Poll Options
View poll results: How much pain for #gains
No pain NO GAIN pussy
23 64%
You have one body, take care of it bro
13 36%
Voters: 36.
Page 1 of 2
Because idk using how much pain you're feeling to determine if an exercise is successful or not seems like a really poor judgement in the long term for your body

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I think it's a more general metaphor for success being impossible to achieve without some form of personal sacrifice. You gotta work to achieve your goals man, that's why I'm such a loser.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

You shouldn't feel pain when you are exercising, that would mean you are doing it wrong. No pain no gain refers to sacrafice. When I was lifting at my best, I was going to the gym 4x a week and putting aside my social life just so I could achieve a small goal.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by RAB11
I think it's a more general metaphor for success being impossible to achieve without some form of personal sacrifice
which, like most general metaphors, has very little basis in reality outside of being a platitude.
I think anyone who is serious about #gains deserves 200% of their upper tolerable limit of pain.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
In terms of exercising, "pain" is not good, but there is a certain amount of discomfort that is normal and not harmful.

but yeah no pain no gain is more of a general phrase as others have said
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
In terms of exercising, "pain" is not good, but there is a certain amount of discomfort that is normal and not harmful.

but yeah no pain no gain is more of a general phrase as others have said

No discomfort no Rumford...

...fireplace to sit next to when you count your wins.
You should feel a little "burn" or stress when you work out, but if you overdo it, that's when you feel pain. Stop, if that happens.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
No pain no gain indeed, you're not supposed to hurt yourself when working out, obviously, but you have to "suffer" through tough exercises and keep pushing yourself if you want to grow muscle, which can be tough, I think this is more for all the people who give up very easily while lifting, and quit as soon as it gets a bit hard.

It's supposed to be hard if you want to build mass or cut, you have to push yourself to get stronger. Almost the same thing with guitar.
Quote by RAB11
I think it's a more general metaphor for success being impossible to achieve without some form of personal sacrifice. You gotta work to achieve your goals man, that's why I'm such a loser.

Being in pain isn't indicative of success, though.
This is anal as a concept.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I thought this thread was going to be about anal sex
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

No. It's a great way to injure yourself, though. What IS true is 'if you're comfortable, you're not progressing.' Progress is uncomfortable. It should never be physically PAINFUL. Ever. As for your secondary question about how much pain is too much, if it's in your joints, ANY pain is too much and you should stop IMMEDIATELY. For muscles, discomfort is fine. Pain - sharp, throbbing, dull aching - is not. If you're sore the next day or the next few days, that's okay. If you're sore for a week, you overdid it. A lot. That whole 'work 'til you're dead' mentality is horrible, and if you train seriously, in any arena, you can't do that for long without a serious injury. As a general rule, diet is 1/3, hard work is 1/3, and recovery is a critical 1/3 of the total factor.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by RAB11

Surprised people take the saying literally tbh.

The idea of personal sacrifice doesn't even solely pertain to physical pain as well. It's about deciding whether you want to be comfortable and stagnant, or uncomfortable and exploring self betterment. Could be something as simple as giving up a day of burgers to lift weights.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
eating more is not painful

Quote by RAB11 at #33975321
I think it's a more general metaphor for success being impossible to achieve without some form of personal sacrifice. You gotta work to achieve your goals man

yea
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
My rule of thumb is that I should start struggling to finish the exercise about 2/3 of the way through and feel like I'm ready to bail by the tail end of it.
Not pain like severe joint pain or something, but pain like I'm dead tired, it's been a long day and I'd love to go home and take a nap but it's time to hit the gym anyway. Forgive me father for these gains I'm about to receive 💪👈
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
depends on the pain you're talking about

like you can progress pretty far in terms of learning music, becoming musician with a decent discography, quality music etc without ever facing too much "pain"
that's why musicians drink and take drugs... so they can work harder at what they do without feeling tired or in pain...

anything else in life you gotta "sweat" a little to get there...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by ErikLensherr
Not pain like severe joint pain or something, but pain like I'm dead tired, it's been a long day and I'd love to go home and take a nap but it's time to hit the gym anyway. Forgive me father for these gains I'm about to receive 💪👈

Did you see his new video? That guy is consistently so funny and after all of this time makes quality stuff doing exactly the same thing. It's incredible.
Quote by soundgarden1986
almost everything good in my life has been a result of dumb luck i dont know what pain is

same everything actually painful has not been worth the trouble really

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I don't think anybody got better at anything by remaining in their comfort zone. Stepping out of it is painful, hence no pain, no gain
If there was anything to be gained out of pain I'd be successful as shit in every possible way

So no its a fucking dumb saying
It's a metaphor for any type of work and also generally refers to "good" pain/tiredness with regard to exercise.

However, I am used to working through "bad" pain (indicative of injury) in dance and I would consider "no pain no gain" to be applied quite literally in that context. If you can't work through pain in class what are you gonna do when you're performing?
cat
Quote by chrismendiola at #33975552
My rule of thumb is that I should start struggling to finish the exercise about 2/3 of the way through and feel like I'm ready to bail by the tail end of it.

yea

some I do until failure if it's my last set, but I dunno how good that is
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by chrismendiola at #33975670
Did you see his new video? That guy is consistently so funny and after all of this time makes quality stuff doing exactly the same thing. It's incredible.

He's hilarious. He's also gonna be in the next Tyler Perry movie 🙌 🙌
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's all about balance. For example, when trying to evacuate a particularly troublesome stool, please don't strain TOO hard as you may invoke an aneurysm. Take care out there, people.
HAIL TIM SMITH, HARBRINGER OF FADELESS SPLENDOUR !

Most beloved recent band discoveries : Midori / Mass of The Fermenting Dregs
That falls under the category of Brolosophy.
Along with other classic gems such as No Fear and Yolo.
Page 1 of 2