Okay, used to have several tube amps... LOVED a couple of them. However, money got tight when I lived in Austin and I had to sell them all. Now back in New Mexico, and am thinking about getting another one. I want something small enough to use at home, but having a large enough speaker to sound good when miced up.

I used to have an AC15 and a Hot Rod Deluxe. Also owned a Marshall and a Crate. If I had to pick a favorite for clean tone, it would have been the Fender. However, I am a Vox fan, and like the tone of their tube amps right on the edge of breakup. I have a small Vox Pathfinder, which sounds fine for low volume stuff.

Anyways, just curious about the options out there...

tags: bollywood ringtone , car racing game , funny ringtones download
Last edited by jackdoom at May 22, 2016,
Carvin V3MC: tiny package, but 50w, 1x12, 3 channels.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Laney VC30 or VC15 would be a good choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Have a look at the Traynor dark horse. Switchable from 15w to 2w, but they aren't high gain amps so it's probably not what you'd want of you intend to use the amps gain if playing metal or rock.
Quote by esky15
Have a look at the Traynor dark horse. Switchable from 15w to 2w, but they aren't high gain amps so it's probably not what you'd want of you intend to use the amps gain if playing metal or rock.

Just about to suggest the Iron Horse. It's very basic, but great if you use pedals.
Its big brothers- the Carvin Nomad and BelAir- are also damn nice.

Which is best for you depends on genre, budget, space, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 19, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Carvin V3MC: tiny package, but 50w, 1x12, 3 channels.

I borrowed a friends V3M for a few months and for whatever reason I just couldn't love it. It's definitely got a love or hate sound to it. An EQ in the loop helped and It's versatile for sure, but I think my JCA20H sounds better. Of course this is all just an opinion and the JCA is a one trick pony.
The Transatlantic is another excellent option (and on my G.A.S. list). I've seen 1x12s go as low as @$1300.

I like the JCAs, too, but like you say, they're a bit of a one trick pony. They do that trick well, though.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 19, 2016,
A second vote for the Carvin Nomad/Belair (1x12/2x12 combos).
Bias alert: I have a Belair with a pair of V30's.
And they can be had used $400-650 on Reverb.com.

Quote by esky15

+1

I have one and I love it. With a BBE Freqboost I can get it to Sound like EVH in 1977!
orange tiny terror?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 to that.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Transatlantic is another excellent option (and on my G.A.S. list). I've seen 1x12s go as low as @$1300.

I like the JCAs, too, but like you say, they're a bit of a one trick pony. They do that trick well, though.

Don't get me wrong, with the right tubes I am sure the V3M would sound much better, and after I gave it back to it's owner he ditched the stock tubes for JJ's and says it made a world of difference in the fizzyness of the gain. I almost bought it, he just sold the thing for $450 I was a little sad I didn't have the money to spend at the time. I do like cleans and the JCA just isn't doing good cleans.
Quote by J_W
Don't get me wrong, with the right tubes I am sure the V3M would sound much better, and after I gave it back to it's owner he ditched the stock tubes for JJ's and says it made a world of difference in the fizzyness of the gain. I almost bought it, he just sold the thing for $450 I was a little sad I didn't have the money to spend at the time. I do like cleans and the JCA just isn't doing good cleans.

The JCA 5212 combo has excellent cleans, but not hi-gain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The JCA 5212 combo has excellent cleans, but not hi-gain

I need my high gain.
Quote by J_W
Don't get me wrong, with the right tubes I am sure the V3M would sound much better, and after I gave it back to it's owner he ditched the stock tubes for JJ's and says it made a world of difference in the fizzyness of the gain.

I'll keep that in mind if I get a V3MC myself.

Quote by kentuckyklira
+1

I have one and I love it. With a BBE Freqboost I can get it to Sound like EVH in 1977!

Yea I've got the ironhorse. Love the thing. Haven't played with a dark horse or the quarter horse though.
How about a Peavey Classic 30MH? May get you the ac30 tone you want and some dirt.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .