Hi there.

I'm a Boss GT-10 owner and as all the other GT-10 users I tweak and try out a lot of things, almost every day!
Just recently I read something about Unity Gain and Level Matching.
I'm not sure that I fully understand the concept of this?
Is this something that you guys can tell me more about?

Perhaps there's some GT-10 users on this forum!

THANKS!
Hey, I am a GT-10 user.

Basically this:
http://homerecording.about.com/od/homestudiobasics/f/unity_gain.htm

All your patches should match at 0db, I guess you can use a DAW input or the GT-10s USB input to PC to measure it.

The idea is that your patches should be at the same level, something that is actually quite hard to do on the GT-10 as I've found out
Hi there!

Nice to meet you, a fellow GT-10 user!

Okay, but how do I go about it, exactly? How can I check it?
Can I check it on the GT-10 itself, or?

Do you have a certain way you do it, for example? :-)

Also, I would like to know how you're running your GT-10 - to an amp, or straight to the PA?
That is a fine science, my friend Actually quite messy, as you have patches that sound different at different volume. You also have the output settings in the GT-10 to tune for your desired output (Line Out, Small Amp, Fx Retrun, etc...), which changes the eq and tuning of the amp.

I have mine set up for FX return when I run it into tube power amp (Peavey Classic 50/50).
So once you have your concert volume, and your output level set (I have mine at about 2 o'clock, but you can keep it on middle as in the picture):
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/images/products/gallery/gt_10_top_gal.jpg

Then just adjust the "patch level" to match the desired patch level that you're starting with by ear. The idea is that your clean should sound as loud as your crunch and your distortion patches. I am running mine in mono, so in stereo the whole picture changes again. I always have my lead patch a little louder as a boost to cut through, but the idea is that you match the volume of all to be about the same.

You can get more scientific and use the GT-10s USB input (with the driver installed) in your DAW, say Reaper (I use Studio One). So your output should be matched in level on the level meter to go to 0db. If you don't want to mess with that - just use your ears and try to get it as close as you can. The idea is to do it on stage volume as when you decrease the overall volume the patches will change volume. Same thing with headphones, at least that is what I found out.

I use for the most part the GT-10 as a small rehearsal tool (when I meet a few friends with a PA so I don't have to carry amps), or when I did orchestra gigs where they just plugged me in a PA and I had all my patches programmed to go along with the score. I sometimes record and reamp through it, although lately I do that with real amps as I finally have that capability in my home studio.

Live, for the most part I used it as a controller and fx box in a 4 cable setup, and it controlled my PSA-1 preamp via midi. The way I had it programmed the GT-10 bypassed the PSA-1 for clean and for crunch and distortion sounds I bypassed the GT-10s amp modules and used the PSA-1. All the effects were from the GT-10 and in 4 cable method I could tell what I wanted to use before and after the preamp. Since the PSA-1 has midi input I could use the GT-10 to switch patches on that as well.

Here is a video on 4 cable method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpmbEcYfEZI

Roland's forum on that:
https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/entries/80850509-GT-10-4-Cable-Method-connections-and-settings-

Here's a diagram:

Depending on what you connect, you can choose the output type. When connecting to an amp I kinda go with what sounds best based on the amp. "Line out" when connecting to a PA works best IMO.
Hi again :-)

Now, I've been thinking a lot about this Unity Gain and Level Matching over the night, and I really find it hard to wrap my head around.. I see why it is important and how it can help me, especially in live situations. Because, for the past months, I've found it hard to know where and how much I should adjust the volume pedal, when playing.
Sometimes the levels are fine and on other patches the level's just too much..
And I see that's where the whole Unity Gain and Matching comes in handy.
Though, I'm still not quite sure I understand the whole process of it... Kind of makes me a little crazy!

Let me tell you, firstly, how I run my GT-10, maybe that'll make it a little easier to find out about this process..
I've started running my GT-10 in Stereo a couple of weeks ago, and I find that to be working very well. Especially for the Modulation, delay and reverb effects. That also means that for the Preamp section I have the Preamps set at Dual L/R-mode. So I have the Dual amps going on, on every patch. I have the Output Select set at Phones/Line, because I use the built-in amps and cabs of the GT-10. Therefore, when I play gigs and rehearsal with my band, I run straight to our PA. It kind of makes it easier for me, and the quality is actually quite good. So that's how I run the GT-10.

Moving on -
Yeah, I can see why and how it can be messy.. But lets say I have this one patch where I start out on two clean amps with some chorus and reverb, and then later have to switch the clean amps to two overdriven amps with a little bit of stereo comp and maybe a booster. Of course I would turn the chorus off or at least adjust the mix of it, so that it doesn't muddy up the sound. But with a patch like that, from clean to overdrive, would I then have to set the overdriven sound to match the clean? To make them match right? And what about when the other effects come on - the chorus, reverb and then later the stereo comp and clean boost? The stereo comp and the boost itself will add some volume changes to the sound, but will I then have to start with the stereo comp and listen for the level and adjust it, till it matches the overall level? And the same with the booster?
How would I go about adjusting them all together with the amps?
Would I have to turn one effect on at the time, and listen to the level, and adjust it, if there's a difference?

For the patch level I always leave it at 100/200.
Yeah, I see why the lead patch should be a little louder, to cut through. I often use the A&B Solo switch or an overdrive.
When you say "The idea is that you match the volume of all to be about the same" are you then talking about all the effects and switches in that particular patch?

Thanks