Hi folks..

A brief introduction, I had a GT8 which I have been living with for more than 10 years.. it is nice but now I started to change approach and go pedals instead of compact multi-effects processor... I have a Laney IRT Studio head and Laney IRT112 cabinet...

I just have a Crybaby 535Q now which I use in front of the preamp but I am planning to get just a delay pedal (and may be a chorus pedal too) and put them in the amp FX Loop

Now I am living with the fact that I have much noise especially on the Lead channel.. I noted that I have two sources of noise:
1. Guitar noise which goes once I touch the bridge or strings or when I turn volume down
2. Amp noise which is always there once I increase the gain or volume, or when I turn on the amp Boost feature

After some research I cam up with the fact that I need two noise gates with the following chain:
Guitar > Noise Gate > Wah > Pre-amp > Noise Gate > Delay/Chorus > Power Amp

Question 1: is my assumed chain above correct?

If yes, to achieve this, I noted some noise gate pedals are having input/send/return/output connections like the Boss NS-2 and the ISP Decimator II (or G String).. so I believe if I got one of them my problem will be solved as I can plug them as follows:

Guitar > Noise Gate (input) > Noise Gate (send) > Wah > Pre-amp > Amp (send) > Noise Gate (return) > Noise Gate (output) > Delay/Chorus > Amp (return)

Question 2: is the assumption above correct?

Question 3: Which do you recommend? Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator II ?

Question 4: What is the difference between Decimator II and G String?

Thanks...
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
To do what you want, the NS-2 is probably the best bet of the two. Despite what everyone thinks, the ISP G String doesn't have 2 gate loops, it only has 1. The other loop is a monitor loop to sense the original signal and help the pedal match the original signal a bit more. The regular decimators don't have the monitor loop, only the gate loop.

The noise from your guitar can easily be fixed with a soldering iron though, it just needs to be properly grounded. Then you would only need one noise gate.

Now, I've used an NS-2, an ISP G string and a few modeller noise gates, and unless you are dead set on buying used, I'd try out the TC Sentry. The TC has the double loop like the NS-2 and Tone Print to let you dial out specific frequency hums and buzzes like you get from your amp or guitar.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I downloaded the G String manual.. it has same loop function like the NS-2... The Decimator II doesn't ..
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Laney IRT Studio

JHS Little Black Amp Box
For fx loop noise gate so far I've heard the best is still the Rocktron Hush. Simple, no frills, easy to dial in, and that's all it does - kills fx loop noise:
http://www.rocktron.com/hush-the-pedal.html
Saw it around $70 on some sites. I wouldn't use that for the front though, tested it about 2 years ago on my friend's 5150 and it didn't work well.

For the front, I'd say MXR Smart Gate, that's what I use. The Boss should work OK, I just didn't like the way that pedal adds (or steals) a bit from the overall tone, even when not on. Had it in the studio on quite a bit of musicians' rigs and we always ended up using mine (the MXR) after A/B tests. Haven't tried the ISP, since I had solved my noise gate problems before they came up on the market

Actually towards the end of my full time gigging career I switched to a GT-10 which has 2 noise gates built in, I put it in 4 cable mode, with one of its noise gates right after my guitar and the other noise gate in the return from the amp (after fx send on the amp). That did the trick.

If you're going with individual pedals, I'd say start first with a noise gate up front and see if that fixes things, If not - add one on the fx loop.
Quote by mockbel
I downloaded the G String manual.. it has same loop function like the NS-2... The Decimator II doesn't ..

Trust me. No, it doesn't. I've owned one. If you do what you're trying to do with a Decimator G String I or II it's going to decay all weird and won't work how you want it to. "DEC loop" stands for "Decay" and it's strictly there to tell the pedal how to decay.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by diabolical
For fx loop noise gate so far I've heard the best is still the Rocktron Hush. Simple, no frills, easy to dial in, and that's all it does - kills fx loop noise:
http://www.rocktron.com/hush-the-pedal.html
Saw it around $70 on some sites. I wouldn't use that for the front though, tested it about 2 years ago on my friend's 5150 and it didn't work well.

For the front, I'd say MXR Smart Gate, that's what I use. The Boss should work OK, I just didn't like the way that pedal adds (or steals) a bit from the overall tone, even when not on. Had it in the studio on quite a bit of musicians' rigs and we always ended up using mine (the MXR) after A/B tests. Haven't tried the ISP, since I had solved my noise gate problems before they came up on the market

Actually towards the end of my full time gigging career I switched to a GT-10 which has 2 noise gates built in, I put it in 4 cable mode, with one of its noise gates right after my guitar and the other noise gate in the return from the amp (after fx send on the amp). That did the trick.

If you're going with individual pedals, I'd say start first with a noise gate up front and see if that fixes things, If not - add one on the fx loop.

I believe the two noise gates on your GT-10 are doing the same function of the NS-2... same manufacturer and I believe same technology... with the facts that usually individual pedals do the job better..
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Laney IRT Studio

JHS Little Black Amp Box
I like my NS-2 and don't notice any of the tone sucking that people talk about..
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
I recommend to fix the ground on your guitar instead of covering it up with a noise gate.

For the second noise gate in your chain the NS-2 and ISP Decimator (G-string if you want the loop too) are the standards.

I own a regular ISP Decimator and run it in front of my Mesa but in the loop of my 5150. If I had to buy another gate I'd strongly look at the TC Electronic Sentry Gate, probably buy one and then flip it if I didn't like it. I'm on a TC Electronic binge lately - chorus, flanger, delay, looper - great stuff at a great (used) price so far. The Tone Prints are very cool. Ian and Holt use their Gate now (or are at least paid to endorse it) . . . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Spotted a used NS-2 listed locally? Should I hunt it ??????
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Laney IRT Studio

JHS Little Black Amp Box
Quote by mockbel
I believe the two noise gates on your GT-10 are doing the same function of the NS-2... same manufacturer and I believe same technology... with the facts that usually individual pedals do the job better..

Well...in my case I don't think they sound the same, maybe because the A/D conversion is done already they seem to sound better on the GT-10 than as standalone.
first, if you touch the strings or metal on the guitar and noise is getting quieter, you need to pull out the soldering iron and fix your grounding.

second, i think that either the NS-2 or the ISP will work fine. i have used both (only owned the ISP), and either will get the job done.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
See this one guys... I think this is exactly what I am looking for.. totally independent two pedals in one !!

http://www.rocktron.com/hush-2x.html

But the question here... what is the quality of this pedal??
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Laney IRT Studio

JHS Little Black Amp Box
Quote by TheStig1214
Trust me. No, it doesn't. I've owned one. If you do what you're trying to do with a Decimator G String I or II it's going to decay all weird and won't work how you want it to. "DEC loop" stands for "Decay" and it's strictly there to tell the pedal how to decay.

unfortunately, you seem to be right

I think it is the case with ALL other noise gate pedals with LOOP feature... I am not sure to what extent I got it right but among the NS2, Decimator G String, and TC Sentry, I realized that gating is applied based on INPUT only.. i.e. one threshold is set as there is only one noise suppression circuit... I don't know exactly now how those pedals work and what is the use of the LOOP

The only exception I came across was the Rocktron Hush 2X. This pedal has a real two circuits with two independent threshold knobs. However, I read many negative reviews regarding its operation as it is still uses old technologies and cuts much of your tone..

I need a tech input here.. specifically for the NS2 as it is the one I am about to purchase, where the noise reduction is exactly done???? What is the LOOP function if it is not sensing the noise coming from pedals in the loop and deals with it???

Thanks guys
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Laney IRT Studio

JHS Little Black Amp Box
I got the NS-2.. it does the job very well
I like the MUTE mode.. saves from very loud clicks when changing guitars

I connect it like this...

Guitar > NS2 Input > NS2 Send > Wah > Amp Input > Amp Send > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > Amp Return

I don't feel any cutting in my tone and I really like it

Thanks to your input guys
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Laney IRT Studio