Also...

How experienced is he? What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
He plays mostly alternative rock, classic rock a little bit of metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sabbath) He's been playing a 70's style strat for about 6 months now. He plays constantly, and has progressed nicely. He's been using a little Blackstar Fly 3 mini amp with headphones. He wants a combo with a headphone out, that has good gain, and will take pedals well. I don't have a ton of money. $150 is my budget. I want to surprise him with it this weekend. Thanks.
Out of those two i prefer the sound of the Orange,I'm currently considering one of the bigger Crush amps,Maybe the CR60 or 120,however the Blackstar is more versatile for different genres imo.
The blackstar has was more options, but the orange will do well with pedals. I have the orange crush 35rt. Its a loud amp. I pretty much only play pedals thru it, I only use the drive channel when I actually get to turn it up. For bedroom practice low volume with pedals works great.

I also have a blackstar series one 45, so I will say that I love both blackstar and orange amps. Either amp will be nice, and a huge upgrade from the fly.