Hello dear musicians,

Me and my band are playing this Turkish rock song called "Yıldızların Altında" from a band named Kargo. (Means 'Under the Stars' for those who are curious).

Kargo-Yıldızların Altında

They asked me to write a solo for this song. I've been improvising on this song for a while but I somehow can't get it to sound right and fitting. Do you guys have any suggestions on what particular scales I should try that would sound best with this song?

Thank you for all the help.
hijaz maqam
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Find the key of the song. Figure out the chords. That should tell you which scale to use. BTW, what scale did you use over it when it didn't sound right?

Also, if you are going to write a solo, you shouldn't really worry about scales. Come up with melodies in your head. It's not about scales, it's about coming up with a melody that sounds good. As my signature says, there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Just use your ears and try to come up with melodies. Don't just move your fingers in a scale shape.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
What key is the song in? Pretty much you need to go by feel. Find the key and start from the notes. But even then you need to feel the progression.
song stuck in my head today

Quote by Redwave
Hello dear musicians,

Me and my band are playing this Turkish rock song called "Yıldızların Altında" from a band named Kargo. (Means 'Under the Stars' for those who are curious).

Kargo-Yıldızların Altında

They asked me to write a solo for this song. I've been improvising on this song for a while but I somehow can't get it to sound right and fitting. Do you guys have any suggestions on what particular scales I should try that would sound best with this song?

Thank you for all the help.
Do you actually know the song? I mean can you play it, all the way through? The chords and the riffs? If so, what more do you need to know? The notes are all there. (I'm always confused when people can play the chords of a song, even its riffs and melody too, and yet can't understand how to improvise on it... as if some other piece of knowledge is needed... )

If you want a name for the key/scale being used (ie a western name rather than a Turkish one), it's G minor, with strong harmonic minor content. So try G harmonic minor. And work from the chord tones, or start from the existing riffs and vocal melody (and if you can do that, you don't need a scale name).
Last edited by jongtr at May 19, 2016,