kind of thing or a set neck like the one I went with? I was really weary of buying the husk but I asked tons of questions and the price dropped to a point were I figured I could take a hit if it ended up going wrong. Everything was functional and as described and the guitar was packed really well. I got this one without a case and they packed it great. I think if you get a case with it, they probably ship it with the guitar in it but I'm not sure on that part.

I was looking at doing a set neck husk like you did. I have had my eye on a couple SGs and LPs that need me to buy them. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience. It has made me feel better about taking the plunge.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Nice!
And not just for my orange guitar fetish.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter at #33974472
Nice!
And not just for my orange guitar fetish.

Thanks! I'll try to get some shots outside cause that's when the orange really pops out.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE at #33974463

If I saw something like this missing all its hardware, I would've probably have done what you've just did apart from the tuners. Grover keystones for me.

Thanks man! If I still had a set of Grovers I would've tossed them on for sure. I didn't have any lying around so I just went with the kluson style. The holes are drilled for modern style bushings though so I can convert them over to Grovers whenever I get the chance.

I'll have to get an aged set though to match the rest of the hardware

Quote by bobafettacheese at #33974471
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I was looking at doing a set neck husk like you did. I have had my eye on a couple SGs and LPs that need me to buy them. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience. It has made me feel better about taking the plunge.

Okay nice. Yeah that was kind of a tough thing for me as well since there aren't a lot of reviews for the site I got it from. Most of the ones I could find were moreso for the bolt on stuff too so it was kind of a shot in the dark. Well if you do end up building up a husk, good luck to you. It was really fun and hopefully it goes as smooth for you as it did for me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Ippon at #33974536
Congrats! Good job going with close to vintage stuff. The Peace knobs were a bit much.

I had that in my watch list, too. With thestratosphere's mailing/alert list for specials/discount coupons, you did well!

Thanks Ippon. I like the traditional look so I tried to stay as close as possible to it.

Yeah it was pretty crazy. I mean they had 3 of them in Peaceful Orange. I ordered mine and then maybe 10 minutes later, the rest of the them were gone as well. I guess the price was right for other people aside from me

Quote by gregs1020 at #33974532

well done.

but you can say les paul, it's a gibson.

Thanks and yeah you're totally right. I was debating saying too many Les Pauls but I like a bit of a tease so I went with single cut
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster