Hi, I started playing acoustic guitar in January of this year. Never touched one before. I know how to play chords but it does not ever sound like a song. I am a little slow changing chords so I have to slow down the strumming to do so but I just seem stuck at this level. How can I get over this hurdle? How long does the average player take to be able to play rhythm to a song? I am in a music class.
Hi Takamine, try practicing your chord changes without a song first. Do two strums for every chord. Go through your chord progressions forward and backward. Now try it again with a metronome. Set the metronome to a speed that you're comfortable changing chords at. Mix up your chords, such as: C, A, D, E, G, C, D, E, G, A, G, A, C, D. Try playing two strums for every chord, and keep with the metronome. If you find that you are having trouble with any of the transitions in particular, hone in on those transitions. Set your metronome slower and just keep practicing. Once you feel like you have it down, try them again at the faster speed. Re-integrate with the rest of the chords in your library. Rinse and repeat.